Collecting Semen

Help Support CattleToday:

Vet made it out today.
Said it is draining and the swelling has gone down quite a bit since he last saw him. Said there are 2 different holes that are draining. there is also a sore between his cleats. Pretty sure it is not foot rot. Hard to say if he got bit, stepped on a rock or got a cut between his cleats we will never know.
Hit him with another antibiotic. Left a powder medicine to put in some feed for him once a day. With this medicine we cannot ship him for 6 months after the last dose.

Going to scrap collecting from this bull and just collect from our 137Y bull instead. Going to wait until Pete is healed up and then do a collection then.

looks abcessed to me , I have had good luck with Coppertox on foot rot and sore feet , LA200 and banamine , maybe some dexomethosone for inflamation

Swelling has done some more. Been at the fair so I got to see him yesterday. Looking better and moving around better too.

Took Pete a bale and got a really good look at his leg. The swelling that was going clear up to his hock has gone away.
Still swollen around the pastern and between the hoof but he is able to walk around much better. Still draining a bit from the side.

Swelling is almost completely gone. Guy came out and did 2 collections on him. Said the first one was no good and the second was immature. :( :( :( :(
Tech guy said it was probably due to him having the infection but should get a good collection out of him this spring. His calves are growing really good so really hoping to get that collection done.

If the infection doesn't rebound then I'd try to collect him again in 6 weeks time. Sperm takes somewhere around 75 days (not sure on the exact figure) to mature and now that the old dead sperm should be gone you should be able to get a very good fresh batch soon.

Latest posts