Chinangus bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder said:
Now Butch i sure ain't guilty of that. OP asked about Chiangus. I have seen some pretty good looking chiangus bulls. EPD'S said they were lbw. I wouldn't know if they were or not. Now if i was him and already has Sim cross cows i would be hunting a purebred sim bull/
The OP cress27 is 24 yrs old with an off farm job and runs 15 cows (breed unknown or at least never mentioned) on his Dad's land in Kentucky. He is thinking of trying either a chiangus bull or a gelbvieh bull to breed first time heifers.

Given his situation I would recommend using a black angus bull on first time heifers.
But that wasn't his question, he is asking about chiangus or gelbvieh.... especially chiangus.

Haven't dealt with Chiangus in 30 years...but every one I worked on back then kicked the crap out of me.. even if I was standing up by its head.

I don't know about Chiangus, but you sure as heck don't want to use the high priced, easy calving "America" on heifers. At least that's what the bull's owner supposedly BH.

Lucky_P said:
Haven't dealt with Chiangus in 30 years...but every one I worked on back then kicked the crap out of me.. even if I was standing up by its head.
:nod: I got kicked in the left shoulder by one. I had my right arm elbow deep at the time. They're not supposed to be able to do that.

Cress27 said:
Anyone ever had any good or bad experiences breeding these bulls to first time heifers. I'm think of trying them or gelbvieh.

How much Chianina. They have Chiangus nowadays that are 75+% Angus. Back in the day we had full blood Chianina and high percentage Chiangus that I wouldn't want to breed to heifers even though their calves come out long and slender. But we had 80 - 100+ pound calves and I wouldn't chance that on heifers even though we never had to pull one. We bred heifers to Angus bulls.

cow pollinater said:
Lucky_P said:
:nod: I got kicked in the left shoulder by one. I had my right arm elbow deep at the time. They're not supposed to be able to do that.

I had one kick me under the armpit, then her leg got hooked in my overalls and drug me to the ground. She pulled her leg out, and about gave me another shot.
Haven't met a Chi yet that ain't at least a little bit crazy, a some point of another.

ALACOWMAN said:
Yours had a lot of Brahman blood in them didn't they??
We started with Brangus type cows by Brangus type I mean could be Brangus or BeefmasterxAngus or GertxAngus or who knows type cows that were commercial. And Chianina and Chiangus bulls. Over 20+ years we went from those bulls to Angus bulls then to Brangus and then now almost a decade of Angus bulls. Now we have a Brangus and Angus bulls to get some ear back. That is our main herd.

I have did some experiments with Gert and Hereford for replacements to sell to public. Started with gert cows and Hereford bulls and had a crossbred bull and I sell the Star 5 heifers for people to use. Crossbred bull hurt itself and so had to stick Brangus bull in with them in a pinch. Now looking for Gert bull or another crossbred to start back selling replacements.

Muddy said:
I can't remember which member on here did had some lbw balancer bulls. One bred his bull to a Dexter cow and she had the calf no problems.

Wow that sounds interesting, them Dexter cows are so damn small, eat so little. I wonder how good the cross calf fared compared to straight balance calves

Son of Butch said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
Now Butch i sure ain't guilty of that. OP asked about Chiangus. I have seen some pretty good looking chiangus bulls. EPD'S said they were lbw. I wouldn't know if they were or not. Now if i was him and already has Sim cross cows i would be hunting a purebred sim bull/
The OP cress27 is 24 yrs old with an off farm job and runs 15 cows (breed unknown or at least never mentioned) on his Dad's land in Kentucky. He is thinking of trying either a chiangus bull or a gelbvieh bull to breed first time heifers.

Given his situation I would recommend using a black angus bull on first time heifers.
But that wasn't his question, he is asking about chiangus or gelbvieh.... especially chiangus.

I have a mixture of cows I have a few Herefords, Charolais, and some sim cows but mostly black. the heifers I kept are purebred Hereford and a sim. I've got some ground of my own that's about 30 acres and I'm going to put a few cows and the heifers on this place just trying to expand my own operation. My dad uses gelbvieh and Hereford on his cows and has pretty good luck but I haven't seen how well they do on heifers. I'm just going to rent a bull I think. I know a guy that has all sorts of breeds. All are registered and have papers.

Cress27 said:
Son of Butch said:
cress27.... is thinking of trying either a chiangus bull or a gelbvieh bull to breed first time heifers.
I would recommend using a black angus bull on first time heifers.
the heifers I kept are purebred Hereford and a sim.
I'm just going to rent a bull I think.
I know a guy that has all sorts of breeds. All are registered and have papers.
Black Angus would make f1 black baldies and sim x angus is a good cross too.
A Hereford bull to make more purebreds would be my 2nd choice.

Latest posts