Charolais Bull, What do you think

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty":ekvc81o8 said:
Guys, I have this bull #6009, he is a 9/11/06 calf, pictured on 2/22/2007, his performance numbers are this BW/ratio 79/95 WW/ratio 931/135.7. He is out of a first calf heifer, I am not a photographer and these pictures don't show his mass, and true thickness.

His EPD's BW/WW/YW/M/TM and are as followed: 0.1 / 55 / 85 / 8 / 35 He is in the top 1% for Weaning Weight, Yearling Weight and Total Maternal. His Marbling is in the top 3% of the breed and UREA in top 5%.

Every sire in his papered pedigree, I repeat every sire is or has been a Charolais Trait Leader at one time. Every female in his papered pedigree has been a donor cow.

Tell me what you guys think, This is and could be... Well he could be the bomb! Top 5 % of the breed for all carcass traits, Breed Leading EPD's and a bull with proven performance.... Tell me what you think !! I know he his a calf, that is why i am asking...... Hey dusty buy this bull you cant lose with him just look at his frame this is about as good as a herd bull is going to get the only thing I would do is pour a little bit of medicine for lice looks like he may have a small case but thats it I telling you if you dont buy this bull you will slap yourself later

AG_6009_side2_copy.jpg

AG_6009_Side_copy.jpg

AG_6009_Otherside_copy.jpg

AG_6009_Rear_copy.jpg

adjusted weaning weights dont mean a dang thing to me I want ACTUAL 205 day weights.

Good luck finding them. I have never heard of anyone weighing every calf exactly at 205 days. It's not feasible.

The adjustments work fine. Every breed association uses them.

I have never heard anyone complain about adjusted weaning weights. Strange.......................

If everyone weighted their cattle on Actual 205 day weights there would be no ratio's! I take that back, every calf would ratio 100 because he would be in his own group.

Could you imagine someone like Fink Beef Genetics, Leachman, SAV Angus, Cooley Cattle Co measuring every bull they have on it's ACT 205 day weight... You might as well hire a full time weight manager!! :) It's... well unthinkable and just foolish to weight every animal like that... Show me someone that does it.. with a sale of over 50 bulls...

I could be wrong, I just have not heard of that ever!! Tell you what, show me the association, (Name of manager and phone number to contact him) that accepts the ACT 205 and uses it to adjust ratios and EPD's to set breed standards using the ACT 205 day weights!! That would undermine all standards of the EPD and Ratio standards would it not!!

Guys, I am getting a few feed question on PM and here is the program..

All the fall cattle born before Nov 1st will be weaned March 10-15th and then placed on a strict 12% complete distiller pellet with all the hay and corn silage they can eat for about 30 days.. During this time everything is worked twice, branded, bottom 50% of bulls are cut and 1st round of culls are made on females..

Then the bulls and steers will be tested starting April 10th for 112 days of test on a high energy test. Test ending July 31st... Bulls will then be placed on 6 -25 acer brome paddocks and we make them travel for water.. They will have a 37 + SCT measurement, over 1200 lbs and pass all semen tests and be sound footed for sale Oct 1st. and the contract bulls delivered on the following weeks.

This bull i feel doesn't need the advantage of "fatting" him up to see his true genetic potential.. I feel that his performance against the group via ratio comparison will show his potential and help him more by not adding all the additional weight and fat to his body.. (better semen, more athletic) Here in my herd a 2250 pound bull is as large as i want to go.. anything bigger then that could easily be a cow killer!! Especially when i cross him on 1200 wt. Angus commercial females..

Dusty":30nnq0yo said:
This bull i feel doesn't need the advantage of "fatting" him up to see his true genetic potential.. I feel that his performance against the group via ratio comparison will show his potential and help him more by not adding all the additional weight and fat to his body.. (better semen, more athletic) Here in my herd a 2250 pound bull is as large as i want to go.. anything bigger then that could easily be a cow killer!! Especially when i cross him on 1200 wt. Angus commercial females..

