Anybody wana guess on how close these heifers are?

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
The calving dates should fall between December 16th and sometime in the middle of January. These are pics of 2 different heifers. Just curious how close y'all would guess them as.

You can't tell very much from the vulva.
You need to be able to observe the cow to check her udder & teats, her movement ( how she walks, getting up and down ) and the calves movement, her size and maybe even do a push test.
Is she staying away from the herd.
Is she drinking a lot of water.

How is the one with the unusual discharge doing?
Liz

Just based off what I can see I would say two or three weeks or more. To tell more I would need to watch them walk and see their udder. When they lay down and the vulva opens that way it tends to mislead. The pressure from their innards pressing back tends to make them look like they are loosening up. Who knows they could be several weeks away..................or they may calve tonight :lol:

j&lfarms":3sussjrw said:
The calving dates should fall between December 16th and sometime in the middle of January. These are pics of 2 different heifers. Just curious how close y'all would guess them as.

Nope - not at all interested.

Only God and Mom Nature know - and even they have been known to be wrong.

As always, it happens when it happens.

Can't rush it and can't delay it.

Bez

skeeter swatter":v5qicngm said:
I'll guess that one is 2-3 weeks and the other is open, which would also explain the reddish discharge.
Hope I'm wrong.
good luck

I'm not seeing any reddish discharge. I see an open vulva that you can see the pink of the inside. They look to be a month away more or less. The lack of bag is as telling or more than how sprung they are.

Can't tell by looking with heifers. I remember taking some heifers in to get palpated a few years ago. Two in the group had really caught my attention. One of them looked like she could easily be 7-8 months bred, and I was afraid the other one was open. The vet said 6 months on each one and he was right. The one that hadn't been showing at all when I got them palpated calved the day before the other one.

skeeter swatter":2j1o6zsl said:
I'll guess that one is 2-3 weeks and the other is open, which would also explain the reddish discharge.
Hope I'm wrong.
good luck
If your talking about the photo in another thread where the OP asked about the red discharge on the tail and rump, then I agree Skeeter about her likely being open. That second vulva looks normal to me. Not like a heavy bred... But heifers surprise me all the time!!!!

I don't even pretend to read every thread, but I didn't see any mention of these heifers in that kind of scenario. I was solely speaking based upon these photos

What I did see based on these pictures is that these are indeed heifers and therefore could be bred with a possibility of calving at some point in the future. Beyond that it would be a guess. But with a certain amount of certainty I will say they wont calf tomorrow.

j&lfarms":2cmfvhmv said:
The calving dates should fall between December 16th and sometime in the middle of January. These are pics of 2 different heifers. Just curious how close y'all would guess them as. ]

When is your next blizzard or monsoon expected?

I have one that I think is due near the very end of January or beginning of February. The other two I have noticed that their mucus plug has came or is in the process of coming out. One had about 3 inches of really thick slime on Thursday morning and then last night she had a long strands that would almost reach the end of her tail then fall off. The other was just starting to have some fluid leak out today. As far as milk goes they have a little bit of a bag but the teets are not full. Some days they look really dialted and ready to go and other it doesn't. I am sure they are bred because they have not been cycling. I am not really worried yet since they are all eating fine and walking around nomal. If they got bred the last day I had the bull with them then the would calve around January 27th, so they still have time.

My biggest worry is they won't have enough milk. If they don't I plan on bottle feeding the calves for a week or so and then selling the calves to a mininite and sending the heifers on the hamburger highway and reinvesting with some 4-6 year old bred cows or cow/calf pairs.

j&lfarms":3ot9j56o said:
I have one that I think is due near the very end of January or beginning of February. The other two I have noticed that their mucus plug has came or is in the process of coming out. One had about 3 inches of really thick slime on Thursday morning and then last night she had a long strands that would almost reach the end of her tail then fall off. The other was just starting to have some fluid leak out today. As far as milk goes they have a little bit of a bag but the teets are not full. Some days they look really dialted and ready to go and other it doesn't. I am sure they are bred because they have not been cycling. I am not really worried yet since they are all eating fine and walking around nomal. If they got bred the last day I had the bull with them then the would calve around January 27th, so they still have time.

My biggest worry is they won't have enough milk. If they don't I plan on bottle feeding the calves for a week or so and then selling the calves to a mininite and sending the heifers on the hamburger highway and reinvesting with some 4-6 year old bred cows or cow/calf pairs.
Worry all you want - it solves nothing.

I have seen cows with tiny bags feed twins and cows with big bags not be able to feed one.

When to the time comes it will happen - until then go visit a neighbour, grab a coffee or take the wife or girl friend or kids to a movie.

Personally I think you worry far too much over something you have absolutely NO control over.

Bez

HEY! I'm enjoying watching this 17 YO first time expecting father pacing back and forth in the waiting room.
Hope he remembers his lamaze classes and doesn't have her pushing when she should be breathing. :lol2:
Liz