Close call

Help Support CattleToday:

I have looked the grim reaper in the eye enough times that lifting a back tire off the ground doesn't even count. Lifting two tires on the same side off the ground will get your attention. Having no where to go when with a bad bull is actually better. Running to a fence will get you hurt. Step toward and around the bull. You can turn a lot sharper than he can.

Dave":1owopk5m said:
Having no where to go when with a bad bull is actually better. Running to a fence will get you hurt. Step toward and around the bull. You can turn a lot sharper than he can.
Helps to have a big crowbar when doing this!

I pretty much refuse to lift bales in a turn. It may take a little more time or thought but Ive experienced, seen, and heard of too many bad things happening. I always put a bale on the rear also when using the fil. Short cuts, distractiond and getting in a hurry always bite you in the rear.

Turned one over 46 years ago. No rops. Luckly it threw me far enough to get away from it. Had both rear wheels off the ground several times.
Also have turned several bulldozers over but they move slow and turn over slow.

Dave":3bz5gifv said:
I have looked the grim reaper in the eye enough times that lifting a back tire off the ground doesn't even count. Lifting two tires on the same side off the ground will get your attention. Having no where to go when with a bad bull is actually better. Running to a fence will get you hurt. Step toward and around the bull. You can turn a lot sharper than he can.

I believe both tires on the left were up (a good bit); I was angled so could only see the back one. Came up a good bit and hovered. I instinctively yelled his name (that's all); it hovered for what seemed like forever. When I asked him later, he said he was staying calm and making sure he didn't panic and raise the grabber/bale by accident (instead of lowering it). Interestingly, I think I was more shaken than he was. Two years ago, we were hiking on a bit of snow in the Tetons and I slid down with nothing to stop me (mountain went straight down to never-neverland; I eventually stopped). He was more shaken than I was. (I just figured it was bye bye and cursed my lifelong klutziness).
We went white water rafting on the Gauley last year (about the 6th or 7th time) and the raft flipped in a class 5.
I think we should stay in and start watching I Love Lucy reruns. Much easier on the heart.

kenny thomas":vyqa4yg0 said:
Turned one over 46 years ago. No rops. Luckly it threw me far enough to get away from it. Had both rear wheels off the ground several times.
Also have turned several bulldozers over but they move slow and turn over slow.
good thing it threw you, I've heard it's near impossible to jump clear...

callmefence":20j758ni said:
If getting a corner off the ground qualifys as a close call we're living on the edge out here.

Same here. These hills of East Tennessee can produce some hairy situations. I ain't scared of a tractor but I do have a lot of respect for one. Things can go wrong in a blink of an eye.

There was a local bucking bull guy here that rolled one into a hole with a fire going. About as horrible a way to go as it can get.

Dave":778mqpjs said:

:nod: :nod: Been there! It was NOT a pleasant experience. I was fortunate enough to "right" the situation, shut down the machine, got off and walked away to think about things for a while. :cowboy:

boondocks":j3f07czu said:
Dave":j3f07czu said:

I believe both tires on the left were up (a good bit); I was angled so could only see the back one. Came up a good bit and hovered. I instinctively yelled his name (that's all); it hovered for what seemed like forever. When I asked him later, he said he was staying calm and making sure he didn't panic and raise the grabber/bale by accident (instead of lowering it). Interestingly, I think I was more shaken than he was. Two years ago, we were hiking on a bit of snow in the Tetons and I slid down with nothing to stop me (mountain went straight down to never-neverland; I eventually stopped). He was more shaken than I was. (I just figured it was bye bye and cursed my lifelong klutziness).
We went white water rafting on the Gauley last year (about the 6th or 7th time) and the raft flipped in a class 5.
I think we should stay in and start watching I Love Lucy reruns. Much easier on the heart.

:shock: :lol: One thing about it, your life isn't dull! Just think of all the great stories that these events have created.

I think witnessing the event, rather than being the participant, can be more unnerving. I'm not saying that being the one having the experience doesn't cause one to "pucker", but watching it, I think, is worse.

Workinonit Farm":1ot6l16e said:
:shock: :lol: One thing about it, your life isn't dull! Just think of all the great stories that these events have created.

I think witnessing the event, rather than being the participant, can be more unnerving. I'm not saying that being the one having the experience doesn't cause one to "pucker", but watching it, I think, is worse.

I'm a bad combination of my parents. My dad was (is) a total hellion. Back when they didn't have bars over the passenger seats, he would change cars on a roller coaster. At the top of the incline!
I have an adventurous streak but am also a worrywart--bad combo :lol:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2bsnd98b said:
Watch out for ruts in the snow. Ground can look perfectly smooth under the snow. Been there!
The snow hides a lot of surprises! :nod:

Good lady friend of mine, her husband was pushing brush off a bluff. Like he had done many times in the past.. got on a rock that was wet,slick and covered with moss...went over and down 80 ft. The tractor was upright and still running when they found him..tire was worn down and nearly slick from spinning on a rock...later she wanted to sell me the tractor..

Soo many stories, too little typing ability, be aware always. Farming is THE most dangerous profession.

I know most of you have been driving tractors etc since you were in your car seats up on the tractor (ha--I kid. But only about you ever being in a car seat lol), but for those of us who came to farm equipment (etc) later in life, I have gotten some benefit from the Tractor Mike episodes on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcJfWL ... fy6kpfZE3g
He has all sorts of tractor-related topics. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slWru6-R44I
Anybody else ever watched any of those? He seems semi-knowledgable?

TCRanch":3sklb764 said:
snoopdog":3sklb764 said:
Soo many stories, too little typing ability, be aware always. Farming is THE most dangerous profession.
Yes it is! Just happened Tuesday:
https://www.kwch.com/content/news/Reno- ... 99291.html
Carelessness, the younger generation depending on electronics for their safety. My son puts the electronic shuttle shift in neutral and gets off the tractor to work on something all the time with the transmission still in gear. I made him read this thank you.

Latest posts