Clay Pigeon Poison ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
They used to caution about poisoning hogs with clay pigeon fragments. Have you ever heard of a problem like that in cattle pastures or watering holes? Would you use a pasture that had been used for hand trap ?

We used to shoot clays of the front porch right over a pasture. Cows rarely ventured into that area unless the grass was really tall and rank.

We have a Sporting Clays course, I put some cows in it to graze it down every spring. No issue to date.

Stocker Steve":3anca6vm said:
They used to caution about poisoning hogs with clay pigeon fragments. Have you ever heard of a problem like that in cattle pastures or watering holes? Would you use a pasture that had been used for hand trap ?
If it works I'd call that a blessing.

Shoot them at my buddy's dairy farm from the front yard out over their dry cow pasture and it's never caused them any issues. Been doing it for several years and even though it usually only ends up being a few times a year, when we do we bust A LOT. (We aren't always very good so sometimes we miss A LOT too...) We figure the pasture is better than the alfalfa field... Not sure how much the chopper would actually pick up but I don't imagine it would be too good if it did for the chopper or the haylage. Might not really hurt but not going to chance it.

Brute 23":34u4hj6y said:
littletom":34u4hj6y said:
So is this used in hog problem areas?

It's very illegal and packs some very large fines.

I notice you're in Texas. I thought you could get rid of these varmints any way you could get them to die! What's the difference between poisoning a pig with fragments of clay targets, and poisoning a Coyote with bacon-scented cyanide except that cyanide is quicker?

Feral pigs have a negative effect on the eco-system while the Coyote is actually a desired part of nature's eco-system in that they feed on mice, rats, rabbits, an occasional chicken, and other small game.

Nobody cares about the pigs except for government which has to bow down to animal rights groups. I wonder how many of these groups ever tried to grow a crop?

Latest posts