Charging Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Well i guess you might be right about that dun ! :roll: But i would still have to give the cow a second look before making a final decession ! 8)

My wife's uncle's father had a pet brama he would ride in fairs and show off how gentle he was. People loved to see the show. He would put children on him and everything. One day the bull turned on him and killed him.

If you want a pet, get a dog. But, if you insist on having pet cows, at least be sure you can outrun everyone else in your family.

Jogeephus":306ceohc said:
If you want a pet, get a dog. But, if you insist on having pet cows, at least be sure you can outrun everyone else in your family.

Jogeephus, I want to use that one for my signature!! That is a good line...

Not-So-Plain-Country Girl":1qkxw9ey said:
Jogeephus,
I have a dog and picture posted on the board of him in the dog section under what a dog would do.....
Don't worry after being sent for a flip, I don't intend on keeping one as a pet.

I think if the truth was known, more people have learned the same lesson you just learned than will admit. I'll admit that I have with the same results you just encountered and its scary. Be safe.

You do have to get rid of that cow. Any cow that charges should go it doesn't matter if they have or have not been patted. You should both thank God that you weren't already killed or hurt. I know you said you would get rid of her but I just want to make sure you do.

I pat my cows too. My personal belief is that it makes them easier to deal with. I also insist on staying the boss in the herd however. If one of them challenges my authority (such as yours did by charging) she is gone no second chances. There isn't a calf in the world worth getting killed over. So far the only cows I have been charged by were not pets.

I grew up around around brahman and brahman influenced cattle. I learned at an early age than when a cow has a calf she will protect it. Today I do not have to cull cattle for the reasons above as. I still know better than to go around their calves. I do not trust any cow with a calf of any breed.

As far as wives go, if you ever got around one of her babbies uninvited you would prefer the brahman.

Don,t get me wrong on this, I have been charged plenty of times. They have always been warning charges. If I had one that I thought would actually hit me she would be gone.
I am with caustic on this, when cows have calves carry a stick.
It is amazeing how fast they gain respect for it. If you turn and run you might as well go get that trailer as you have just taught that cow another lesson.

My experience is you can take a bull whip to her and get her attention to where she won't do that in an open field again. The problem is when you get her confined in a pen she is likely to go nuts and hurt you because she is trapped. I have had several that steer clear on me in the field and charge my butt in the pen and I not as quick and can't jump as high as I used to.

I don't mind mama cow watching me when I check her calf but she had better not charge me or its hi ho, hi ho it's down the road she goes.

Ship her. I wouldn't trust her as far as I can spit.

I've said this many time before as have others here. You can not make a pet out of these animals - period.

Even if they're not trying to hurt you they will and in this case, I suspect the cow had put her calf down somewhere in the area and was simply doing what was natural for her and that was to protect her calf.

Leave her the heck alone while she's got the young'un by her side.

One more time for all you folks who want to curl their eyelashes and trim their toenails, these are 1500-1800 pound animals that WILL hurt you under the right circumstances.

We have a boss cow we call "Popeye" because her eyes are not set deep, they stand out much like a mouse's eye.

She does not allow dogs to enter the pasture and keeps the other cows in line.
She also tries to keep me in line. I always carry a hickory stick walking through the pasture. When she is close, eyeballing me, I walk fast at her and throw something. If she paws, I do the same and charge at her first. Since then she has charged at me (cowardly manner) and I start at her throwing tree limbs. She runs away.

Anytime I am going to walk the pasture, I make sure that I walk toward her to make her move out of my path just as she does the other cows.
She has figured I am the boss cow now, but I will never take my eyes off of her. She has not attempted to chase me since last winter.

She raises a good calf, and most of all, she doesn't allow packs of dogs around the calves. Neighbor's big dogs pack together being bored, and when a calf runs, they chase it and one wants to catch it. Once they catch it, they gang up to kill it.
Then the coyotes come to clean it up. The neighbor's dogs kill for fun, much like chasing cars.

If she were more vicious about running me down, then she would have to go. At this point, I value you her being overly protective to my advantage.
Chuckie

Sell the b&*%ch at the next sale. Better yet haul her a$$ off today and pay the yardage until the next sale. It's not a question of "if" she'll hurt someone but "WHEN".

I have one of those stupid hormonal cows, too. For about two weeks after she calves, she is aggressive. I find it seems to depend on the year. The years when I get too close to her newborn calf right after she's calved, she seems to think I'm a predator and treats me as such for the next two weeks. Other years when I just leave her to it, she's not so bad. Its hard to say in your situation if she's just giving you a warning or she actually wants to do you harm. It can be a bit intimidating. I always carry an axe handle during calving season, but I sort of keep it hidden because I had one cow a few years back who would charge if you weren't carrying the stick but would stay away if you were.(she went down the road) I'd like them to think I've always got my stick even if they can't see it. A bit of cow psychology I guess. It seems to me always that those cows that are like that raise the best calves. That can make it a tough decision to ship her. There is only me that goes out to my pasture and so I choose to walk softly and carry a big stick. If I got rid of every woman who got grumpy with me because her hormones were out of whack, I'm thinking I wouldn't be married long.

The idea that a cattle have to respect you cannot be emphasized strongly enough. I had to learn the idea of the pecking order the hard way. I had to be knocked completely over their feed bunks to learn my lesson. As much as I would like to consider them very tasty pets, my preservation comes first! We are culling three cows this weekend for being too aggresive around us. Every cow will try it all the way down the order until they find where you are in their order. It is best to always be at the top, for everyones safety. Thanks to every one who reminds me on here daily that I have cattle because I love to raise them but more importantly that they are a commodity first.

I respect everyone's opinion that keeps cows that just get hormonal when they have calves but in my opinion if a cow can't tell the difference between me (the one who feeds them) and a dog/stranger/coyote she is too much of an idiot to be anything but hamburger.

Victoria":3o1ymir4 said:
I respect everyone's opinion that keeps cows that just get hormonal when they have calves but in my opinion if a cow can't tell the difference between me (the one who feeds them) and a dog/stranger/coyote she is too much of an idiot to be anything but hamburger.
They are all idiots anyway.

well the first thing i would do is take away her credit card. Next, i'd send her to the spa for a cooldown.

Ryder":2c7jw3ox said:
Victoria":2c7jw3ox said:
They are all idiots anyway.

I do take it that you mean the cows?

I think we should cule her but how do I get my point across?

Tell your husband you will not be helping with the cattle until the witch is dead.
Tell him your children(the older one, too) will not be helping until the witch is dead.
Tell him you value him a lot more than the witch that attacked you and charged him. Ask him what he values more.

If any or all of those don't get your point across, then follow through with the first 2. You can protect yourself and your children, but sometimes you can't fix stupid.

I have a gorgeous Simmental cow that raises the heaviest calf and she is young and going to slaughter this fall. She charges both of us after calving for several weeks even if her calf is no where to be seen. She just puts her head up and comes full bore. Nothing that an axe handle would stop. This is the cow I thought of trying bear spray on. Some of my Gerts are really hot after calving but they get over it in a couple weeks. The ones who are plum quiet right after calving are the ones that have the puny calves in the fall. ( or so it seems ) Isn't it always teh best producers that need a trailer ride for some reason or other?