Coccidia

Help Support CattleToday:

Gale Seddon

Reaction score
My three weanlings, 8 months old now, were diagnosed with coccidia (fecal test) about a month ago. They received treatment level of CORID in their water and are now in their 3rd week of the prevention level (1/2 strength CORID in their water). Thankfully, their manure has firmed up; their appetite is good (it never was bad, except for one heifer who won't eat grain anyway, go figure!). They've got their own pasture and get hay twice a day also. I'll get another fecal test done soon to see where we stand.

My question: Is their pasture now "contaminated?" If so, what should I do to fix this, and when would it be safe for other cows to be in this pasture? Should they remain away from the other cattle and their month-old calves? For how long? This is the first time in 12 years we've ever had this problem. The people at Merial weren't a big help. I'll ask the vet also, but wanted to get practical advice from people who might have actual experience with the pasture questions. Thanks for any help on this!

That's an excellent website, and not just for the coccidia info! Many thanks. I hope other people bookmark that one too.

We brought in coccidia about 20 years ago with dairy-cross calves, usually only a problem when we wean in the corral, which is really pretty clean and large, but one
or more usually get it if we fail to use Corid in the water when we wean (and we wean gradually, virtually no stress, they nurse twice a day for several days, gradually cut down). We occasionally have a pasture calf get it, pretty rarely, but you must treat quickly, we use boluses of
Sustain III. I watch all pasture calves carefully, didn't catch the first one til there was blood in the feces and she may have had permanent damage as a result. Have
one seven month old bull calf that seems pre-disposed to having it, with age he should become immune. I don't think there is any way to get rid of it. Just watch for
the dreaded "messy butt"! At least it's easy to cure.

Thanks, mjnetex. I'm all done with the Corid, but still not sure what to do about their pasture. Never saw any blood thankfully. They seem none the worse for wear. But I think when I wean the next two (in the spring), I will start out with Corid to see if I can head this problem off at the pass. I'll talk to the vet about it before I do this.

Gale it won't hurt to have the next bunch on some feed containing either Rumensin(Monensin) or Bovatec (Lasalosid Sodium). Both or good preventives.

TB, I know about that stuff, but avoided it this time because I have 3 donkey geldings in the same general area and their main goal in life is to scour the ground for any "dividends" that the cows might have left behind. I just can't take a chance like that with my boys!