Chianina??

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I'm trying to get some more info on Chianinas. I have a guy wanting to trade a steer of this breed for my angus heifer. And I know nothing about them!. So If you know anything about them can you help me out? I just dont want to trade my angus and it not be worth it. The steer he wants to trade is 350 pounds. I just dont want to get something that I can't get money out of.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.!
:cboy:

Why would you trade a heifer for a steer, especially a 350 steer?

I've just gotten into cattle so I'm still a bit clueless. I know the basics, but still have lots to learn!Lol.I'm not really sure on what my heifer weighs. But she was 6 weeks old two weeks before labor day. And now she's built like a brick outhouse. I'm starting to think after looking at pictures of Chianinas that the one he is wanting to trade is crossed with something. Because it's black as my angus is. And technically it's my fiance' that was thinking about trading. I would rather not. Lol. My angus would be an amazing 4-H cow. Has the perfect disposition, and the perfect stance.

What do you intend on doing with the heifer if you keep her or the steer if you trade?
If the steer is a show steer, most show steers have Chi in them but are likely to be more Angus/Main or Angus/Sim than Chi. They can register their crosses as Chi even if it is a very small percentage of Chi, so they call them Chi's.

I won't tell you whether to trade or not, since I have no idea what you plan on doing.

Are either of these animals registered? What are your(or your fiance's) plans for either one? Also, where in KY are you?

futuremrsstinson":sdybzbre said:
I'm trying to get some more info on Chianinas. I have a guy wanting to trade a steer of this breed for my angus heifer. And I know nothing about them!. So If you know anything about them can you help me out? I just dont want to trade my angus and it not be worth it. The steer he wants to trade is 350 pounds. I just dont want to get something that I can't get money out of.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.!
:cboy:
futuremrsS-

Go online and [search] Chianina Beef Cattle. That will inform you about the breed.

I am confused as to what your 'goals' are concerning trading a heifer for a steer, unless you are going to show him. The phenotype of Chianina cattle lends itself to the show ring, in addition to "Terminal" type characteristics and traits. But the inevitable final destination of your steer would be the dinner table!

DOC HARRIS

Real Bad Idea, Chi didn't fair well crossed with an Angus, so keep your heifer, sounds like he is hoping to get ahead with your heifer, a little beneth board in my opinion. :welcome:

Thanks for all the input we decided not to trade the guy and we just hung on to the heifer. Not really sure what im gonna do with her yet just finish her out or sell her as replacement. Still new to this having them on my own but ive worked and been around other cattle the werent mine all my life.

Chianinas are worth alot money in the pulling world. how old is he? could break him for pulling and get huge money for him. In New England they bring in the thousands. I bought mine in Maine as a yearling broke to pull. might want to look into that. I believe Rural Herritage is located near you. they have a forum for sale, take a look and see what they go for!

UnionFarms":34p6bccl said:
Chianinas are worth alot money in the pulling world. how old is he? could break him for pulling and get huge money for him. In New England they bring in the thousands. I bought mine in Maine as a yearling broke to pull. might want to look into that. I believe Rural Herritage is located near you. they have a forum for sale, take a look and see what they go for!
And here is a link:
http://www.ruralheritage.com/team_for_s ... category=3

Latest posts