CIDR LEFT IN HEIFER FOR 5 MONTHS

Help Support CattleToday:

Flacowman":19hcswsp said:
I would definitely switch preg checkers and if you deal with that ranch again I would look for CIDRs especially. If you haven't, contact the ranch you got her from and be sure they know, and by most sale terms I have seen they should cover either treatment of the infection or refund your money for the heifer, your choice. Double check the sale terms and if the ranch is a good one they should have some guarantee of breeding soundness and also if they said on sale day that she was bred sale terms should also cover you on that. I wouldn't necessarily stop dealing with them because of the situation but if they won't make their mistake good then I might consider it. I know if it was my heifer I would refund your money and probably let you keep the heifer for good measure since it should have been caught so many times by my men. Good luck on getting her straightened out

I had never had my cows pregnancy checked before this year. All we had as first calvers and the heat as so ad duing the summer around 115 degrees.
I just decied to have them checked. The Ai tech missed he when she was Aid before the sale, the vet at the sell missed it(end of september) and so did the vet I used.(I had never used that vet before).

The cow came with two units of semen, but I don't have a semen tank. The guy would hold it until I am ready to use it.
My bull had got into the pasture with the fleck and she was in heat(October). My cousin saw him breed her. So I thought she was bred.

I had a Nelore sent to be AI'd and decided to send the fleck to be checked and if she did not settle with my bull ten i would have her bred to a red Brahman bull.
Before her I had never delt with AI . All my cows were bred the old fashion way.

I have only had this heifer for about three months and she was open wen I bought her.
I had plan to breed her in november or december I would either breed her using the semen she came with or too my angus or british white bull.

I later decided since I was sending the Nelore that I would send her as well to see if my bull bred her when he got into the pasture.
And last month is when we discovered the Cidr.

She is one of the thickest deep bodied correctly built flecks I have seen. SHe is out of a top donor cow in Canada.
I did pay alot of money for her because she would make a great asset to my herd wether i use her with my Nelore for simbrah or angus for sim-angus or use semen and keep the offspring pure and i can register any of the crosses .

I have only had her 3 months not a year.
I am hoping that she will be able to breed back because she will be such a great asset to my breeding program. If not then I will ask for my money back.

I would still let the breeder know if you already haven't simply because if you call demanding your money back in another 4 months he might not trust your word about the situation. Just give him a call and let him know what happened and that you plan to breed her but if she doesn't breed that you will be wanting your money back. He also would appreciate knowing that his men missed the cidr 2 or 3 times, I'm a little foggy as I've reaqd and reread it so much :?: . Good luck on her working out for you though

Flacowman":lo89docm said:
I would still let the breeder know if you already haven't simply because if you call demanding your money back in another 4 months he might not trust your word about the situation. Just give him a call and let him know what happened and that you plan to breed her but if she doesn't breed that you will be wanting your money back. He also would appreciate knowing that his men missed the cidr 2 or 3 times, I'm a little foggy as I've reaqd and reread it so much :?: . Good luck on her working out for you though

I let him know the day i found out which was last month and also let the guy in charge of the sell know since the vet at the sell missed it too.

I do not know how it could have been missed by 3 vets.

I can clear anything up thats foggy. Let me know what is foggy.

I just meant I had lost track of how many men had missed it and when lol. Sounds like you did the right thing and again good luck with her. Let us know if she takes so we'll have learned something from this. I feel like her main problems (if any) will result from the infection rather than hormones though so hopefully that'll clear up quick.

Flacowman":3j6q8soe said:
I just meant I had lost track of how many men had missed it and when lol. Sounds like you did the right thing and again good luck with her. Let us know if she takes so we'll have learned something from this. I feel like her main problems (if any) will result from the infection rather than hormones though so hopefully that'll clear up quick.

lol and i will let yall know.

The weird thing is i am not sure how long she had the infection. there was no discharge or other signs and she did cycle after my vet(3rd vet who missed it) checked her. that is when my bull jumped in so i thought she was bred.
(before the 4th vet discovered the cidr).

Well the heifer has not come into heat. And the ranch manager of the brahman ranch she is at says that she is now acting cystic. It has been about two months now so I think it is time to ask for my money back.

BRAFORDMAN":dc65n2n6 said:
Well the heifer has not come into heat. And the ranch manager of the brahman ranch she is at says that she is now acting cystic. It has been about two months now so I think it is time to ask for my money back.
She's likely pregnant to your bull. I'd have her checked again.

ollie?":3ldfpygo said:
BRAFORDMAN":3ldfpygo said:
She's likely pregnant to your bull. I'd have her checked again.

She is not. My bull tried to breed her before she went to the ranch. When she got there the vet checked her. He said she was open and that a cidr was left inside her, resulting in a nasty infection. She has cleared infection, but is now acting funny. She farm manager says that once a week she acts like she wants to come into to heat, but never finishes the cycle to drop an egg. So she may be cystic. The guy in charge of the fleck sale said give her a shot of cysterella. The previous owner said after that to try and just put her with a bull instead of AI.

