Chicken litter wait time?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper":696axao7 said:
..Was that it did not get to be the worlds number one most powerful Nation on earth by allowing U.S. farmers to carry on unsafe farming practices (like using chicken/turkey litter) to grow beef and other types of food for its citizens. 8) If it was an unsafe farming practice our goverment would not allow it to go on.

You might want to do a little research on this one. Unless the law has been changed lately, it is perfectly legal to feed chicken litter to cattle in the US. There are also people who do it. If you doubt that, do a search on these boards - the topic has been discussed more than once.

I myself am more concerned about the beef and other products that are imported into the U.S. than of being posioned by U.S. grown beef.

Get your head out of the sand. :roll: The US has just as many problems as any other country, we just don't look for them.

And i agree with you to i would not want to eat a beef that was feed chicken litter.

If you are, in fact, fertilizing your pastures with chicken litter, you have undoubtedly eaten beef indirectly fed chicken litter. We routinely used chicken litter on the fields when we raised chickens, but we never, ever used it on pasture.

And you said you knew for a fact that you know of that going on here in the U.S. ? I wish i knew where that is going on at ? You apparently have better contacts than i do and i live in the heart of the U. S. I would guess though with you making such a statement that you must come to the U.S. frequently and know some farmers who feed straight chicken litter to their cattle ?

As previously stated - do a search on these boards, you'll find several threads where people have freely admitted to feeding their cattle chicken litter.

But i think here in the U.S. word would have got arround for it to be happening in a sizeible amount. 8)

Oh, it happens. I can't say for certain how widespread it is, but I've seen and read several articles about it in various livestock publications.

Sorry folks I must have mislead you.
I want it for fertilizer, not feed.
With convention fertilizer at over $300 per ton and as it is a petroleum (oil) based product, I will take all the free fertilizer I can get, and I'll truck it.

Bez,

If i remember right you said you ship out about 30,000 birds a week to slaughter ? How big of a chicken operation do you run ? I mean how many chicken house & about how long are the houses ?

I am not real familiar with the chicken business here. But most of the time chicken farmers here sell a batch of chickens about every 6 weeks some where arround there. And the number of chickens they sell depends on the number of houses. I think on a average chicken house they can grow about 15,000 birds. Some of you chicken growers chime in here and help me out.

And the farms run from about 4 houses on up to 12 or so houses. So the chicken business sounds different here compared to yours ? I would guess most chicken farmers here send out anywhere from 60,000 on up birds at a time but on 6 week intervals where you send out 30,000 weekly ?

Stepper":xawper9l said:
Bez,

If i remember right you said you ship out about 30,000 birds a week to slaughter ? How big of a chicken operation do you run ? I mean how many chicken house & about how long are the houses ?

I am not real familiar with the chicken business here. But most of the time chicken farmers here sell a batch of chickens about every 6 weeks some where arround there. And the number of chickens they sell depends on the number of houses. I think on a average chicken house they can grow about 15,000 birds. Some of you chicken growers chime in here and help me out.

And the farms run from about 4 houses on up to 12 or so houses. So the chicken business sounds different here compared to yours ? I would guess most chicken farmers here send out anywhere from 60,000 on up birds at a time but on 6 week intervals where you send out 30,000 weekly ?

I have nothing to do with it - hate chickens unless they are fried.

6 barns - three floors each - 10,000 to a floor. Barn goes in full - day olds - and goes out empty at 39 days (+/-).

7'th barn is always empty - being cleaned for next batch of chicks. Rotational basis.

Birds leave every week - whole barn - on a 38 - 42 day schedule if memory serve. It is a big operation and she has a few employees.

I just provide coffee and doughnuts every now and then.

Bez>

msscamp

I know you and old Bez are kind of sweet on one another. :lol: But i think your going to have to come up with something with a little more fact to convince me that our cattle industry is raising U.S. beef entirely on chicken litter.

And i have read alot of the discussions about feeding chicken litter here on CT as they were discussed and there is no more proof than what Bez presented to me in this discussion.

And i did not realize that Wyoming was that big in the chicken industry. :lol: So your the one who might should get their head out of the sand. And i myself think for one think that the U.S. is a pretty good country to live in. I have brothers, my father, uncels who fought and died for this country. So people like you and me can enjoy the freedoms and opportunitys this great country has to offer.

I never said it did not have its own problems. But even with its problems it is still the most powerful nation on earth. And even with its problems i have not herd of anyone wanting to get out of it. Except for the draft dogers and their like bad genetics in cattle. We dont want them in our country anyway. But there are millions up on millions of illegal alliens wanting into our country.

