Charolais bull on Beefmaster cross heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Post Oak

Reaction score
Would anyone use a low birth weight Charolais bull on 1/2 and 3/4 Beefmaster heifers ? I have a small herd and have to use the same bull on cows and heifers .

No use a Simm. I have seen and ate the cross, they are awesome, great terminal and replacements are good also. :2cents:

Calveing ease should not be a problem for Beefmasters.

thommoos":3kpnbg96 said:
No use a Simm. I have seen and ate the cross, they are awesome, great terminal and replacements are good also. :2cents:

how did it taste,was it tender?? :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":1ek7nd84 said:
thommoos":1ek7nd84 said:

how did it taste,was it tender?? :cowboy:

She was a c section heifer, biggest Tbones, that I seen. and Tender, I messed up only selling her for $3 a pound. She was as good as a jersey steer. She is the reason why my nest bull might be a Simm/Fleck

Personally, I would not breed a hiefer to a charlois. I have used a charlois as a terminal cross many times, and really like the growth etc. I am cautious of even a charlois hiefer. Even when I breed them to a known low bw bull. It seems like charlois always have big calves for me. I love the cross for growth.

Post Oak":1733zihe said:
Would anyone use a low birth weight Charolais bull on 1/2 and 3/4 Beefmaster heifers ? I have a small herd and have to use the same bull on cows and heifers .
Of course you know what Im gonna say.... Limi bull makes a good cross with those Beefmasters. :cboy:

thommoos":3p5e9od3 said:

What kind of Simmental would you use, a Fleckvieh or one of those black things?
I have Beefmaster cross heifers not fullbloods.

We've used calving ease Chars on Sim cross heifers and that turned out, haven't seen too many beefmasters up here to give solid advice, but I do know that some of our sim cross heifers weren't very large animals at all.
I would suggest using one that has been proven, that you already know how big his progeny are, regardless of what breed you pick.

I'll let ya know how my experience with this cross turns out about the 2nd week of Feb (due Feb 8). Big bull but he's sired about 35 calves and none over 80 lbs, with most 70-75lbs. Never had to pull one of his calves, never lost one (knock on wood) but I do have a calf puller just in case. She's already big as a house.

Post Oak":1ijlb6me said:

what is the other half or 1/4?

i would be a little leery of a Char on heifers. Could you AI the heifers with a lower birth weight bull, and use a Char on the older cows?

As far as the Simm (OP inquired), I would consider a Simm if you plan to potentially keep some heifers from these cows. They are my preference, but that doesn't mean they work for everyone. You asked for info on Char x Beefmaster, so I wasn't planning to mention Simm until I saw you posted a question asking about using Fleck or one of those black things. I would use one of those black things. Limo might work too if you want only terminal. I have never seen BM x Char, but I bet the cross would turn out great.

The guy I got her from was using a red with blaze face, so a Flek, at first glance I thought he was a Beefmaster. he was cross breeding beefmasters and angus cows with that bull. Beefmaster organization is just begininng to tract CE on epds. In 10 years only assisted in 1 out of about 350 births.

Has anyone else had calving issues with Beefmasters? I might have to Look into a Limi cross on Beefmasters myself.

thommoos":2v5m19ws said:

The guy I got her from was using a red with blaze face, so a Flek, at first glance I thought he was a Beefmaster. he was cross breeding beefmasters and angus cows with that bull. Beefmaster organization is just begininng to tract CE on epds. In 10 years only assisted in 1 out of about 350 births.

Has anyone else had calving issues with Beefmasters? I might have to Look into a Limi cross on Beefmasters myself.

I can honestly say when my Dad was raising fullblood Beefmasters he never had a calving issue. Only has issues when he put a Gert bull on them cows. And with a Limi bull, never had any calving issues.

it really depends on the animals, both with the heifer and the bull. i had a few calving issues in the past with beefmasterx heifers and a limousin bull. i had a charolais bull and a limi running with them, and was concerned about the chars come calving time. wound up having to assist a couple of chars and several of the limis. as a general rule i tend to shy away from using charolais on heifers but having said that there are char bulls out there nowadays that i would use without too much hesitation. if i could, i would select for low birthweight and a bull that was not broadheaded and big shouldered. i find that structure of the calf has as much if not more to do with calving difficulty than birthweight. (the limi problems i had were getting hung up at the shoulders or hips). beefmasters tend to gestate pretty good size calves anyway it seems.

Latest posts