Chicken help needed

Help Support CattleToday:

Somebody probably lost the hen in town. My dad used to bring chickens home alot when I was a kid. He was a diesel mechanic for a Massey Ferguson dealership for a long time. Farmers would come to town and sometimes hens would be in the back of the truck, maybe on a nest and fly out and wander around in town.

Last year I hooked the cattle trailer up to my truck and drove 14 miles to a leased pasture to catch up some calves to wean. Was down there for probably an hour getting the calves into the corral, backed the trailer up to the gate to run them into it and all of a sudden one of my good laying hens flies out of the nose of the trailer and starts cackling. I didn't know she had been getting in there and laying. I caught her and took her back home.

Lammie":2l3bwchy said:
Angus Cowman":2l3bwchy said:
Lammie":2l3bwchy said:
I was stopping by the KFC in Granbury one day several years ago, and there were two live chickens roaming around outside in the parking lot.

Run! Run for your lives!!! Don't you know what they do in there???
Back several yrs ago Some guys I know caught there excess barn cats and turned them loose in the dumpster of the local oriental restaurant and the owner was out there chasing the cats with his meat cleaver

He wasn't trying to kill them but he came out the back door and just happened to have his cleaver in hand when he seen all those cats and started trying to shoo them off

I don't actually know who was involved in this prank I was just told about it
Kinda like when we were in HS and someone took a baby food jar with skunk glands and threw it against the back wall of the girls bathroom
Never did find the culprits

Yeah, right...

I sense dis-belief. You think AC knew something more than he's telling?

Didn't understand the grown chicken part. Feed it, water it, and try to keep the dogs away from it. That's about it.

Belties R Us":1u393vq1 said:
yes it is full grown but it is a Barred Rock

Nice big brown egg layer. I had a barnfull of them. Only have about 5 or 6 now. Good chicken. You should get more of them.

My daughters have shown chickens in 4-H for years and have had a blast. I'm not familiar with FFA but I know that 4-H has a good chicken program with several different types of projects to choose from-not just market birds. Yes, you will need more than 1 chicken and a lot of times you can find older layers for sale or giveaway in the local papers. I've found them on Craigslist also. It might be better to start with a flock of grown chickens than babies. The books listed on this site are also good reading. Chickens are fun to have around and are relatively easy to care for. I have one Black Austrolorp that is 11 years old.

I love Buff Orpeingtons(spelling) they are the most amazing color,and mostly calm(at least for a chicken). They lay large brown eggs,have white under feathers. This is good,if you plan to eat the excess roosters.Oh,they're large birds also.

Belties R Us":3nwykpdj said:
no its still alive and we finished the chicken coup for it yesterday. I believe we will be buying at least one more. Does anyone know how to show chickens? My daughter is in FFA and wants to show them.

Buy some more. Keep them together.

Tell daughter to forget showing until she knows what a chicken eats and how to raise them.

Research!!! FFA will likely have all she needs.

Have fun.

Eat them at about 38 - 45 days and up.

Anything over 4 months make into soup or stew - too stringy for much more in my opinion.

Some breeds tend to to "flip" if over fed. Literally fall over on their backs and die - so be sure to mind the feed.

Get a couple layers and eat the eggs. Let them wander the yard - the egg yolks will be every colour of the rainbow from eating what they are supposed to eat - bugs, seeds and gravel,

Have fun and no tears when you kill them to eat, they die or are carried off by a predator. They truly are the bottom of the food chain.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Bez+

Lammie":2gjmtd95 said:
donnaIL":2gjmtd95 said:
There is a website at backyardchickens.com that has alot of info.

If you non-chicken people, or you folks who actually raise chickens to be eaten, log on to backyard chickens.com, you will find it extremely amusing. I had to stop posting on it because it made me too mad. I was the Caustic Burno of that site. People asking if roosters lay eggs, what sort of leash to use for a chicken, what to do when the rooster chases you around, (that's a no brainer), people who keep chickens but don't eat eggs... It's a hoot. I wasn't very helpful.

Then again, I have asked some really stoopid questions about cattle. I'm not trying to keep them in the house, though!

It slays me. Go there for a good laugh.

I am shocked and mortified that YOU of all people would become the CB of the chicken boards!! :shock: :shock:

How in heavens name did I miss this the first time I read this thread. :D :D

Oh, you are killing me right now with images of you telling them - "Do not waste your money - kill it and feed it to the coyotes! Cut off its head with an axe or hatchet. Rip its guts out after you have plucked the feathers from that skinny chicken. Only good rooster is a dead rooster and no I do not care if you love it! It is not a pet it is a critter - meant to be eaten. :lol: :lol:

Just killing me ..... :lol2:

I must be over tired - nite Lammie

Outa' here - take care

Bez+

You really should visit that site when you get a chance, Bez. There are some hilarious things on there. And yes, I have made the comment that chickens do not, on the whole, make very good pets and I have said that a flogging rooster is a dead rooster at my house. I had to quit posting. It is good for a laugh, though.

Glad you enjoyed my wit.

I have chickens now and have had for years,but there is something I have always wondered.
May be a stupid question,but perhaps one of you chicken pros can answer.

If a hen and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half,how long would it take a rooster to set on a door knob and hatch out a hardware store?

Cal

Calman":1pp454d3 said:
I have chickens now and have had for years,but there is something I have always wondered.
May be a stupid question,but perhaps one of you chicken pros can answer.

If a hen and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half,how long would it take a rooster to set on a door knob and hatch out a hardware store?

Cal

Blue

Latest posts