When to call vet during pregnancy?

Help Support CattleToday:

txffamom

Reaction score
At what point do you call the vet to come out during a pregnancy?

My daughters cow is 20 days away from the average 283 and she is HUGE. This is her 2nd calf and she is bigger now than the day before she had her first calf. She just lumbers along grazing, and we don't really see anything abnormal other than she is soooo big. She was ultrasounded at 45 days and they only saw 1 calf at that time. Her bottom is beginning to drop and loosen, and she has milk in the back 2 quarters.

Do you call the vet to come for a check or leave her be and hope for the best?

txffamom":92044yvl said:
At what point do you call the vet to come out during a pregnancy?

My daughters cow is 20 days away from the average 283 and she is HUGE. This is her 2nd calf and she is bigger now than the day before she had her first calf. She just lumbers along grazing, and we don't really see anything abnormal other than she is soooo big. She was ultrasounded at 45 days and they only saw 1 calf at that time. Her bottom is beginning to drop and loosen, and she has milk in the back 2 quarters.

Do you call the vet to come for a check or leave her be and hope for the best?
Can you keep her close or put up for the duration? If she were mine, I would want to able to check her often in case help is needed when she is ready. I tend to micromanage especially when it is a new mama or out of the ordinary and yours is both. :cboy: :2cents:

Thank you.

Kukala, that made me smile. She is definitely not ordinary. I'm trying not to be over protective, but I also want to insure her health and the health of the calf.

Will it stress her out to pull her in away from the rest of the herd?

As far as "will it stress her out", it depends on the cow. Some of mine will pace the fence if I pull them out. Can you put another cow next to her?

If she were my cow, she'd carry it another 30 days... I'm always watching them closely at calving time, never get vet visits.

Here is one of my heifers (she's 4 now), the picture was taken in january, she calved in march
IMG_5924.jpg

I would never advise AGAINST a vet visit, but with the cost of it where I am, I'll pass for myself

Thank you Nesikep, seeing the picture helps me feel better about how big our girl is.

She doesn't stress easily, unless you're trying to get to her calf. Took her about a week to settle down after the first one. Other than that, I don't remember a time she was stressed. I stress enough that she doesn't have to. :D

Thank you all again. I'll be out there later today and will try to get some pictures.

They are kind of like a women, "bigger with the second one." Bigger calf sometimes and just more "spread" in general. In the last 14 days or so, my cattle look huge also. Sometimes when they lay down, it looks like the calf is standing up! If she is normal with no discharge, straining, or distress, why do you feel that she may need the vet? If you have a sense something is wrong, I would not discourage you.........

My daughter just brought up a good point after seeing the picture. She lost a bit of condition that was expected when we moved her off of feed to pasture. Maybe that's part of why she appears to be so big this time.

txffamom":37s3podv said:
My daughter just brought up a good point after seeing the picture. She lost a bit of condition that was expected when we moved her off of feed to pasture. Maybe that's part of why she appears to be so big this time.
All belly? :D

I guess some reassuring words is what we were looking for since she is so much bigger this time.

Once I get some pics this afternoon, I'll try to post a few for comparison.

Maybe I amI just being overprotective of both mom and unborn calf and need to relax and give her time to do her thing. Easier said than done, but I'll give it a shot.

Thank you, branguscowgirl for sharing. It helps me feel better to know we should expect her to be bigger this time. Someday I'll be brave enough to tell the whole story behind this cow and what she really means to our family.

As a vet, I don't know what I'd be able to tell you if you called me out, other than, "Yep. She's pregnant. Watch her, and if there are any issues during calving, call me."

OK, here is that cow's mother... she was just placing a cowpie, so it exaggerated the size a bit.. she like to make calves over 120 lbs, but nevertheless she was VERY wide

IMG_6375-Tizia_BIG_sm_zpse51cb05c.jpg

And this one is another I'm wondering about... she's got 10 days to go still (see my "should I brace for twins" thread)
20140407_151654_zpsc6b0b25d.jpg

If she was as big as the top one, I would really be in a panic and probably dropping her at vet to valve there.

She is about as big as the bottom one, but maybe a little larger frame cow, so maybe she will be fine.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. It really helps to have that comparison and eases my mind a bit.

The picture doesn't show the size of the cow very well on the bottom one.. she's probably around a frame 8 or better and 18-1900 lbs... none of it as gray matter between the ears though.. She's temperamental.. she's actually been getting slow recently with the extra weight, and has become tame.. that'll all change when she goes on pasture again and you can't get within 50 feet of her.

Latest posts