cloudy eyes in my mature cows

Help Support CattleToday:

valley c/c

Reaction score
I have vaccinated my cows about a week ago with scour guard . On friday feb 1 I notice one of the cows had a swollen and cloudy eye , she could not see out of it and the other eye was starting to cloud as well. i had the vet come out and look at her , he is not sure what has caused it . them on saturday 5 more cows had the same thing happen. It didnt form like pink eye I treated the first cow with nuflur and the other ones with la 200.
My question is has anyone else had this happen.

No but you got my attention. I have been giving my cows Calf-Guard by Pfizer. I vaccinate from the one dose vials. I time vaccination with the delivery date so have not done the whole herd. What brand of scour guard? Pfizer also makes the trademark brand ScourGuard.

No, but I've heard of something called photo eye. Did some looking and came up with:
"Photo eye (photosensitization): This noninfectious condition is a hypersensitivity to sunlight after ingestion of various plants or administration of certain drugs. In addition to cloudiness of the cornea of eyes, non-pigmented eyelids and nose, teats and vulva, and areas of head, body and legs are commonly sunburned. Prolonged exposure of affected cattle to sunlight will cause blindness and severe skin damage. Sheltering during the day with grazing on pasture at night must be provided for protection from sunlight until the eyes and skin have healed."
http://animalscience.tamu.edu/files/201 ... cattle.pdf

It does't say what drugs might cause it.

We had 2 Hereford cows with photosensitization from eating a plant couple years ago. It went on for months. I didn't notice cloudiness but they had sores around their eyes,on their bags and nose. Everywhere they had pink skin. We didn't have a clue and we were pretty worried. Bloodwork showed photo sensitivity and it said what plant it was that was affecting them.

The vaccine is made by Pfizer and it is scourguard 4KC, the cows eyes are clearing up , the vet said that it was a reaction to the vaccine. I also talked to one of the ranchers i know and he said that it has happened to a few of his cows over the years and that it goes away over a period of time

Latest posts