I guess I'm confused. Are you saying you won't feed him because he might look too big to be used on 1200 Angus cattle? His genetic potential is just that: genetic. No matter how big he gets, he'll still either be a cow killer or not. I'd agree with blk mule and Brandonm2. Feed that guy and see what he can do.

(BTW, I though it had been decided on this board that there were NO 1200 lb Angus cattle. :lol: )

His REA/CWT will be smaller when you measure him next time.

He'll grow fast enough after weaning to get an idea of his potential.

As long as the group is gaining about 2.5 - 3 pounds per day on the average, the animals are gaining enough to rank correctly for genetic potential. The only thing you give up is bragging rights for maximum yearling weight.

One poster surprised me a bit with a suggestion to feed for higher gains, one didn't surprise me at all.

If your program is built around bragging rights, then feed him hard. If your program is NOT built around braggin rights, then don't feed him as hard.

Badlands

Registered Breeders... Going to throw this one at you... Royal Pedigree, Royal Performance and when you see him in person you love him..

If he was black he would be work 250-400 k at Gardiners.. I am not gardiners.. White as he is, he would be worth 50 -100 k at M6 Charolais in Texas.. I am not M6 !!

What would you do with him ?? Pedigree, performance, EPD's all wrapped up in one package!!

Where to go with him? How would you market him? how much would you let go of him? Tell me what you would do!!

Dusty":1fvomw21 said:
Registered Breeders... Going to throw this one at you... Royal Pedigree, Royal Performance and when you see him in person you love him..

If he was black he would be work 250-400 k at Gardiners.. I am not gardiners.. White as he is, he would be worth 50 -100 k at M6 Charolais in Texas.. I am not M6 !!

What would you do with him ?? Pedigree, performance, EPD's all wrapped up in one package!!

Where to go with him? How would you market him? how much would you let go of him? Tell me what you would do!!

Send him to Midland or some other well known bull test station. Put him up against some of the best performance bulls in the breed. If he does well, someone will be interested in buying him, maybe promoting him. If he doesn't do well.....well, at least you know.

Frankie, why would i send him to a location that will increase the odds of him getting hurt, sickness, with the possibility of him getting blue tongue..... WHY ....

If he gets infected and immune to blue tongue his semen will not be exportable ... if he gets hurt he is done.. if he gets sick he falls behind and then so what..

Sending him to a test like that is like playing the lottery.. fun but a waste of money!!

Next Opinion !!

So what do you have planned for him? Lock him in a padded cell and serve his meals on a silver platter? They're animals, not children.

cfpinz

Well, Here is my idea, he is going to be conditioned untill he is 240 days of age.... Weighted and set up for the carcass ultrasound at 270 days in a private Background facility with 20 other bulls that he is being raised with. After that, if he holds together and fills out right he might attend a show or two..

He will stay a virgin, until at least 12/01 and then i may give him a donor or two to run with for 45 days. A Semen Supply will be obtained before he is exposed to cows..

Canadian Semen rights have been brought up, i have to keep him Blue tongue free and secure the semen partnerships. by the American Royal this fall he "could" be the talk of the barn !! If that happens I am guessing a partner is going to want to use him in 2008

When You Are Talking About Semen Partners Are You Saying Your Gonna Be Selling Interst In Him Or They Come In Just To Make A % Off The Sales That They Sell?

Tell us more about this royal pedigree? Name some names of the sire and dam.

First Carload was 42 females... One got kicked out, and 36 went CAB qualified..... We scanned 15 gate sorted 2 days before we sent the group, Avg REA was 13.23 on heifers and Marb was 4.489 I Will try and get a Mature photo out him... We had a large group of purebreds out of him this year... thick made, tons of guts.. Reminds me of the Gridmakers with more EPD's to back them.. Also the dam has raised 2 more calves spent a year in transplant and has proven superior to some of the best in the breed.

Latest posts