Clipping short haired cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Redangus4ever

Reaction score
Hi does anyone have suggestions for clipping short haired cattle? They don't have hair to "hide the faults". I show red angus cattle and every year they have very short hair. I like the slick look to the cattle. I have been showing at local fairs and my state fair. Next year I'm planning to show at the world beef expo and other bigger shows. What do I need to do to be more competitive?

Normally I just peel the head, and clip the top and bottom of the neck real tight. Mostly just clean up the longer hairs. Then just check over the rest of the body for longer hairs (what I call the stragglers).

Ryan

Alright thank you... I live/show in wisconsin and most people here are still all about the hair. :roll: hopefully someday we will lean more towards the slick shows....

Redangus4ever":mhwvrtzy said:
Hi does anyone have suggestions for clipping short haired cattle? They don't have hair to "hide the faults". I show red angus cattle and every year they have very short hair. I like the slick look to the cattle. I have been showing at local fairs and my state fair. Next year I'm planning to show at the world beef expo and other bigger shows. What do I need to do to be more competitive?
To be competitive at the beef expo etc, you'll have to learn how to get hair on your cattle. You may not like it, but that's the way it is.

I kinda figured as much... Do you have any suggestions for growing more hair on red angus cattle? I know cattle 1st need to start off with the genetics for growing hair but I'm not really sure which sires/dams have those genetics..

Rinsing 2 to 3 times a day and brushing them with a rice root brush will help get some hair, keep them out of the sun in a well shaded if not compltly dark area will also help, keep fans on them. Brush the hair forward and fans should be behind them blowing the hair forward as well.
A cool box is the best but short of that try the above.