clover hay big rounds

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
I have 5 big round hay bales. About 1100-1200 lbs.
It is almost pure clover it was put up dry. Can it make the cows sick to get that much clover are is it OK?
The hay I feed is mostly just grass with very little clover.
Thanks for info Jeff

JeffK-MN":119rp6lj said:
It is almost pure clover it was put up dry. Can it make the cows sick to get that much clover are is it OK?
Thanks for info Jeff
If it were me I wouldn't worry about it. The drying and curing process is going to take care of the issues with clover IMO. No different than grazing alfalfa vs. alfalfa hay.

Banjo":74atq334 said:
JeffK-MN":74atq334 said:
Thanks for info Jeff
If it were me I wouldn't worry about it. The drying and curing process is going to take care of the issues with clover IMO. No different than grazing alfalfa vs. alfalfa hay.
I feel pretty much the same. My only concern would be that they will over eat the stuff and never leave the feeders. One year we got a load of oat hay and they screwed up and included a half dozen bales of alfalfa with a little bit of oats thrown in. Girls never left the feeders with the mostly alfalfa stuff. But they did lick the ground clean inside the feeders instead of leaving bit of junk in the bottom.

I feed it each year with no problems at all but what you might want to consider is the rolls have a bunch of seed in them. I will sometimes just unroll the bales in areas I want clover and let them eat if off the ground. This spreads the clover see over a wider area. Of course they can spread it themselves after eating it but not as good as this method.

Jogeephus":1vv0mhk0 said:
I feed it each year with no problems at all but what you might want to consider is the rolls have a bunch of seed in them. I will sometimes just unroll the bales in areas I want clover and let them eat if off the ground. This spreads the clover see over a wider area. Of course they can spread it themselves after eating it but not as good as this method.
i do the same thing, works really well!

Thanks for the info
We feed three bales every 4 or 5 bays I will feed 1 clover with 2 grass bales.
I also want to spread some out on the ground in the pasture we use for calving to reseed it.
Jeff

Latest posts