chianina

Help Support CattleToday:

you must be quite the fence builder :cboy:

clicked on the link and lo and behold there's a darn black animal on the home page. Italians must be so disgusted that their proper coloured cattle aren't used. The same can be said for the North American South Devon Association,the poms must be disgusted when they see a black SD on the home page. The same could be said for Limmos,Simmies etc etc. Its a wonder that some of the purest haven't taken these breed societies to task for misrepresenting the true colour or makeup of the breed. An example is how French take offence at wine makers calling Champagne that name when it doesn't come form the Champagne region.I have no worries about breeders using black cattle of whatever breed (I have some black SDs) but I would never forget the true colour of the breed.

The black bull would be because the vast majority of cattle registered in the ACA are less than 25% chi. A name change was considered several years ago, but was met with controversy by the solely fullblood breeders.

There's a Chi ranch very close to where I live. I wish I could remember the name of it. It's between Stephenville, TX and Hico, TX.

Next time I'm down that highway I'll write the name down.

Alice

Australian Cattleman":3dgkbxox said:
clicked on the link and lo and behold there's a darn black animal on the home page. Italians must be so disgusted that their proper coloured cattle aren't used. The same can be said for the North American South Devon Association,the poms must be disgusted when they see a black SD on the home page. The same could be said for Limmos,Simmies etc etc. Its a wonder that some of the purest haven't taken these breed societies to task for misrepresenting the true colour or makeup of the breed. An example is how French take offence at wine makers calling Champagne that name when it doesn't come form the Champagne region.I have no worries about breeders using black cattle of whatever breed (I have some black SDs) but I would never forget the true colour of the breed.

I downloaded the ACA AI Sire Directory, and would you believe all but one of the bulls in there are black, and none are over 40% Chianina. Some are as low as 1 or 2% chianina blood. What a joke! Why is an animal with 1% chianina blood allowed to be represented as Chianina??

To call the association the American Chianina Association is misleading, and false advertising. Seems to me, there needs to be a purebred/fullblodd Chianina Association, as well as a Chi-cross Association.

Though, I will say some of those bulls are impressive. I particularly like the phenotype of Country Ladd, Ace of Spades, Crown Royal, Superman and Trump.

Keren":269bvqw8 said:
I downloaded the ACA AI Sire Directory, and would you believe all but one of the bulls in there are black, and none are over 40% Chianina. Some are as low as 1 or 2% chianina blood. What a joke! Why is an animal with 1% chianina blood allowed to be represented as Chianina??

To call the association the American Chianina Association is misleading, and false advertising. Seems to me, there needs to be a purebred/fullblodd Chianina Association, as well as a Chi-cross Association.

Though, I will say some of those bulls are impressive. I particularly like the phenotype of Country Ladd, Ace of Spades, Crown Royal, Superman and Trump.

I too find myself outraged when it comes to percentages. There are 99 cattle in the registry today that are less than 1% chi. In national shows there are 2 categories - Chiangus & Chi-cross(mostly chimaines) - if 10 fullbloods show up then they have there own show, but that never happens. Anyway - @ the 2006 National Show, the GC chi-cross bull was 1.27% chi. :roll:

We used to have a min. percentage - and I have always thought that we needed one, but whatever.

The low percentage chis certainly impact have impacted the chi industry in both positve and negative ways, but come on it is the American Chianina Association. Even if we did have a name change, that's far too low.

The Chi Assn, Shorthorn Assn and to some extent Maines and Simmi are just after $$$$$ from registrations. They have diluted the breeds way too much.

I remenber from years gone by a farm in Waxahachie, TX called Black Champ Farms or something to that effect. Don't know if they're still around or not.

Black Champ is long since gone but boy, did they "walk the dog" back in the late 70's and early 80's. It was owned by a Dallas Doctor.

*Cowgirl*":quy5puwy said:
Keren":quy5puwy said:

I too find myself outraged when it comes to percentages. There are 99 cattle in the registry today that are less than 1% chi. In national shows there are 2 categories - Chiangus & Chi-cross(mostly chimaines) - if 10 fullbloods show up then they have there own show, but that never happens. Anyway - @ the 2006 National Show, the GC chi-cross bull was 1.27% chi. :roll:

We used to have a min. percentage - and I have always thought that we needed one, but whatever.

The low percentage chis certainly impact have impacted the chi industry in both positve and negative ways, but come on it is the American Chianina Association. Even if we did have a name change, that's far too low.

Cowgirl, are there any 100% Chianina bulls available for AI?

Unfortunately, none that I know of, but there must be some out there as there still are active fullblood breeders. They just seem to be less visible than before (i.e. not actively advertising or showing)

I would check Chiarrow in addition to Mizes in search of an AI sire.

Here is a list of Bulls born after 19995 and have at least 95% chi there are 543 - surely there are a few available for AI.
http://www.acaregistry.org/detailedresults.aspx

And honestly, I have had very little experience with Fullbloods, and know very few breeders.

my brother calls them the American Crossbred association.......rather hilarious but true.....it is pretty ridiculous that there standards are that low but look at it this way shows like louisville and denver dont have a crossbred show......so if they higher their standards they would cut out kids from showing in juniors shows at places like that.

when you really think about getting a registration from the ACA is just a ticket to show in the chi division

what are the purebreds being used for anyway?
i hope not for feedlot beef because they wouldnt stay in the fence and they seam t have a lean carcass at least from pictures.

being honest crossing maines and angus into them i think gives a better look to the breed.....i doesnt give a better look to the ACA for being able to register them

richburg102":3jfgnjkk said:
my brother calls them the American Crossbred association.......rather hilarious but true.....

I do think that, if the society was going to be completely honest, they should spit into the American Chi-Cross Association and the American Chianina Association. Because you are right, they may as well be the American Crossbred Association

it is pretty ridiculous that there standards are that low but look at it this way shows like louisville and denver dont have a crossbred show......so if they higher their standards they would cut out kids from showing in juniors shows at places like that.

In Australia there is no such thing as a 'crossbred show' . . . and young people who want to show seem to do just fine here . . .

when you really think about getting a registration from the ACA is just a ticket to show in the chi division

Yep, seems like it

what are the purebreds being used for anyway?

The fullbloods are the basis for all these crossbreds you guys go crazy about. The chianina has a very real place in crossbreeding programs of any type, and for that you require the fullblood breeders.

i hope not for feedlot beef because they wouldnt stay in the fence and they seam t have a lean carcass at least from pictures.

being honest crossing maines and angus into them i think gives a better look to the breed.....i doesnt give a better look to the ACA for being able to register them

It doesnt give a better look to the breed - because the maine and angus crossed cattle ARENT part of the breed. Its quite simple - they are NOT Chianinas and shouldnt be promoted as such. Do you also think the emergence of 'Black Herefords' gives a better look to the Hereford breed?

Edited for spelling.

Latest posts