CIDR AI question

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
I have an 8 yr old hereford/Holstein cow a Hereford heifer, and a steer. The cow is MUCH larger than the other two, and very dominant.
Watching the cows, it was pretty easy to tell when the heifer came in heat- the steer and the cow would try to mount her. So she was AI'd on June 10, and haven't seen any activity like that, Ai guy said her cervix was just right ,so I figure she's probably bred.
So the big cowis so dominate, no one tries to mount her. So we put a CIDR in waited a week, gave her a shot and pulled the CIDR, then she was bred 3 days later,AI . ( obviously in strong heat, bellering her brains out) That was July 16.
Now this past Monday she starts having clear mucus hanging from her rear, and does a "bit" of bellering, not as much as the other time. Tuesday the heifer starts putting her nose to the cow's rear and pretty much has kept it there for two days. Some playfighting happening, but that's about it. The steer is ignoring both of them. :?:

So what do you think? When can i get them preg tested with blood test? Has anyone done this where you send the blood to the lab?

How reliable is the CIDR routine used this way? What's with the mucus??

Confused, wishing I had a bull...
Susie

oh, BTW, the mucus is not really hangy down to the ground, just about an egg-whites worth at her vulva.
Susie

Susie...sounds like the cow didn't settle, how about the heifer, any signs of heat from her? Heat detection is never and exact science, we've had them in standing heat, AI'd in the morning and had them mounting their sisters seventeen days later. Never saw the bull cover a cow this year and haven't had a sign of heat since turn-out June 1st. That bull must get up alot earlier than we do.
We do a rectal palpation no earlier than 45 days though some folks brag that they can detect at 30..an ultrasound will show at 30 as will the blood test for PSPB. Susie has smaller hands than I do so she gets the job...always says that she's not that kind of nurse. Do you have a neighbor with a bull that would let you bring your cow over for a visit. Some cows are pretty active and work better than some Gomers.
Good luck....Dave Mc
any luck with the hay?

My hubby and I were discussing this after he got home from work-- Seems like about 10 days after the heifer was bred we thought she could be in heat, but since then nothing.At least with her the steer and the cow would both try to mount her, so it was obvious. I assume she's pregnant, going to send a blood sample off this week-end... That got us to wondering, are the other cows reacting to some hormonal shift when the cow becomes pregnant?
We do have a neighbor with a bull across the street, although he's real fat and pretty short as far as height... I think he's a limousin... he may not be able to get the job done because he's so short, but he'd sure be a good detector. We were thinking of waiting 3 weeks and see what happens, having a bull lined up. That's another thing, after the CIDR was removed the cow and this bull were bawling at each other all night, but since then no bawling for each other, just me and my husband got bawled at this week.

No hay yet, but am still looking for someone who will deliver less than a semi, or some kind of trailer we can borrow or rent and come get our own.
I enjoy keeping cows, always gives me something to do or think about! Maybe too much :roll:

Susie

I had the AI tech say those same "feels good, great tone to her cervix" words when he bred both of my heifers in April, who were open in June at preg check. The vet, whom I put alot of faith in, said the heat following a CIDR sychro'd heat is USUALLY not a strong enough heat to get them bred. So to the breeders they went to let the bull do it. I have had alot better luck with CIDR synchro then MGA, and will continue the CIDR protocol. Just had bad luck with these two, but....it's always your favorites! Maybe you could check into leasing a bull, or running the girls with the neighbors bull, just to get them bred. A good horny steer should be helping heat detect tho?!?

I've had dominant cows show the exact same signs -- and they were bred.

Here's the link to the folks that do the blood test, for $1.95 you'll find out for sure 27 hours after they receive the blood, and they're accurate at 30 days.

http://www.biotracking.com/

Ann B

Thanks Ann- I'm going to send in a sample from the heifer--- too soon for the cow- will keep an eye on her and have a bull lined up if she comes into heat before being able to test her---

Susie

We AI and have had great luck with the cidrs ,although we use the select sinc method. We give GNRH on day 0 insert Cidr 7 days later give prostaglandin take Cidr out 72 hrs later give GNRH again and AI We have had great success with this There is more info at selectsires.com. Hope this helped.

Latest posts