How close to calving?

Help Support CattleToday:

544hydro

Reaction score
Any guesses how close she is to calving. She is a highland cow, this will be her 4th calf first since we have owned her.

Tail to the side, definitely swollen, discharge generally equals darn close. Are her teats full? More to the point: if this is her 4th calf since you've had her I'm assuming you already know the signs. If she's taking longer than normal, get her in & make sure the calf is in the correct position. Trust your gut.

TCRanch":1oggvv5p said:
Tail to the side, definitely swollen, discharge generally equals darn close. Are her teats full? More to the point: if this is her 4th calf since you've had her I'm assuming you already know the signs. If she's taking longer than normal, get her in & make sure the calf is in the correct position. Trust your gut.
Do your cows actually behave the same each year when calving?

I'm sorry for the confusion. It's her 4th but our first with her. We bought her from our old neighbors who moved so I can't check with them. This is our first year calving. My gut tells me she is close but was with the rest of the herd when I checked on her this afternoon.

If she is hanging with everyone else she most likely isn;t that close. From the signs it could be an hour or a month. Poofy isn;t that reliable of a sign.

dun":2llq3lfw said:
TCRanch":2llq3lfw said:
Do your cows actually behave the same each year when calving?

For the most part, yes. And a lot of them calve in the same spot every year, contingent on the weather. But I'm also probably around my girls more than the average producer.

544hydro":2z8llw5h said:
I'm sorry for the confusion. It's her 4th but our first with her. We bought her from our old neighbors who moved so I can't check with them. This is our first year calving. My gut tells me she is close but was with the rest of the herd when I checked on her this afternoon.

Poofy isn't reliable nor is the gut (sorry to disagree on this) because the "gut" wants what it wants and it wants a calf so as to get out of the anxiety.

Sadly, even if you knew EXACTLY when she was bred, with those signs you could still be a week or two away. You mention this is your first year calving - as in with her or with any cows?

Also - while separation from the herd is a great sign - it too is not failproof. They don't all separate themselves. Some will even calve right smack in the the middle of em all....

All is true. The only sure sign I know of that they are getting ready to calve is when I see feet and hopefully a nose.

Latest posts