Charolais Programs

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle":30ioo2cs said:
Does The Charolais Bree Have A Program Like CAB?

The American-International Charolais Association and Charolais GeneNet announce the first Charolais-influenced carcass merit formula. Charolais GeneNet established a marketing grid with ConAgra Beef Co., which is one of the first grids to offer an upper 2/3 Choice premium for non-black hided cattle. However, cattle must meet the 50 percent Charolais requirement.

Besides opening the communication flow between segments, producers will receive selection and management information as well as marketing recommendations for future calf crops. Individual carcass and feedlot information will also be obtained.

For more information, contact Ken Conway with Charolais GeneNet at (785) 628-3004 or [email protected].

Frankie":zbfaqk20 said:
So is that a no? Wasn't Future Beef supposed to be a Charloais based program?

Not to my knowlege. Doc Henderson wouldn't have gone for that.

Where would you have gotten that idea?

Actually FBO was an Angus based program.

Frankie? Are you there?

MikeC":3ct41m4i said:
Frankie":3ct41m4i said:

Frankie? Are you there?

Helloooooooo!!!!!

MikeC":3vmpj7wp said:
Frankie":3vmpj7wp said:

Frankie? Are you there?

Are you absolutely sure? I thought early on that I saw an article stating that the Charloais Assn and FB had signed a contract to produce beef for Safeway. Guess I was mistaken. I always wondered how it wound up as an Angus program.

Frankie":3qokdsps said:
MikeC":3qokdsps said:
Frankie":3qokdsps said:

Frankie? Are you there?

Are you absolutely sure? I thought early on that I saw an article stating that the Charloais Assn and FB had signed a contract to produce beef for Safeway. Guess I was mistaken. I always wondered how it wound up as an Angus program.

They did have a program to guide cooperators towards certain Char breeders but the Assoc was only involved in identifying certain characteristics.

My neighbor, Doc, (Twin Valley)was Pres of FBO. Angus X cows were always the preference. Crossbreeding was the intent, but it never got that far.

Safeway was an investor and buyer both.

Bad timing and downward pressure from the oligopolistic competitors brought the house down.

MikeC":21lcg6rr said:
Frankie":21lcg6rr said:
MikeC":21lcg6rr said:
Frankie":21lcg6rr said:

Frankie? Are you there?

They did have a program to guide cooperators towards certain Char breeders but the Assoc was only involved in identifying certain characteristics.

My neighbor, Doc, (Twin Valley)was Pres of FBO. Angus X cows were always the preference. Crossbreeding was the intent, but it never got that far.

Bad timing and downward pressure from the oligopolistic competitors brought the house down.

So I wasn't completely off my rocker about the Char Assn being involved somehow.

I hated to see it go under. It may be a long time before someone jumps in and trys it again.

Frankie":k4oz9nt5 said:
MikeC":k4oz9nt5 said:
MikeC":k4oz9nt5 said:

Frankie? Are you there?

So I wasn't completely off my rocker about the Char Assn being involved somehow.

I hated to see it go under. It may be a long time before someone jumps in and trys it again.

Yea, there were several rumors such as yours floating around.

FBO involved most if not all breeds. The target was a high volume of mainly "high select", but tender beef for the masses at Safeway and was the model for Tyson's program with Wal-Mart now.

Safeway was to offer a higher end beef too, but figured by the two laying side by side in the meat case, the lesser price would prevail in sales volume and get customers in the door. Their experience told them that shoppers would go for the leaner cuts, especially if it was a few cents less.

Too much fat and marbling turns a lot of shoppers away from beef over pork and chicken.

We were involved with the Future Beef through Twin Valley but we came in very late in the program. We bought an Angus Bull and about 30 bred heifers(Angus X). The heifers calved that February without a problem. The calves were not spectacular. Twin Valley picked up the calves in Oct. and that was the end of our affiliation with the program. We used the Twin Valley bull until last year. He produced some decent calves but most of them had funnel butts. We still have most of the cows. About 20 of them came from the Northwest and it took at least 2 years for them to acclimate to South Alabama.

Latest posts