Class Assignment, looking for more suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

BlackBaldyMan

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have this assignment for my 400 level beef production class and I was looking for some insight from you fine folks, here is the situation we were given (sorry this is so long):

We are given 800 Simm/Angus X cows, 7.5yrs old with avg. weight of 1450lbs. They have Body Condition Scores (BCS) of 4 from breeding, to weaning and calving. Half of the herd is calving in the final 21 days of calving season (3rd 21 day block). We have a range lease from June-August at which time the cows will come home. These are fall calvers starting first week of Sept. We can choose two types of forage/concentrate to use when the cows are at home using the program Balancer.

She wants us to try and cut costs as much as possible, formulate a diet, etc etc.

I would like the cows to have a BCS of 5, and I think this will decrease the cows time between calving and first returning estrus by having more fat. This also gives the calves more time to gain = higher weaning weights. I am kicking around the idea to cancel the lease on the range land because the nutrient value of the forage is about half of the cows requirements on %CP for late gestation. Not sure how in debth she wants us to go because I am sure I would have to set up irrigation for the cattle in late summer to provide the right forage for them. Figured it wouldnt be feasable to switch from fall to spring calving having to much down time.

Anything you guys could bring to my attention would be great, also kicking around a few other ideas, thanks! :cboy:

OK Kevin, I will take a stab at it. There is a benefit of going from a BCS 4 to 5 but what is the cost? Does it out weigh the benefit. How much does your rangeland lease run? That cost difference when compared to irrigated pasture will be considerable.
You stated that she wants you to cut costs as much as possible but your plan increases costs.

I have figured that moving the BCS from 4-5 will decrease the time it takes for post-calving estrus to return which in turn causes cows to calf quicker and more time to put more weight on the weaned calves, I think this will save me money in the long run.

As for the range ground, its just the normal $12 per AUM, might be a possibility to feed them on the range land but I doubt it, the quality of the grass on late summer is just so poor compared to what the cows need in late gestation. I realize it would be alot more expensive to irrigate, just pondering....

Latest posts