So as to your comment about pulling my head out of the sand and look arround. Maybe you should use your head instead of tring to take up for old Bez and be realistic about things. ;-)

Bez,

I have never herd of a chicken house with 3 floors. The chicken Turkey houses arround here are single floor houses about 45 foot wide and 400 foot long. They have dirt floors with i think rice hulls put on the floor. They use to use cedar shavings(may still use them,not sure)

The only type of chicken house that might be similiar to yours that i can think of would be for cornish hens(small game type chickens) But i think they even grow them in regular chicken houses.

I just can not imagine a chicken house with 3 floors ? And to most chicken farmers here only have 1 maybe 2 hired hands other than themselfs to handle big operations.

So are there alot of chicken farmers in your part of the country ?

I am sure i am picturing your houses wrong. When you say 3 floors. You are meaning the barns are divided into 3 sections ? Not 3 levels high ? Right ?

Stepper":3vbvy9yl said:
msscamp

I know you and old Bez are kind of sweet on one another. :lol:

Yet another example of you thinking you know what is what, and failing miserably. ;-)

But i think your going to have to come up with something with a little more fact to convince me that our cattle industry is raising U.S. beef entirely on chicken litter.

And i have read alot of the discussions about feeding chicken litter here on CT as they were discussed and there is no more proof than what Bez presented to me in this discussion.

And i did not realize that Wyoming was that big in the chicken industry. :lol: So your the one who might should get their head out of the sand. And i myself think for one think that the U.S. is a pretty good country to live in. I have brothers, my father, uncels who fought and died for this country. So people like you and me can enjoy the freedoms and opportunitys this great country has to offer.

I never said it did not have its own problems. But even with its problems it is still the most powerful nation on earth. And even with its problems i have not herd of anyone wanting to get out of it. Except for the draft dogers and their like bad genetics in cattle. We dont want them in our country anyway. But there are millions up on millions of illegal alliens wanting into our country.

So as to your comment about pulling my head out of the sand and look arround. Maybe you should use your head instead of tring to take up for old Bez and be realistic about things. ;-)

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. Whatever you think, Stepper, you're obviously the "expert" here. And on only a few years of raising cattle, too! I'm impressed! :roll:

Well msscamp 8) I feel about the same as you do. And i would really wonder just how many years experience you have with cattle yourself and how many of them have been working on you daddys farm ? ;-)

msscamp":13aky4it said:
Stepper":13aky4it said:
..Was that it did not get to be the worlds number one most powerful Nation on earth by allowing U.S. farmers to carry on unsafe farming practices (like using chicken/turkey litter) to grow beef and other types of food for its citizens. 8) If it was an unsafe farming practice our goverment would not allow it to go on.

You might want to do a little research on this one. Unless the law has been changed lately, it is perfectly legal to feed chicken litter to cattle in the US. There are also people who do it. If you doubt that, do a search on these boards - the topic has been discussed more than once.

I myself am more concerned about the beef and other products that are imported into the U.S. than of being posioned by U.S. grown beef.

Get your head out of the sand. :roll: The US has just as many problems as any other country, we just don't look for them.

And i agree with you to i would not want to eat a beef that was feed chicken litter.

If you are, in fact, fertilizing your pastures with chicken litter, you have undoubtedly eaten beef indirectly fed chicken litter. We routinely used chicken litter on the fields when we raised chickens, but we never, ever used it on pasture.

And you said you knew for a fact that you know of that going on here in the U.S. ? I wish i knew where that is going on at ? You apparently have better contacts than i do and i live in the heart of the U. S. I would guess though with you making such a statement that you must come to the U.S. frequently and know some farmers who feed straight chicken litter to their cattle ?

As previously stated - do a search on these boards, you'll find several threads where people have freely admitted to feeding their cattle chicken litter.

But i think here in the U.S. word would have got arround for it to be happening in a sizeible amount. 8)

Oh, it happens. I can't say for certain how widespread it is, but I've seen and read several articles about it in various livestock publications.

Greetings my dear lady - as I am sweet on you I figured you would forgive the public familiarity.

You are wrong to jump into this as it will simply get down into the weeds and possibly the mud if one is not careful.

That would turn what has been a nice night into a not so nice night - and until now it has been fun.

I have admitted I was wrong - chicken litter is not fed to cattle in the U.S. of A. - as you are the worlds largest super power - although I have no idea why that would have any bearing on this issue.

So with that note I am going out in dark and in the rain to check on a few cows.

Have a good one.

