chrome on calves

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":3gpgty3v said:
I've have not studied the colors like I should so I'm asking folks that have. My ba bull is supposed to homo black and from all indication he is "except" with one cow and her daughter. I've had 6 calves off this white horned cow , out of 6, 3 sired by this bull 2 have been full of chrome. The other was soild back with maybe a little white on her belly.I kept her heifer that looked like old time sim and her first calf was black then this yrs calf was a clone of her. The white cow just calved again yesterday 304 days since last calf and its got 4 white stockings a heart on its forehead and a white circle just north of its tailhead. The bull has sired 43 head and all solid black except 3 , 2 are chromed up and one is smokey . is the cows genes that predominant??
The bull is HOMO black. That does not mean that the cow doesn't throw spots. It only means that she will not throw any red on the calves.

I think the white cow has a large % of shorthorn the shorthorn can be red,white,roan and any combination of the three,red /white marks is hard to get away from.A shorthorn bull of mine throws some chrome and solid colors never tell what will get.

What KT said just cause your Bull is Homo don't mean the calves can't have chrome
Char bull would be more effective at knocking the chrome off

Latest posts