Charging Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboyup216":1ordip6a said:
Exactly why you shouldnt raise limos for that very reason right there. Everyone I have ever seen was a man killer. I realize this is a broad and somewhat biased statement but it has been my experience and i am sticking to it.

I have raised lims and a good portion of my herd are lim crosses and I have never noted any excessive agressiveness.
I started as a beginner with 12 red lim heifers - absolutely no trouble with temperment.

Let's not make this a breed thing - NSPCG has a bad apple. Plain and simple. Given the amont of experience the owners have that cow is a time bomb.

Once a few calving seasons have passed you will see how correct the advice given in here was NSPCG. It needn't be a test of nerves to walk your pastures or assist at calving if you manage correctly, and use good judgement.

ALX

There are quiet, docile cows that won't try to kill you, regardless if they have a calf or not. I don't think it has anything to do with if they were bottle raised or not either. I've got bottle raised females in my herd, and ex show heifers, and none of them has ever threatened me, with or without a calf. It's going to boil down to temperment, and how they react to how they are handled.

As most of you know, most of my cows can be scratched. (Sorry Caustic) But I'm the first one to cull for disposition. I don't care how good her calf is. When I sell calves off the farm, I always get comments about how quiet my cows are, and how enjoyable it is to be around them. If that's important to you as a producer, then make it a priority when you cull.

Beefy":z3hv12q8 said:
well the first thing i would do is take away her credit card. Next, i'd send her to the spa for a cooldown.

Wondered who would be the first to make the credit card comment. I was afraid it was going to have to be me

We had this older Brahman cow, who would charge if any of the cows/heifers had calves on the ground. We knew to give her a wide berth. We also had packs of wild dogs and coyotes, and once we had her we never lost a calf to either.

Although I agree that one should be careful around any large animal, I wouldnt haul them off just for that. I have been stepped on, kicked and chased up a fence and for one exception we have normally been at fault. Sometimes it is just instinct or they dont realize their own strength.

I say if she is pumping out quality calves and making you money, I would hold on to her. But I would be extremely careful.

In defense of the husband, it not his decision nor the wife's when to cull a cow. That decision rests with old man known as father who actually owns the cow. As long as she is able to spit out a calf every year, she will have a home.

BrianL":mqnrohoi said:
In defense of the husband, it not his decision nor the wife's when to cull a cow. That decision rests with old man known as father who actually owns the cow. As long as she is able to spit out a calf every year, she will have a home.

Cheaper to keep a good cow than a bad one and all the liablities that go with her.
Also a lot cheaper to sell the crazy than to pay for one kids funeral that happens to get in the pasture.

cowboyup216":2tvrqi9h said:
Exactly why you shouldnt raise limos for that very reason right there. Everyone I have ever seen was a man killer. I realize this is a broad and somewhat biased statement but it has been my experience and i am sticking to it.

Funny that . . . either I'm invincible or I've been dead for three years - you'd think I would have noticed by now

Keren":1ffzn4el said:
cowboyup216":1ffzn4el said:

Funny that . . . either I'm invincible or I've been dead for three years - you'd think I would have noticed by now

Maybe you've just been too busy to notice? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sticks are for cows that want to stop just like locks are for honest people. A stick isn't going to stop a cow that really wants to charge. Seen it and just happy to make it out of that situation still kicking and screaming. Aggressive cows toward people aren't worth the grass and water they consume because maybe 99% of the time you manage to get by without being hurt, but once is all it takes. One little slip up. It is also much worse if there is others involed, especially kids. Raising cattle should be enjoyed and there is no enjoyment from always watching over your shoulder.

Back in the late 60's we had a bunch of Limos. My job was to band or cut the bulls. I did this by throwing them in the field. The calf would bawl and the momma would blow snot in my back pocket. Thats as far as she would go. Course all the other cows would be standing around me in a circle. My dad would be there with a Sledge hammer handle in case one got testy. And if anyones wandering, yes you can kill a cow with a sledge handle. After culling over the years, decendants of those same cows can now be worked with no problems. We'll I guess I shoud add the problems are mine. I can't throw a 300 pounder in the open field like I once could. Much less hold it and cut it too. I use a squeeze chute now. I guess I'm getting soft. There are more things I could do in the late sixties that I can't do now for that matter.

Weaver":29qj2mjj said:
Sticks are for cows that want to stop just like locks are for honest people. A stick isn't going to stop a cow that really wants to charge.

I wondered how long it would be before this very accurate statement came up.

I'd say keep the cow. Dont keep it so much as a pet but if she brings a good calf it would be worth something. Like everyone says if she comes at you get her good with a stick. Keep her with enough other cattle and she may calm down

Weaver":2ssfoiyx said:
Sticks are for cows that want to stop just like locks are for honest people. A stick isn't going to stop a cow that really wants to charge. Seen it and just happy to make it out of that situation still kicking and screaming. Aggressive cows toward people aren't worth the grass and water they consume because maybe 99% of the time you manage to get by without being hurt, but once is all it takes. One little slip up. It is also much worse if there is others involed, especially kids. Raising cattle should be enjoyed and there is no enjoyment from always watching over your shoulder.

Well said.

It's one thing to bluff a cow in to thinking you can control her with a stick; it's quite another to bluff yourself into thinking you actually can control her with a stick.

Most situations come down to your bluff verses the cow's bluff. The difference between your bluff and her bluff is that she can back up her bluff. Anyone who fails to appreciate this fact should seriously consider another line of work.

