Charlie the Oxen

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I am going to visit Charlie Monday. I might have a new pet soon!!

Gerry doen't come with the oxen in case you wonder. :lol:

29v18bp.jpg

Chuckie":3n7df855 said:
I wonder if that ox would still lay there if he didn't have the rope atttched to the ring in his nose?
Yes. I have been around his oxen. The rings are totally unnecessary. Only there because his animals get so much public exposure. They are totally broke to voice commands. These people who think they are dumb are wrong!

Oh, she will. I may keep Charlie separate. Gerry said he would tangle with the bull if he got a change and is unlikely to allow much domination so I worry he might hurt a cow. I am thinking if I do get him that I will saw off the tips of those horns.

BTW, oxen are not a breed of cattle. They are just any breed were size has been selected over time to get an animal that has the draft proportions to work. Charlie has longhorn and Durham in his genes.

Ron,
If you want to get into technicalities, they're a 'working steer' until they're 5 years old, then they become an 'ox'.
I've known of folks training yokes of Dexter steers - not very big, but still able to do some work around a small farm.

Tallest bovine I ever saw was a big old SimmentalXBrownSwiss ox that I had as a patient when I was in vet school back in the '80s - it worked for a FL logging outfit. Bet he was a magnificent creature in prime condition, but looked pretty tough by the time I saw him.

we have a young man around here who has raised a team he named calvin and hobbs.

they have been working lately on the television show Revolution....

he has a nice covered wagon and goes to events and gives wagon rides....the team is wonderfully well trained....he is raising another pair as well now....

pdfangus":tb9iy1k3 said:
we have a young man around here who has raised a team he named calvin and hobbs.

they have been working lately on the television show Revolution....

he has a nice covered wagon and goes to events and gives wagon rides....the team is wonderfully well trained....he is raising another pair as well now....
I always named mine Dick and Jim (my brothers) Didk was to off ox since he was always the better and easier trained then Jim

I drove to one of the most remote area's in Ky I have been in a long time. I visited Gerry Barker and his pets. I saw Charlie. He is a sweet creature but I think arthiritis is going to be a problem for him. What a nice aniaml! Gerry Barker is one of those interesting people you are so happy to have met.

Gerry is near Edmonton, Ky. That is some backwoods country. I have never had so much trouble finding a place.

Chuckie, depending on who raised him, he would..

all the animals we've kept since I've moved back to the farm are that docile, and most of them will put their head in my lap and sleep.. Sounds like Inyati's are similar

Here's one I sold, pictured at 2 1/2 years old, and is in the freezer now (940 lb hanging weight).. I could ride him, though he wasn't trained much beyond letting me sit on him

And here is my bull calf... sleeping

I think we are similiar in showing affection to our cattle. But I am beginning to hear stories around here of a few other folks who do also. The guy with the oxen certainly has a close relationship with his cattle, pigs, dog, etc. The picture of the one sleeping in your lap is the ultimate. :D

Well the problem is that when we get too close to food animals, it can create emotional problems and skewed thinking....
I have a very different relationship with my horses and dogs than I do with the cattle...
I enjoy the cattle and have had many pets in our herd but I still have to remind myslef of their role and my role....
If we lived in another part of the world we might have different relationships with the dogs and cats as well...
Saw an old movie about a ship wreck a few weeks ago....one lifeboat and thirty or forty people and a dog....
about half the people were in the water hanging on ot the boat and the dog was in the boat...
people were fighting about it.....
guy in charge says the dog stays......
worse comes to worse he is the only one we can eat.....

Latest posts