Chevy Gasser Towing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
My 5.3 4 spd auto with 3.73 is at 232 K and I am looking at some other options. The K1500 gets everyday use and I tow in season. Mostly with a tandom bumper hitch that handles 10 bales.

I am a little confused about the higher rated towing capacity - - vs. my experience with 5,000# being a load, and more pounds being a 25 to 45 mpm problem.

I am tempted to go with the 6.2 and a 6 spd auto. Any comments on it?

Not specific to Chevy but I think you'll see a big improvement in towing with that 6 speed over the 4 speed auto.

Every gas truck I have ever had got crappy mileage towing. Buy you a nice 1/2 ton to take the wife to town in. Then find you 94-98 12v as a farm truck. You can get in it dirty and if it gets a new dent you dont feel bad lol. They get about 18-20 if you drive them nice.

Find a 250/2500 and you'll be amazed. The springs are a lot heavier and the whole package is more controllable under load. I like big gassers, but I drive low miles.

Its a good set up and very dependable. The 6sp auto has a push button shifter which is really handy. You can put it in 4th or 5th and go. Its the best of both worlds.

Even if you go back to a new 1/2 ton Chevy you will get the same 6sp the 3/4 tons have.

High Cotton":17g9qhdl said:
Every gas truck I have ever had got crappy mileage towing. Buy you a nice 1/2 ton to take the wife to town in. Then find you 94-98 12v as a farm truck. You can get in it dirty and if it gets a new dent you dont feel bad lol. They get about 18-20 if you drive them nice.

That's just the nature of the beast. You want decent mileage when towing you'll have to upgrade to diesel.

Waldershrek":9ijxyuhz said:
High Cotton":9ijxyuhz said:

That's just the nature of the beast. You want decent mileage when towing you'll have to upgrade to diesel. The old 12 valves are pretty much bullet proof though. I got a 24 valve.

john250":2qd7x3mn said:
Find a 250/2500 and you'll be amazed. The springs are a lot heavier and the whole package is more controllable under load. I like big gassers, but I drive low miles.

I did take a quick look at used 3/4 tons. The only "deals" I noticed were on low miles Ford V10 s. :shock: They must suck a lot of gas

They do and aren't that stout. We have about 10 350's and 450's with them. What every you do don't buy a ford with the 6.0l you will regret it.

High Cotton":sx8dajd3 said:
They do and aren't that stout. We have about 10 350's and 450's with them. What every you do don't buy a ford with the 6.0l you will regret it.

Ha ain't that the truth

Waldershrek":1xrz712h said:
Waldershrek":1xrz712h said:
High Cotton":1xrz712h said:

That's just the nature of the beast. You want decent mileage when towing you'll have to upgrade to diesel. The old 12 valves are pretty much bullet proof though. I got a 24 valve.

I have 2 24v's I have a reg cab lwb and a ext cab swb. I'm about to sell the ext cab swb.

Latest posts