Clover

Help Support CattleToday:

TomW

Reaction score
I am planning on putting down some clover seed soon. Our local FNH guy has a drill to rent for $200 day - I am only planting 50 pounds. The question - do I rent the drill or just spread it and maybe an extra 50 lbs to compensate for the germination loss.
Seed is $135 /50 lbs
Would the drill really ge that much better germination?
thanks
tom

Depends on several things. Are you attempting to get some clover established in an existing stand of grass, or grow strictly clover in a field?

TomW":3gq1j6dk said:
Sorry-- I wasn't too clear. This will be in an existing stand.
tom

If you want to try and get a stand established this spring, I would probably rent the drill. Getting clover established in an existing stand of grass has it challenges. I have had decent success by broadcasting the seed onto the ground in late fall/early winter. The freeze/thaw of winter will work the seed into the ground, and it will then germinate when the ground temperature warms up. Really isn't enough time for that this year, as spring is just around the corner. (Hopefully)

Depends, just like the extension agent always says. If you are far enough north and are still getting thawing in the day and freezing at night and the grass is short enough where you can be assured the clover seed will come in contact with the soil you can broadcast and get a stand. If the grass is long and you can't be sure of seed to soil contact then wait for dryer conditions and no till. Do check with local NRCS. Here in E.C. Indiana the last I checked the rate was $36 for the first day and $8 per acre for drill rental.

Pete

Not sure if it will work where you are at or not, but I have had good luck running a disk over the existing sod. I run it with no cut (no angle) on the disks, just leaves the sod scratched. I then sling seed in a 3pt seeder while dragging a cattle panel behind it. It really has worked good for me, but we usually sow clover seed in the fall here.
If you got cattle or any type of livestock on the ground then they will also help with the ground contact.
Good Luck

Does the stand already have some clover in it? If so, let the whole field go to seed and then cut it. That is how we replenish the forages in our fields. :cboy:

Latest posts