The previous owner is a good person. He and I will work something out if she turns up no good.
He and the head of sale wants to try to save her and so do I. She is one of the deepest bodied, thickest, easiest fleshing, most correct fleckvieh heifer. She has a spectacular blood line.

I wish she was bred but she is not. :( We all are trying our best to turn this heifer around.

BRAFORDMAN":j6cnqo96 said:
She is not. My bull tried to breed her before she went to the ranch. When she got there the vet checked her. He said she was open and that a cidr was left inside her, resulting in a nasty infection. She has cleared infection, but is now acting funny. She farm manager says that once a week she acts like she wants to come into to heat, but never finishes the cycle to drop an egg. So she may be cystic. The guy in charge of the fleck sale said give her a shot of cysterella. The previous owner said after that to try and just put her with a bull instead of AI.

The previous owner is a good person. He and I will work something out if she turns up no good.
He and the head of sale wants to try to save her and so do I. She is one of the deepest bodied, thickest, easiest fleshing, most correct fleckvieh heifer. She has a spectacular blood line.

I wish she was bred but she is not. :( We all are trying our best to turn this heifer around.
If she is cyctic the GnRH shot should clear that up. You could even hurry her a long a bit by 7 days after the GnRH giving her a shot of PGF2. She then hsould come into heat within 3-4 days.

BRAFORDMAN":2fs7ud8r said:
Well the heifer has not come into heat.
She farm manager says that once a week she acts like she wants to come into to heat, but never finishes the cycle to drop an egg. So she may be cystic.
Which is it? If she's not cycling, I'd say she's pregnant. If she's cycling weekly, she's cystic. If your farm man says she's not dropping an egg, he needs to be paid more than he's probably making. No one can tell if they let an egg down from external observation. Your bull bred her in october , when was she last pregchecked?

I don't know what day in october and what day in november but it's real common to mis-diagnose early pregnant as opens expecially earlier than 35-40 days pregnant.

ollie?":v71dnhxt said:
I don't know what day in october and what day in november but it's real common to mis-diagnose early pregnant as opens expecially earlier than 35-40 days pregnant.

I don't think with an infection she would have conceived. And now she is acting cystic so i dount she is pregnant. I have had a few cows that acted like they came in heat, and they calved a month later. But she is coming into heat every week so there is no way she can be pregnant.

BRAFORDMAN":1ja5q2hc said:
ollie?":1ja5q2hc said:

I don't think with an infection she would have conceived. And now she is acting cystic so i dount she is pregnant. I have had a few cows that acted like they came in heat, and they calved a month later. But she is coming into heat every week so there is no way she can be pregnant.
If you're sure she's cystic, there's no doubt I'd send her back. I personally wouldn't embarrass myself by sending a pregnant heifer back...but if you're sure, then I'd send her back. The owner might want another vet to palpate her ovaries and verify in writing that the cow is cystic. I would.

ollie?":2khxbnbp said:
BRAFORDMAN":2khxbnbp said:
ollie?":2khxbnbp said:

If you're sure she's cystic, there's no doubt I'd send her back. I personally wouldn't embarrass myself by sending a pregnant heifer back...but if you're sure, then I'd send her back. The owner might want another vet to palpate her ovaries and verify in writing that the cow is cystic. I would.

I have talked to the previous owner about it. We gave her a shot of cysterella and I had the ranch put her with with red brahman bull instead of AI'ing her to one. She has a month to breed. If she does not breed then she is going back and me and the previous owner will work something out.

I know I have spent alot of time on this heifer and she has been open for too long, but the shot and her going with a bull is her last chance.

BRAFORDMAN":18ek77dk said:
I have talked to the previous owner about it. We gave her a shot of cysterella and I had the ranch put her with with red brahman bull instead of AI'ing her to one. She has a month to breed. If she does not breed then she is going back and me and the previous owner will work something out.

I know I have spent alot of time on this heifer and she has been open for too long, but the shot and her going with a bull is her last chance.
Sounds more than fair. I'd be curious to hear the breeding date when your bull breeds the heifer and if he continues to breed her weekly or if she never comes in heat, etc.

ollie?":2fr5n1dx said:
BRAFORDMAN":2fr5n1dx said:

Sounds more than fair. I'd be curious to hear the breeding date when your bull breeds the heifer and if he continues to breed her weekly or if she never comes in heat, etc.

She is at a red brahman ranch and the farm manager watches them daily. I will let you know when I hear from them what happened.

It is just beyond me how the CIDR got missed even once.
I feel everything all the way in. A CIDR is big enough to notice even if you don't know what your looking for. That is the darndest thing. Especially for vets. If your checking a cow (especially an "open" cow) wouldn't the vet check the tract? This hole thing doesn't make sense.
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out but something stinks big time about this hole deal. Not saying the seller is a crook. Something just doesn't seem right.
Double R

Latest posts