Cold weather tips

Help Support CattleToday:

They say you shouldn't do this, but when the power is out I turn my master breaker off, I have a cord with two male ends on it that I run from the generator to a plug in receptacle in the house. I turn all the breakers off but the ones I need and the one the cord is plugged into. This only powers up one side of the breaker box but if I use the side that has the most items I need it's pretty nice.

They say you shouldn't do this, but when the power is out I turn my master breaker off, I have a cord with two male ends on it that I run from the generator to a plug in receptacle in the house. I turn all the breakers off but the ones I need and the one the cord is plugged into. This only powers up one side of the breaker box but if I use the side that has the most items I need it's pretty nice.
Need to be sure that the receptacle in the house and its wiring are rated for the output amps from the generator. Or at least the setting of the generator breaker feeding the receptacle you are connecting to at the generator.

Lots of people tip their wiper blades out away from the windshield when parked. Don't use hot liquid to get a door opened. It will eventually freeze. Park close enough that with an extension cord you can use a hair drier to thaw a door. Tie or wire gates. Don't use snaps that can freeze. Be very aware of carbon dioxide if you are thinking of a propane heater or generator inside the house or attached garage.

We're having trouble starting diesel trucks. My truck finally got going after several start and dies.

Sons truck started and ran a few seconds died and wouldn't fire. I pulled the filter and blew it out and it started up. But was clean. 6 this morning colder tonight. I'm assuming I need to be putting a additive in??
I've got equipment scattered around on job sites. Everything is good on antifreeze and won't be used till it warms. Will the diesel and def be ok ??
if any stations have #1 diesel, that is what you will want to fill up with once it warms a bit to get things running. you most likely have #2 diesel in now which gels up at a higher temp that #1. A fuel additive may be your best option now; you can add it to your tank and it will help raise the gel point. DEF freezes at a higher temp that your diesel fuel gels up. most DEF systems uses circulating coolant electric heater, or return warm fuel to heat the DEF fluid. you could try spraying starting fluid or ether in the air intake to get things running if that is available but use sparingly if you are not use to using it. Cold weather sucks even when you are use to dealing with it.

Never would have bought a boot/glove dryer for myself, but got one as a present. They're real nice! Find myself using off and on throughout the year as well.

Lots of people tip their wiper blades out away from the windshield when parked. Don't use hot liquid to get a door opened. It will eventually freeze. Park close enough that with an extension cord you can use a hair drier to thaw a door. Tie or wire gates. Don't use snaps that can freeze. Be very aware of carbon dioxide if you are thinking of a propane heater or generator inside the house or attached garage.
And if you do use a hair dryer to thaw out your door and it still doesn't open, hit the "unlock" button. 🙄

Well we got down to a -56°f with the windchill at that temperature everything becomes a pain in the you know what! 10 days straight with a temp below -13°f wind chill -30°f or lower. Even then I prefer leather boots with wool socks to my fancy "winter boots"

1613478592981.png
If you can find some this stuff is a life saver. Put it in your gelled diesel and it works its way through the gelled lines. #1 fuel is even better, but only before they gel. We run an almost 50/50 mix of #1&#2 in our tractors. They always start.

Woke up to no water in the house, forgot to leave sink dripping. Spent 30 minutes outside with a blow dryer so I could have water to make coffee. It was 5 here with a wind chill of -9. We're a little better set up for it than y'all @callmefence, but not for this cold. 20 is usually as cold as it gets here, tonight is gonna be zero. Cows are eating snow because water in troughs is solid ice, no busting it.
Use your chainsaw to cut a square hole.

View attachment 2339
If you can find some this stuff is a life saver. Put it in your gelled diesel and it works its way through the gelled lines. #1 fuel is even better, but only before they gel. We run an almost 50/50 mix of #1&#2 in our tractors. They always start.
That stuff had horrible reviews online for actually working. They had to use like double the reccomend amout. There was a white jug from the same brand that did good.

A HotShot brand was a top performer. Seafoam lists itself as preventing gel. I bought out the 5 bottles of stp gel prevention stuff here.

That stuff had horrible reviews online for actually working. They had to use like double the reccomend amout. There was a white jug from the same brand that did good.

A HotShot brand was a top performer. Seafoam lists itself as preventing gel. I bought out the 5 bottles of stp gel prevention stuff here.
The white bottle of 911 is to be used before you have a problem. The red 911 is for after a diesel engine gels.
Not sure about the online reviews. It's what our local JD Dealer carries. I've used it on tractors with success, and I know several semi drivers that carry a bottle with them "just in case" .

The white bottle of 911 is to be used before you have a problem. The red 911 is for after a diesel engine gels.
Not sure about the online reviews. It's what our local JD Dealer carries. I've used it on tractors with success, and I know several semi drivers that carry a bottle with them "just in case" .
I have used it and keep some just in case all the time

If fuel is gelled Meltdown SOS is the go to up here. If it's not gelled and you are concerned that it will be there are lots of good fuel conditioner products for prevention.

My son in law's Duramax has jelled and won't start. He can't find that Diesel 9-1-1 anywhere. He lives near Austin.
Our Dodges have been gelled every morning. I don't know why but it seems like if we leave the key in the run position for about 20 minutes they will then start right up.

Latest posts