clays--found something out

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I ain't worth a crap at it. :lol2:
I've never used a shotgun for anything much other than varmints and shooting a few crows out of my corn, but my son and grandson shoot clays all the time, and after watching them last year, my twin brother and I decided we'd give it a try. I invested in a 3/4 cock single target thrower, and my brother brought his shotgun down today. Threw about 50 targets, shot up nearly 60 20 and 12 ga shells and I think I missed all but 4 targets--brother did no better.
Sure glad I didn't spend a bunch of $$ on a high $$ machine--be a long time before I'm any good at it.
(got this one--seems dinky but it works ok)
opplanet-do-all-outdoors-by56-backyard-34-single.jpg

Next time tho, I think we'll shoot them out over the pond--sure was a pita picking up all the clays that broke when they hit the hard ground in the pasture.

GB, I used to shoot every Sunday after church. Then I had kids and shells got way too expensive. It's a lot of fun and you'll get better with practice. we threw them across the pond for that very reason.

GB we shoot the white flyer
They are biodegradable so you don't have to pick them up

I've heard people say they fed them to wild hogs to kill them. Anyone else heard this. Where's Mythbusters when you need them?

JMJ Farms":vazevv4a said:
I've heard people say they fed them to wild hogs to kill them. Anyone else heard this. Where's Mythbusters when you need them?
You misunderstood...we feed hogs lead with a 12ga. :)

Yes it works. They can't digest them. That's a horrible way to die so I would not suggest it. Karma can be a **-**.

We shoot a ton of clays. They have some nice 12V throwers you clip to the battery of your car with a remote for less than $500.

We start playing country double or knock out and I can shoot two cases of shells in a heart beat. I've turned barrels white shooting 5 stand or knock out. :D

Cross-7":2wycdo8e said:
GB we shoot the white flyer
They are biodegradable so you don't have to pick them up
That's what I have, but I figured the cows might ingest the piece--they sure don'e look like they would "biodegrade" very quickly.

When I was growing up back when shotgun shells were made from heavy paper we shot clays but we used a hand thrower that had a spring that would cock the arm that held the clay. One man could lay his shotgun on the ground at his feet throw the clay pick up his shotgun and hit the clay.

We use to have one of those. They have handheld ones now that are fun. You can sling it with on hand and hold the gun with the other. Just drop the thrower and shoot. If you tape it to a fiberglass still for working cattle you can really sling them out there.

JMJ Farms":1k6ftq3a said:
Yes there is one kind , not for sure which ones it is, that they say will kill hogs. I think they are dissolving them in diesel then mixing it with corn.
This is only hear say I never have tried it but I would if I had a hog problem.

Do a Google search ''will clay pigeons kill wild hogs'' there you will find all the info about the ones that will kill hogs. It is the old ones that had the warning on the box that they would kill pigs.

We used to shoot clays off the front porch into a pasture. Ground was pretty well white with broken clays. Cows just never bothered eating in that area but they did bed down there a lot.