Choice of direction- good or bad

Help Support CattleToday:

darcelina4

Reaction score
We have had cattle 4 years. My daughter and I started with bottle calves and now have quite a variety of breeds. We have sold some calves as feeders as that was the plan for them all along. We have culled along the way for many reasons. We have a few jerseys we use as nurse cows. We have many breeds of beef cattle. We have beefmaster, black Angus, bramgus, shorthorn, shorthorn plus, red Angus, fleckvieh, belted Galloway and dutch belted. We like red and white cattle. My daughter shows some. She will be a senior this year. All of our cattle get halter broke. They are all tame and gentle. We cull the ones that want to be too high headed. We cull if they wont stay home
We decided this spring we were going to buy some registered heifers to grow a herd from. We narrowed it down to three breeds we like the most- Fleckvieh, Beefmaster, and Red Angus. We ended up buying 4 registered red Angus heifers. What do you all think of that decision?

I think that is a good choice. I think Red Angus are very much underrated breed. Dun had a herd of Red Angus which was hard to fault, good moderate framed highly productive cows.

Ken

I think that was the best choice, except for maybe red Simmental. lol. I have a few red angus cows around here and really like them. They are good cows and the breed if profitable if you have good quality stock. I'll be using mine to make percentage Simmental cattle and PB red angus.

Wise choice I think, have some replacements out of a RA bull that are coming along quite nicely.

There are some really nice Red Angus sires available. I once had a red angus cow (commercial) who was a great mother and threw a black calf (bred to a black) every single year. She was a money maker. It seems to me Reds are a lot easier on the feed, it could of just been her.

The Red Angus is a good choice as their is a larger population of the breed to select from.

The Fleckvieh is really a great animal but not a very large population. I was told that only around 1200 Fleckvieh are registered yearly with the ASA. The dairy population is much larger.

While the Fleckvieh is a dual purpose breed, there are lines that are better for beef and others better for dairy. As we have processed registrations for both, we do see some of the old Fleckvieh show up in beef pedigrees.

I think you made a good choice but I'm biased. I have registered RA and I love them. Mine are stock from Redhill, JYJ and Cedar Hill genes. I'm focusing on moderate frame, fat and happy on just grass and high fertility. Always bad eggs in every breed but I believe RA has focused on the things I listed above more than some other breeds. Welcome to the breed!

Latest posts