Choosing right vaccine

Help Support CattleToday:

gerardplauche

Reaction score
I am buying feeder calves from cattle auctions and I having a few get sick a day or two later. I have been using ivomec so far, but I am wondering if there is a better vaccine out there for this application. Any suggestions?

Ivomec is only going to help against worms and parasites. Not respiratory problems if running fever or snotty noses.Also watch for dropping ears. Try nuflor or batril moderate cost, high cost draxin as an antiobotic, all must be bought from a vet. I had a friend that bought feeders and he give all calves a shot of one of the above just for insurance medicine cheaper than losing one. As far as vaccines talk to local vet. Valley Vet supply is a good online supplier and you can talk to vets about questions during business hours other than Saturday.

Ivermec is for worms and other internal parasites. It wont do much for other health issues.

Some will give everything an injection of Micotil upon arrival. Nuflor, Naxcel, Exnel, Baytril, are also good for respiratory problems. LA200 or the generics are rated for pneumonia but I have not found it to be as effective...but it is cheap. Penicillin is even cheaper but I dont think it is nearly as effective for "shipping fever" I would watch the calves upon arrival, make sure they have clean water and decent hay and work them 12 to 24 hours after arrival.

The lactic acid buildup from the sale barn and shipping stress can hinder the effectiveness of the vacine...or so I have been told by sources I respect. The wait helps the lactic acid to work out of their system and lets them settle out a bit too. If you have one in obvious distress I would hit it with a round of Micotil and a shot of banamine and B-12 as well to make them feel a little better and hopefully get on feed NOW.

You want them to go to feed and water immediately upon arrival. If they dont...watch them pretty close, maybe even get them up and temp them.

I hope this helps, good luck

Jay

Sick a day or 2 after you get them? Awfully quick. I wonder if your getting some of somebody's screws that they've loaded up with dexamethasone just for the sale. For sale cattle I like Vista Once and Vision 7 Somnus.

Larry

I buy cattle from the sale barns often. I will give the nuflor and baytril as soon as they are unloaded. Within the next 3 or so day after they are eating and drinking they get wormer, B12 , black leg and ect. Will loose one ever so often. I don't have very many get sick anymore. Do not skimp on the dosage and forget what it is costing. Just do it as if it has to be done.

When you buy the calves only buy calves that have a complete health program. That is eight way with somunus plus 2 rounds of cattle master gold. Those calves wont give you any problems.

We get all of our calves from auction yards and have never heard of giving b12 before,is it a noticable differance or just better to be safe than sorry.

gerardplauche":p3bciyto said:
I am buying feeder calves from cattle auctions and I having a few get sick a day or two later. I have been using ivomec so far, but I am wondering if there is a better vaccine out there for this application. Any suggestions?

You're probably looking at shipping fever - aka pneumonia. If this is the case, ivomec won't touch it since ivomec is for internal parasites only. You need to hit them with Nuflor, Baytril, Draxxin, or something along those lines at the first sign of symptoms. I have no experience with Draxxin but, fyi only, anyone I've talked to who has used it was not impressed. I prefer Baytril to Nuflor, because we've had much better results with it. You will have to decide for yourself which one works best in your situation. Should you go with Baytril, read the label carefully, and make sure you don't overdose - Baytril will destroy cartilage if you overdose.

Latest posts