Children and Storms

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
When I married my husband, he had grandchildren, and they were raised to be terrified of storms. Then they had a tornado to hit there house, and it made it twice as bad.
When the little one would come over and a thunderstorm was coming up, he would panic.

I have always loved thunderstorms and bad weather has never bothered me, even as a child. When my parents thought a tornado was coming, they would load us up in the car because our house sat up at the top of a hill, and was not very protective. Dad figured that away from the house would be safer between two hills where the road was cut away. I always thought it was great fun and it was the only time we all got along.

When the grandson would get so upset, I told him we would have storm party. My front porch faces the south, and I turned the air off and and I opened the double front doors and we pulled two comfortable chairs as the front porch shielded us. I popped some pop corn and we watched the dark clouds get close and watched the lightening and I told him it was like fireworks, and the thunder was like giants bowling. The thunder rolling was when they threw the balls, and when the lightening struck, it meant they had a strike. Usually before it comes, there is no wind and the corn field is so long and I can see so far off. I can watch the clouds building in the next county. So he was excited as the clouds came in and pointed at the different lightening bolts and flashes of light like he was the first one to see them.

He would want to spend the night when he thought a storm was coming up so we could have storm party, or if he did spend the night, he would say, "I hope it storms tonight." He would grin and hang on my arm with a big grin on his face.

But if it stormed and he was not here, his Mother would call panicking and making everyone terrified in the house. The kids had no chance. I told him that he would have to be the strong one in the house and calm everyone down as it was seldom that a house was hit.

He asked me why I wasn't scared and I told him that it was seldom that a house was hit, and usually, people are OK, as he saw that he was OK. I said, this has been going on all my life and look at all the people around you, they are old and tornadoes didn't kill them. That made sense to him. It was a goofy thing to say, but he accepted it.

Also I told him that I was already thinking about what I would build if the tornado got the house. I would build the share croppers house I had dreamed of. We have a friend that lives in one, and he knew the one I was talking about. So, I helped him get past his fear of bad weather. It was fun to see him go from a panic mode to enjoying it.

He was afraid of the dark and I worked on that one, but I don't think I put much of a dent on that one. We would go walking when the moon was out and you could see really well. He would take a flash light and I would have him turn it off because I couldn't see when he had it on as it looked like the sun was shining. Sometimes I would take him down the road on the 4Wheeler and we would get off. One time I took him to a cemetery and wanted to show him a tombstone, He had a flashlight, but I told him we couldn't turn it on until we got to the tombstone because someone could see us. It was moon lit. It was a tombstone with a Charolais bull engraved on a black marble stone. It was so pretty. He told everyone about it, but still, he just couldn't get over his fear of the dark. His Mother implanted that fear in him too.

Aw shucks. I thought this was gonna be thread about how your Dad took you out and tied you to a tree on top of a hill and made you ride out a tornado so you wouldn't be scared of them anymore..

Don't be mad but, after the weaning thread it seemed reasonable! ;-)

I have an adult nephew (in his early 40s) that has the same weather phobia. Don't know where it originated, but suspect it has it's roots in his occupation--he's a safety bigwig at a big oil company.
Anytime there's a t-storm warning, his magic box (I-phone) gets an alert and he calls everyone around and urges them to go hide under their beds till it's over. Ok, I exaggerate that a little but that's what it amounts to. The guy gathers his family and heads for home and cover the first hint of a dark cloud or a little wind, and expects all of us to do the same. It's pathetic to watch.

Thunderstorms make me feel alive when they are loud. My older brother is afraid too. I don't understand it, but then a lot of people don't understand me, which I will never understand.

3Way, if he had strapped me to the hood of the car like a deer, that would have put a bit more excitement to it. :nod:

greybeard":kbkmyfxe said:
I have an adult nephew (in his early 40s) that has the same weather phobia. Don't know where it originated, but suspect it has it's roots in his occupation--he's a safety bigwig at a big oil company.
Anytime there's a t-storm warning, his magic box (I-phone) gets an alert and he calls everyone around and urges them to go hide under their beds till it's over. Ok, I exaggerate that a little but that's what it amounts to. The guy gathers his family and heads for home and cover the first hint of a dark cloud or a little wind, and expects all of us to do the same. It's pathetic to watch.

#2 MIL was like that and she had a storm cellar. Every time a storm rolled in she was calling us to get to her cellar. After the third trip I said the he!! with it and stayed in bed. Man, I got my butt chewed the next day.

Chuckie":mgizgm61 said:
I don't understand it, but then a lot of people don't understand me, which I will never understand.
I don't understand why you can't understand that......but since I don't know you, I think that's understandable.

