Clover in florida?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Another thread got me thinking.
Does anyone plant any clovers in florida. If so, what varieties and when?
I tried a few times and it never did anything and I've been old that it won't down here.

Never seen it do much on our place. Dad said my grandfather had a pretty good stand back in the sixties. Don't know the variety but it was in a wet part of the place.

LRTX1":19en4864 said:
Never seen it do much on our place. Dad said my grandfather had a pretty good stand back in the sixties. Don't know the variety but it was in a wet part of the place.
That's what I was thinking. Not enough consistent rainfall throughout the year to keep it

That's only because the gvt wouldn't let us cut the cypress stands and fill em

Hook I'm not in Florida but am in extreme south mississippi. Very sandy soil and hot temperatures. I don't grow clover for my cattle but I do grow some on wildlife plots. The key is lime. You have to get the ph up or it won't do anything. I plant crimson which is a winter clover and durana which is a white clover that grows year round. If you get the ph right and get a stand established a patch will last about 4 to 5 years only requiring summer and early fall mowings.

Yep--my dad tried it here years ago--didn't do squat after 3 months. Old pine forest land--needs about 10 tons of lime/acre here to get the ph right.

I don't know how it grows so good on the right away but it will be nearly a foot tall and solid red for miles here. I've tried it and best I could get was a fair stand.

That hairy indigo sounds like it may be good. Especially in a rotational grazing setup.

Everything I've read says H.Indigo is very nutritious/high protein, but not very palatable... so you might have to force it on them a bit. On the upside, that means that it probably won't be totally stripped by deer. I actually like the fact that its pretty persistant, means you won't have to friggin caress it to keep it going.