Bez>

Stepper":xputwu3s said:
Well msscamp 8) I feel about the same as you do. And i would really wonder just how many years experience you have with cattle yourself and how many of them have been working on you daddys farm ? ;-)

When was the last time you saw me post a question about taking care of cattle? Please feel free to do a search if you like.

Bez>":v25m4jd1 said:
msscamp":v25m4jd1 said:
Stepper":v25m4jd1 said:

Greetings my dear lady - as I am sweet on you I figured you would forgive the public familiarity.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You are wrong to jump into this as it will simply get down into the weeds and possibly the mud if one is not careful.

Point taken.

That would turn what has been a nice night into a not so nice night - and until now it has been fun.

No need for that.

So with that note I am going out in dark and in the rain to check on a few cows.

Have a good one.

Bez>

Watch out for the puddles! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know msscamp what i have noticed most about your posting is that usally no one ask for your years of knowledge & wisdom. You seem to follow people arround and try to give it to them wether they want it or not. :lol:

Just like me most of them will politely passify you and act like as if they really need your advice. :roll: But i for one assure you if you was to never spare poor old newbie me another word of your sound advice again. I think i will still survive. ;-)

And i'll even make you a promise i wont ever bother you for any of your vast knowledge and wisdom. So you should not feel it necessary to offer any when i as a question. 8)

Stepper":1tszltgw said:
You know msscamp what i have noticed most about your posting is that usally no one ask for your years of knowledge & wisdom. You seem to follow people arround and try to give it to them wether they want it or not. :lol:

Just like me most of them will politely passify you and act like as if they really need your advice. :roll: But i for one assure you if you was to never spare poor old newbie me another word of your sound advice again. I think i will still survive. ;-)

And i'll even make you a promise i wont ever bother you for any of your vast knowledge and wisdom. So you should not feel it necessary to offer any when i as a question. 8)

Consider it done.

I know nothing of chicken litter. But this is turkey country. The turkey litter is used for fertilizer. Mostly in irrigated fields, corn, soybeans, dry beans mostly. Some use it on mixed hay [not irrigated] I've seen it used on pasture, but not often. They say it's excellent for corn and as far as I know most of area corn growers are using it. I don't know of anyone ever using it for feed.
I haven't used litter, I use cow manure and never seem to get that all spread.

Msscamp....you go gal! :lol: :lol: ;-)

We still read about folks that do feed chicken litter to cattle, not on a large commertical scale but there are still some folks that can't give up what their great granddaddy did.

DMc

Stepper":1ve7t9or said:
Hey i am here to tell you chicken litter is great fertlizer.(not feed but fertlizer). It is a common practice where ever you find large chicken farming practices to use it on pastures. It is better than commerical fertlizer because it helps build the soil up and a little cheaper but not a whole lot.

And it is harder to get sometimes compared to commerical fertlizer. Most people who you will find that will bad mouth the use of it as a fertlizer probably have very little experience using it. And the reason for that is probably because they dont have much access to enough of it to use on very big meadows.

Here in my location and for miles in every direction alot of the farmers are both chicken farmers and cattle farmers. The reason for that is they have all of that chicken litter from there chicken houses when they clean them out before starting on growing a new batch of chickens. They can spread it on pastures and grow some of the best quality hay possible. Then feed it to their cattle.

And if it was harmful to use it as fertlizer the goverment would not alow this practice to go on. But actually the goverment ( county extenison agents, USDA ) incourrage the use of it.

And i can see how people who has no experience with the use of it as fertlizer would be scared of using it. But I can tell you from experience it is a great fertlizer and it is used wide spread in the U.S. (And keep in mind the U.S. is the number one supper power on this little plannet we all live on.) And in this great country we live in. I dont think our goverment would steer us wrong. ;-)

At one time people did feed chicken litter to their cattle and that is now against the law to do that. There is a big difference in feeding litter to cattle and using it as fertlizer. As a matter of fact there is a process you have to go through to get cattle to eat just straight litter.( and i mean them eating it like grain or hay not nibbling arround on just a little bit of it here and there.)
stepper id like to know what state your in that its illeagle to feed litter to cattle.a few weeks ago i asked a few of my buddies that raise broilers if it was illeagel to feed litter.an they told me no it isnt illegal to feed litter.an i goes well some guys on cattle board think it is .an the go no its not illegal in texas.said they toyed with it here in texas but dropped it real quick .

I really appreciated getting so much information in 24hrs! I turned 'em out and they were quite happy and left the litter on the ground. Lucky with this delivery, didn't spot any carcass remains or feathers for that matter.

I'll try to come up with another question as juicy as this one!