Cleveland Livestock Show

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
Today I took my bull off the the Cleveland Livestock Show in Cleveland, TX. I placed 1st in my class (out of one) and going back for Grand and Reserve I was third choice of 4. The judge said I have an amazing animal that the only thing he didnt like was that he is really small for his age. It was pretty obvious that he favored grays over reds, but that is pretty much expected at most shows. I got third over my bulls full brother, who has been beating me at every show Ive been to so far (that bull is just at 36 months, today was his last show). Every show that bull would get Grand and I would get Reserve, but today neither of us did. Bull was a little playful in the morning, but calmed down after being there for a little while. He did what he needed to with no problems. Everything was good except for the weather. It was pouring in the morning and cold, so that sucked. Never been to the Cleveland show when it wasnt horrible weather. It warmed up and stopped raining a little later on though.

Good on you for having a go. If you enjoy it thats the most important thing.
Over the past few years good reds have been doing well at our major shows. Royal Sydney and Royal Brisbane both were won by the same red junior bull. Both judged by brothers so probably have similar ideas. It was interesting to see the bull got beaten by a grey bull at a major feature show a couple of weeks ago. The judge was a grey breeder who had cattle at Royal Brisbane that were beaten by the good red bull. Pay back time I'd say.
We usually check out the judge before the show these days, saves a lot of money and time.
Here in Australia show wins have a lot less importance than a judges decision. Our top money earners with our South Devons came from bulls that were placed 3rd 4th and 5th in their class at Brisbane. The 1st place getter and champion went to the meat works and 2nd placegetter went into a dairy herd for $1500.
So placings don't have very much relevance.
Colin

As long as you enjoyed going and having a good time, that's all that matters.

Who was the judge? I hate to say this, but from my experience, some judges just don't like Brahman breed cattle. They will place them in class by color, size, or what person is showing the animal. We keep a list of judges and how they judged our animals, some judges out there you couldn't pay me enough money to show in front of them.

But like I said, as long as you enjoyed it, that's all that matters. :)

I agree with rgv4. As long as you had a good time, then that's all that matters.
Also, there are a lot of politics in showing cattle, especially out here in California. There are some shows that I don't even want to go to because of who's going to be judging, but since I love to show I go; and I just pray that the judge I show under is one that has always liked my cattle or is a judge that has never judged out here in Cali before. :)