cherokee canyon daughters

Help Support CattleToday:

goodbeef

Reaction score
I kept a half dozen c.c heifers that i will be breeding in May. I really like them, but after hearing so many people rip on them for thier calving difficulties, i'm wondering if they may not turn out to be as good of cows as i was hoping for. I'm going to keep them and find out, so a year from now i might have more to say on the subject. My question for all your professional opinions would it be better to go with a calving ease angus bull, or a calving ease red angus bull. I'm already going to use Analyst on the rest of the heifers. My thought process is that a low birth wt. red angus bull would offer a more line bred genetic package, possibly limiting the larger calves that do pop up when cross breeding. However the black angus have a larger genetic pool, and are known for their lighter birth wts. In my opinion, those of you that think red and black angus are the same breed, and there is no hybrid vigor when you cross them are mistaken. The degree of seperation may not be as much as a Charlais, but there is enough that there is measurable hybrid vigor.

Have them repro checked at yearling and do pelvic measurements. For small born RA calves that gorw well try Above and Beyond from ABS. Out of heifers his calvs ran around 45 pounds and weaned in the high 5s

Ive never had calves that small! Above and Beyond was the bull i was considering for them if i went with red angus. I will say this, i already hate that i'm having to look for ultra calving ease bulls for them. Its ok, for their first calf, but i wont do it again for them after this year. Ive been told after their first calf you dont have to worry, they will calve like anything else, time will tell! I have some Gravity calves coming soon, i'm starting not to be excited about them as i once was. He's not nearly as bad as c.c on the CEM epd though.

I have 4 CC daughters in my Durham Reds some of my Durham Reds. I didn't pull a single calf this year. I know that is a poor pool to draw a statistic from with any accuracy but I wouldn't continue down the road of using calving ease with that line, no matter what the pelvic size. I would think that would be antagonistic if you will.

Just got off the phone with a ABS Rep who has 12 Cherokee Canyon daughters as old as 5yrs, According to him he has never had a calving problem with any of them.

He also emailed me about a new red angus sire that ABS just picked up# 1196965. What a little meatwagon this guy is. If anyone wants to see a picture PM me an email address and I'll forward the picture, it's not on their website yet.

I apologize to anyone who read this before I fixed the spelling.

3waycross":3qdm42k9 said:
Just got off the phone with a ABS Rep who has 12 Cherokee Canyon daughters as old as 5yrs, According to him he has never had a calving problem with any of them.

He also emailed me about a new red angus sire that ABS just picked up# 1196965. What a little meatwagon this guy is. If anyone wants to see a picture PM me an email address and I'll forward the picture, it's not on their website yet.

Take a look at his ancestors EPDs
http://search.redangus.org/animal/1196965

3waycross,

I have seen this bull, and he is a stud!!! I helped out with this bull sale and I was on the phone with an East Coast breeder and he was contending bidder. In fact, if he collects well up front where he doesn't have to live in stud, I (Gill Red Angus) plan to have pasture rights to the bull.(unless something changes between now and then) He is very deep bodied, thick quartered and out of one of the better cow lines in the breed. You need to see the cow family to understand what I mean. I purchased a bull a couple years ago that goes back to the same old NeoSho cow. She is 16 years old and raised a calf last year, and will again this year. Perfect udder structure on this line and lots of body in a moderate package.

dun":2ny53un6 said:
3waycross":2ny53un6 said:

Take a look at his ancestors EPDs
http://search.redangus.org/animal/1196965

First of all I sure don't think I am great at reading EPD's but I did look at the pedigree and here is what I see being as objective as possible.

A top side that is not friendly for calving ease. But growthy.

A bottom side that probably is better than the top.

A look at the 8 grandparents shows maybe one that was negative for marbling. Interesting

A bull that I probably not put on a heifer any time soon.

Almost every animal there was out of a cow that had a MPPA over 100 some as high as 109 to 112.

This is definately not an INFORMED opinion but what I see is if the complimentary traits (calving ease, birth weight, growth) can balance each other and the common traits (ie. marbling) stay strong. He would probably be something pretty special. Of course having seen a picture of him, I already think he's a Stud. BRG is right he's a heckofa package, rolled up in cowhide

One thing to remember is I was looking for the good or the possibility for good. I have no doubt if you want to find bad it's there.

My opinion asked for and given, and if history is any indicator , probably wrong!!!!!!!

Latest posts