Chevy custom

Help Support CattleToday:

SDgrampa

Reaction score
Time for a new pickup. Looking at Chevy 1500 custom trim level. Comes only with 2.7 turbo. Anyone with any experience with this motor. No heavy pulling but will be put to use pulling the boat to the lake

"Borrowed" this from another site...
Kevin
JANUARY 29, 2021 AT 10:16 AM
When you transmission has more gears it makes the engine do less work. If having more gears wasn't a good thing no over the road class 8 truck would have more than 3 or 4 gears… that is not the case. Compare any current model truck with a previous model that had fewer gears in the transmission. Newer models get better mpg because engine is doing less work.
The 2.7 Turbo 4 has a stroke longer then even the heavy duty 6.6 l gas engine. It produces torque lower in the RPM range and more efficiently because of turbocharging and variable valve timing.
Compare it to a 5.3 with a 4 speed automatic from late nineties. The 2.7 will out accelerate it and probably out tow it. I believe the horsepower and torque ratings on the 5.3 back then was less than what the 2.7 is now.
As far as durability, it'll probably last until we go all electric anyway.
The engine choice was limited to custom trim only not LT and above.

"Borrowed" this from another site...
Kevin
JANUARY 29, 2021 AT 10:16 AM
When you transmission has more gears it makes the engine do less work. If having more gears wasn't a good thing no over the road class 8 truck would have more than 3 or 4 gears… that is not the case. Compare any current model truck with a previous model that had fewer gears in the transmission. Newer models get better mpg because engine is doing less work.
The 2.7 Turbo 4 has a stroke longer then even the heavy duty 6.6 l gas engine. It produces torque lower in the RPM range and more efficiently because of turbocharging and variable valve timing.
Compare it to a 5.3 with a 4 speed automatic from late nineties. The 2.7 will out accelerate it and probably out tow it. I believe the horsepower and torque ratings on the 5.3 back then was less than what the 2.7 is now.
As far as durability, it'll probably last until we go all electric anyway.
The engine choice was limited to custom trim only not LT and above.

It is not really doing less work, just kept in the RPM range where it is most efficient. Heavy duty trucks have a very narrow power band, thus many gears to keep the engine from lugging or over revving.

I am still of the opinion that a V8 is the way to go for full size trucks. A 4 cylinder is going to be under much more stress than the comparable V8 while producing the same amount of power, so durability is going to suffer.

Time for a new pickup. Looking at Chevy 1500 custom trim level. Comes only with 2.7 turbo. Anyone with any experience with this motor. No heavy pulling but will be put to use pulling the boat to the lake

Sounds real nice they get like 30 mpg. What color are you getting? Should pull like a half ton.
Wish I had nothing to do but worries about buying a new truck and going to the lake. Bahahahahahaha! Just kidding!!! I'd be bored. Hey enjoy if that's what's what you enjoy.

Latest posts