Charolais bull

Help Support CattleToday:

cajunman

Reaction score
I have young reg. Char. bull that I will breeding with herefore cross cows that are good mommas. I would like to keep a few young hefier's. Will they have any problem with the Char. bull at cavling ? He was 76 lbs at b/w his sire 80 and dam 78. Most of my mommas young calves or 65 to 70 lbs. Also what would be a good breed to replace with to breed with Char. I can get reg. Red Angus from a good friend ?

Depends on the individual animals, particularly the heifers. Are they properly grown out and conditioned? Do they have good pelvic structure/measurements?

They are new born calves born in Jan. 2008. Breeding next spring. Bull will be ready in Nov.

cajunman":39ry2mpz said:
I have young reg. Char. bull that I will breeding with herefore cross cows that are good mommas. I would like to keep a few young hefier's. Will they have any problem with the Char. bull at cavling ? He was 76 lbs at b/w his sire 80 and dam 78. Most of my mommas young calves or 65 to 70 lbs. Also what would be a good breed to replace with to breed with Char. I can get reg. Red Angus from a good friend ?

Does he have EPDs?

I think there are many things to take into consideration. You should start with the bull himself and the heifers he'll be used on. Like dun said, make sure you grow your heifers out so that they can physically handle the bull and are at an appropriate weight for breeding. Then look at the bull and see how he develops in his shoulder structure, etc. Either way it is I would still be very cautious using an unproven bull on heifers unless there were better information available. Good luck.

If the bull had an actual bw of 76#, he should be okay. We use a bull that has a high bw epd for the charolais breed and he throughs mid 70's and low 80's all day long. I wouldn't be scared to use him on heifers as long as they are big enough to hold him up.

We used Charolais on mixed heifers one year and there were more problems than with a Red Angus, Hereford or Saler on average. These were not really high BW Charolais either. We liked our Red Angus heifer bull because there was nothing to get stuck. BUT if they are big heifers and if the bull is smooth you will probably be OK. BW is not the be all and end all. It is a good thing to know but I have seen heifers have 98 pound calves with no problems and pulled at 79 pounds because shape counts for more than size unless you are dealing with a really tiny pelvis. Check his calving ease score and have a really good look at his head size, shoulder size and hip size. If he's registered you could even call back the person you bought him from and ask about his bloodlines.
The next question is are you around all day or do you work off the farm. If you work off the farm I suggest you go out and get the Red Angus if he has a low BW EPD and a high CE EPD and looks smooth. Save the Charolais until you see how the cows handle him.

Latest posts