And as for a cow that charges and actually hits a person, of all the tough culling decisions to be made in raising cattle, this is by far and away the easiest no-brainer cull decision any cattle producer could ever have. There's barely enough profit in the cattle business to keep any cow around; there's sure not enough profit to keep a cow that poses a likelihood of killing you or a family member.

We have beautiful cows that have beautiful calves too. They are easy fleshing, grass fed and calve independently. My 9 year old son can go into the pasture and hunt cow birds with his bb gun and i don't have to stand gaurd. i don't even have to be outside. why would anyone put up with ugly disposition when you can have your cake and eat it too? Get rid of the cow ~ you'll never regret it and you can't say the same for keeping her.

forageconverter":363kxcwy said:
Weaver":363kxcwy said:

Well said.

It's one thing to bluff a cow in to thinking you can control her with a stick; it's quite another to bluff yourself into thinking you actually can control her with a stick.

Most situations come down to your bluff verses the cow's bluff. The difference between your bluff and her bluff is that she can back up her bluff. Anyone who fails to appreciate this fact should seriously consider another line of work.

And as for a cow that charges and actually hits a person, of all the tough culling decisions to be made in raising cattle, this is by far and away the easiest no-brainer cull decision any cattle producer could ever have. There's barely enough profit in the cattle business to keep any cow around; there's sure not enough profit to keep a cow that poses a likelihood of killing you or a family member.

I am not perposing rookies do this but if you know how to handle cattle you can put that cow down or dead with a good axe handle.

TheBullLady":8y6s6rxs said:
There are quiet, docile cows that won't try to kill you, regardless if they have a calf or not. I don't think it has anything to do with if they were bottle raised or not either. I've got bottle raised females in my herd, and ex show heifers, and none of them has ever threatened me, with or without a calf. It's going to boil down to temperment, and how they react to how they are handled.

As most of you know, most of my cows can be scratched. (Sorry Caustic) But I'm the first one to cull for disposition. I don't care how good her calf is. When I sell calves off the farm, I always get comments about how quiet my cows are, and how enjoyable it is to be around them. If that's important to you as a producer, then make it a priority when you cull.

Yeah, I would agree with you. I also believe the "docility" of the animals is not breed dependent but more of an individual thing.

Somewhere back up the line here I saw a comment about a specific breed - Limos', which I disagree with. I run Limo's and don't have a crazy one in the herd - now, because I've tried to cull the crazy ones. Just went through that with the Brammers/Brahmas/Brahman (for all the school teachers) because I thought the disposition was a breed related thing. Come to find out after reading and listening to all the old sages here like CB and a few others that it ain't breed. (not callin' you old, CB)

I could probably scratch their backs and do from time to time but I never turn my back to them and I am always cautious around a new momma cow. Haven't had one of them run at me in several years but they always look me over, beller (is that a word) at me and in general, display a nervous attitude when I'm checking their calves. If a new momma cow is worth her salt she'll be more agressive with that little one at her side than at any other time short of a hot shot up her butt. (I guess that would wiss me off, too.)

Earl Thigpen":juejs1fl said:
TheBullLady":juejs1fl said:

Yeah, I would agree with you. I also believe the "docility" of the animals is not breed dependent but more of an individual thing.

Somewhere back up the line here I saw a comment about a specific breed - Limos', which I disagree with. I run Limo's and don't have a crazy one in the herd - now, because I've tried to cull the crazy ones. Just went through that with the Brammers/Brahmas/Brahman (for all the school teachers) because I thought the disposition was a breed related thing. Come to find out after reading and listening to all the old sages here like CB and a few others that it ain't breed. (not callin' you old, CB)

I could probably scratch their backs and do from time to time but I never turn my back to them and I am always cautious around a new momma cow. Haven't had one of them run at me in several years but they always look me over, beller (is that a word) at me and in general, display a nervous attitude when I'm checking their calves. If a new momma cow is worth her salt she'll be more agressive with that little one at her side than at any other time short of a hot shot up her butt. (I guess that would wiss me off, too.)

Brahman influenced cattle just take a different handling technique to keep them docile. I learned a whole lot about working all breeds of cattle when we started using a Gert bull something like 30 years ago.

dun":phnnxig9 said:
Earl Thigpen":phnnxig9 said:
TheBullLady":phnnxig9 said:

Brahman influenced cattle just take a different handling technique to keep them docile. I learned a whole lot about working all breeds of cattle when we started using a Gert bull something like 30 years ago.
I can walk up to any cow I have even when they have a calf. What I cannot do is walk up to that calf until they are about 2 months old. I assume the cow will have me for lunch. I have had them charge at me in the past but they have always stopped short and shook their heads at me in a very threatening way.
As far as hot shots go, I have had brahman cattle fight them all the more. It just makes a mean as- cow. The only time I have to use one is to get an overly docil cow into a chute.
I guess over all cow are kind of like kids.
Dun you are absolutely correct. I do not beleive there is any more important element when sellecting brahman influenced cattle than being docile. The biggest bonus is that you are more likely to have more tender beef.
This trait is so important to the beef industry that Genestar of Aust. has gone through the trouble of isolateing the gene for it.
Unfortunately they only test for it in Aust. at this time.

Caustic Burno":111xswjc said:
forageconverter":111xswjc said:
Weaver":111xswjc said:

Well said.

I am not perposing rookies do this but if you know how to handle cattle you can put that cow down or dead with a good axe handle.

You might stop a cow that is just bluffing , but if that cow wants to roll you on the ground and stomp on you a little , I don't care if your a rookie or old pro she will get you .
That ax handle just gives you a false sence of security.