Only rarely do I get concerned with a storm. Not so worried about a tornado killing me but the Prius inside the tornado is what bothers me. Gives me nightmares. To be killed by a dam Prius! Oh, the shame.

My XMIL lived in Miami. When Andrew hit we told her to come stay with us but instead she stocked up at the liquor store and had a hurricane party - solo. When we finally got in touch with her she had a new cat. She had sat in front of the plate glass window drinking her tall glass of vodka watching the storm when the glass broke and a cat came flying in her home. She named him Andy. Her house was one of the few in her neighborhood that still had a roof on it after the storm. Seems they build homes better in the early sixties than they do now.

Chuckie":3g1aeix4 said:
Thunderstorms make me feel alive when they are loud. My older brother is afraid too. I don't understand it, but then a lot of people don't understand me, which I will never understand.

3Way, if he had strapped me to the hood of the car like a deer, that would have put a bit more excitement to it. :nod
:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Jogeephus":3ov05dth said:
Only rarely do I get concerned with a storm. Not so worried about a tornado killing me but the Prius inside the tornado is what bothers me. Gives me nightmares. To be killed by a dam Prius! Oh, the shame.

My XMIL lived in Miami. When Andrew hit we told her to come stay with us but instead she stocked up at the liquor store and had a hurricane party - solo. When we finally got in touch with her she had a new cat. She had sat in front of the plate glass window drinking her tall glass of vodka watching the storm when the glass broke and a cat came flying in her home. She named him Andy. Her house was one of the few in her neighborhood that still had a roof on it after the storm. Seems they build homes better in the early sixties than they do now.

I survived Hurricane Andrew and all I got was this dam cat

I think a little respect for bad weather is a good thing. I used to sleep thru a tornado watches/warnings. I always assumed that it would get someone else, or not be as bad as they said. Then one day, one got my home, every building on the place, my equipment, my vehicles, 4 miles of fence, several cows. You see where this is going. While laying painfully pinned under the rubble of a two story house for 4 hours, I had a little time to rethink my storm strategy. I am now of the opinion that a thunder storm is to be respected.

I was never scared of storms as a child. In my teens I worked for a pack station. My first season I went over Franklin Pass, elevation 11,000 plus a total of fourteen times and eleven of them were in a lightning storm. I am fine when I'm on the valley floor but I don't ever want to feel my hair stand up again.

Weather can be dangerous. As much as I appreciate the NWS, I no longer rely on them for warnings. My May 14th storm was warned 10 minutes after it hit me. The back of my place was hit in early June. That tornado was never warned at all. I probably should have called them to come look at it. It might help their accuracy some way.

I don't spend much time in bad weather around here, and I'm not at any sort of elevation.. I won't be carrying a 40 aluminum irrigation pipe in a lightning storm, but I can thoroughly enjoy them. I can say I'm not scared of them, though I think that would change a little if it strikes within a couple hundred yards.. never happens here though, same with tornadoes.

Same goes for bees.. some people call everything yellow and black "bees". What about spiders and mice?.. I hate them with a passion, but I certainly am not scared of them

Bigfoot":26e8gi7r said:
I think a little respect for bad weather is a good thing. I used to sleep thru a tornado watches/warnings. I always assumed that it would get someone else, or not be as bad as they said. Then one day, one got my home, every building on the place, my equipment, my vehicles, 4 miles of fence, several cows. You see where this is going. While laying painfully pinned under the rubble of a two story house for 4 hours, I had a little time to rethink my storm strategy. I am now of the opinion that a thunder storm is to be respected.

Respect; that is the best choice of words for how one needs to view a storm.

I can see how being terrified to the point that one can't function isn't productive, but respect for bad weather is a normal thing in my opinion. Only in recent years have I heard people say they liked storms or act as if someone is looney because they respect storms. While a storm may not hit my house, it may hit my neighbors home. It may destroy their home or even kill someone. I've known that to happen several times over the years in my town, and I've seen the aftermath on tv of how storms can devastate entire towns and communities. I would feel really weird saying that storms didn't bother me or that I enjoyed them.

3Way, being strapped to the hood of the family car like a deer would have been more exciting vs. being tied to the big oak tree in the front yard to face the tornado as you had mentioned earlier. :lol2:

Wall clouds get my attention now also. Was fixing fence against some trees when a low wall cloud passed over followed by a bunch of dark clouds that couldn't decide which way they were going. Very eerie.

I got to fix more fence a few minutes later, just not in the same spot.

Latest posts