club calves

Help Support CattleToday:

farmgrl09

Reaction score
I feel stupid asking this question because I feel like i should know, but I was wondering, what exactly is a "club calf"?

the name first came about when they called a show calf a "project calf" for 4-h projects which involved into a "club calf"

Club calf is just a catch all for any calf that is sold for the showring. Could be a crossbred or purebred. Anymore, a lot of them are AI or ET calves out of a handful of bulls. Some of the "name" bulls are Who Made Who, Friction, Heatseeker, Heat Wave, etc. Some times people who raise cattle in general, throw a club calf label on their steers and double or triple the price. Newbies don't know any better. Ask the breeder how long they've been breeding for the show ring, and past successes. Takes a while to build up a good base of breeding stock.

Rule of thumb: If the calf looks nicer than you do on Sunday morning, than its a club calf.

haha...thats a good one! So would any calf that is shown considered a club calf?

In the start, the calves that were shown were called Club Calves.

Now, in today's standard, club calves have certain show genes. They are made to have tremendous eye appeal and super long hair.

So, way back when, when the term 'Club Calf' was just created, any calf being shown could be labeled that. But today, the term 'Club Calf' has a whole new face.

-Angus Girl

Latest posts