braking calves with a donkey

Help Support CattleToday:

rotten

Reaction score
just bought a yearling donkey it is a jack he has never been mess with till I got him , he does enjoy being petted and brushed once caught but very skittish wanting to use him to brake calves to lead how is this done once I get him tame

rotten":2oiv1z99 said:
just bought a yearling donkey it is a jack he has never been mess with till I got him , he does enjoy being petted and brushed once caught but very skittish wanting to use him to brake calves to lead how is this done once I get him tame

I'd cut him. Jack donkeys can be very aggressive towards people and other animals.

If you have never used a donkey to break calves before, you are asking for one H*** of a mess! A good donkey will only help a calf learn pressure and release, you still have to do all the ground work. We used a donkey for a few special cases, and he did the job well, but he knew the drill. He was an intact jack who was used to break Percheron colts to lead for 10 years before we got him. I would never recommend an inexperienced, intact jack as a breaking donkey. A good calf breaker has to be dead calm, and not loose their cool, ever.

I recommend you find someone in your area who has and uses a donkey. Most steer jocks worth their salt will have a donkey in their pasture. There are plenty of people out there who use them and know how to properly, don't risk a major mess when it is easily avoidable. Not trying to be harsh here, but I'm assuming you are a beginner, and this whole thing sounds like an excellent way to get hurt! :2cents:

PS. If I'm completely wrong on the beginner thing, feel free to read me the riot act. And if you are willing to post your location, I may be able to point you in the direction of someone who could help you with this endeavor.

beginner with the donkey thing but seasoned with the calf thing every donkey has to start some where figured id give it a shot there are several around but they were all purchased as finished animals figured if I could brake some of the calves that I have I could teach a donkey lol

There is a reason they were purchased finished. I would start by getting him cut, then work on desensitizing the daylights out of him. Good luck!

Also, steer planet.com will have quite a few people on board who use donkeys regularly.

Latest posts