clover bales make good hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
I was wondering do red clover bales make good hay? Do you have to worry about bloat? My neighbor is selling some big rounds probly 1800 Lb for $ 40.00 a bale, that sound reasonable? Do they keep well?

We never have any problem with bloat from our bales. But they are eating the same stuff in the pastures and are used to it.

Ours is mixed ladino and red clover and come orchard grass. Good stuff.

Price sounds fair. If they were made right...they will keep.

mares eat oats and does eat oats, but cows love that clover.
And at that price I would too, wouldn't you?

certherfbeef":1zrtrzdk said:
We never have any problem with bloat from our bales. But they are eating the same stuff in the pastures and are used to it.

Ours is mixed ladino and red clover and come orchard grass. Good stuff.

Price sounds fair. If they were made right...they will keep.
Do you need to cover them or will they keep outside similar to grass?

We don't cover them. We set them on old semi tires, makes for less spoilage. We don't stack them either. Line them out and make sure there is air movement between them. Here we are wet enough during the fall and winter (usually) that if the bales are touching they will rot. I have some 2 year old hay that will get fed first this winter that is brown and faded but not rotten, musty or moldy.
Make sure it was made right and take your trailer and the check book.

Thanks he,s only a mile down the road and hay looks like it,s going to be scarce I think I'll get a few and try em.

RAWCJW":1pwb5uho said:
Thanks he,s only a mile down the road and hay looks like it,s going to be scarce I think I'll get a few and try em.

I feed alot of red clover, don't have any problem with it. I always stack and tarp my bales, you get 30% waste if you don't in the Midwest.

Latest posts