Charging Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

forageconverter":56bb4914 said:
Weaver":56bb4914 said:
Sticks are for cows that want to stop just like locks are for honest people. A stick isn't going to stop a cow that really wants to charge. Seen it and just happy to make it out of that situation still kicking and screaming. Aggressive cows toward people aren't worth the grass and water they consume because maybe 99% of the time you manage to get by without being hurt, but once is all it takes. One little slip up. It is also much worse if there is others involed, especially kids. Raising cattle should be enjoyed and there is no enjoyment from always watching over your shoulder.

Well said.

It's one thing to bluff a cow in to thinking you can control her with a stick; it's quite another to bluff yourself into thinking you actually can control her with a stick.

Most situations come down to your bluff verses the cow's bluff. The difference between your bluff and her bluff is that she can back up her bluff. Anyone who fails to appreciate this fact should seriously consider another line of work.

And as for a cow that charges and actually hits a person, of all the tough culling decisions to be made in raising cattle, this is by far and away the easiest no-brainer cull decision any cattle producer could ever have. There's barely enough profit in the cattle business to keep any cow around; there's sure not enough profit to keep a cow that poses a likelihood of killing you or a family member.

The last line says it all .

The last agressive cow I had put my wife in the hospital for 5 days and cost me $10,000.

Keren":2cffikf5 said:
cowboyup216":2cffikf5 said:
Exactly why you shouldnt raise limos for that very reason right there. Everyone I have ever seen was a man killer. I realize this is a broad and somewhat biased statement but it has been my experience and i am sticking to it.

Funny that . . . either I'm invincible or I've been dead for three years - you'd think I would have noticed by now

Well, you are startin' to smell a little gamey! :lol: :lol:

WORANCH":24wnyumr said:
Caustic Burno":24wnyumr said:
forageconverter":24wnyumr said:
Weaver":24wnyumr said:
Sticks are for cows that want to stop just like locks are for honest people. A stick isn't going to stop a cow that really wants to charge. Seen it and just happy to make it out of that situation still kicking and screaming. Aggressive cows toward people aren't worth the grass and water they consume because maybe 99% of the time you manage to get by without being hurt, but once is all it takes. One little slip up. It is also much worse if there is others involed, especially kids. Raising cattle should be enjoyed and there is no enjoyment from always watching over your shoulder.

Well said.

It's one thing to bluff a cow in to thinking you can control her with a stick; it's quite another to bluff yourself into thinking you actually can control her with a stick.

Most situations come down to your bluff verses the cow's bluff. The difference between your bluff and her bluff is that she can back up her bluff. Anyone who fails to appreciate this fact should seriously consider another line of work.

And as for a cow that charges and actually hits a person, of all the tough culling decisions to be made in raising cattle, this is by far and away the easiest no-brainer cull decision any cattle producer could ever have. There's barely enough profit in the cattle business to keep any cow around; there's sure not enough profit to keep a cow that poses a likelihood of killing you or a family member.

I am not perposing rookies do this but if you know how to handle cattle you can put that cow down or dead with a good axe handle.

You might stop a cow that is just bluffing , but if that cow wants to roll you on the ground and stomp on you a little , I don't care if your a rookie or old pro she will get you .
That ax handle just gives you a false sence of security.

Apparently you have never truely handled rough stock.

Caustic Burno":1du4xbva said:
WORANCH":1du4xbva said:
Caustic Burno":1du4xbva said:
forageconverter":1du4xbva said:
Weaver":1du4xbva said:

Well said.

I am not perposing rookies do this but if you know how to handle cattle you can put that cow down or dead with a good axe handle.

You might stop a cow that is just bluffing , but if that cow wants to roll you on the ground and stomp on you a little , I don't care if your a rookie or old pro she will get you .

Apparently you have never truely handled rough stock if you think you can stop one with an ax handle.

I have saw a 1200 pound cow killed with one blow from a sledge hammer handle. It was after me, I was on her calf. She fell less than 2 feet from me, kinda shuttered then died. My Dad connected with the stick just below the ear. Yes, he meant to kill her. I have also saw my uncle kill one with a short stick. He tapped her between the eyes. She fell over dead. He also meant to kill her as she was going in the freezer. By stick I ain't talking bout one of them new fangled fiberglass working sticks. Something with some ump to it and yes you can stop a charging cow. I don't want to ever be put in that situation, but being prepaired for it doesn't hurt. Best way to stop one from charging is eat her before she gets the chance.

WORANCH":38k5v54b said:
Caustic Burno":38k5v54b said:
WORANCH":38k5v54b said:
Caustic Burno":38k5v54b said:
forageconverter":38k5v54b said:
Weaver":38k5v54b said:

Well said.

Apparently you have never truely handled rough stock if you think you can stop one with an ax handle.

ROTFLMAO I have some that would make you run and scream like a school girl.

that cow would get her a free ride.you dont need a charging cow.you cant allow a cow to hitt you or any of your family.a cow can an will take you out if you give her a chance.i know a guy thats 6`9 weighs bout 350 to 400lbs had a bull spin round on him.an knock him down an against the corral fence.ithe bull turned to get on him.but his cow dog got between him an the bull.the dog held the bull there so he could get up an get out of the corral.

Just thought I'd put a face on the subject. :D
lucy.jpg

am i the only one that hears that Shania Twain song playing?

I'm gonna getcha, don'tcha worry 'bout that
(Yeah, you can betcha)
You can bet your bottom dollar,in time you're gonna be mine
Just like I should – I'll getcha good

msscamp":1eq64ela said:
Keren":1eq64ela said:
cowboyup216":1eq64ela said:
Exactly why you shouldnt raise limos for that very reason right there. Everyone I have ever seen was a man killer. I realize this is a broad and somewhat biased statement but it has been my experience and i am sticking to it.

Funny that . . . either I'm invincible or I've been dead for three years - you'd think I would have noticed by now

Maybe you've just been too busy to notice? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahh, that must be it. Thank goodness cowboyup216 alerted me to the fact. I do think I might send some condolences to my family. :lol:

Do you think my lecturers will accept the fact that I'm actually dead for an excuse not to do my exam on monday????

Caustic Burno":3nimgdn6 said:
WORANCH":3nimgdn6 said:
WORANCH":3nimgdn6 said:
forageconverter":3nimgdn6 said:
Weaver":3nimgdn6 said:

Well said.

ROTFLMAO I have some that would make you run and scream like a school girl.

As opposed to someone who, in the situation of a charging cow, would choose to stand his ground and out-muscle the cow with a stick in his hand? Now that is ROTFLMAO funny.

If a cow is truly charging a person at full speed, and gets so close to you that she's the length of an axe handle away from you, even if you shot her with a gun at that point in time, what is it that stops her momentum from carrying her 1000lb+ body right into you?

A person who knows how to handle cattle uses a 'kill or be killed' handling method as a last resort, 'too late to do anything else' maneuver; they do not use a 'kill or be killed' handling method as a plan of action, because quite simply, they actually do know how to handle cattle.

I'm not trying to change the minds of those whose minds are made up, but for those that are weighing their options, I would strongly advise viewing a stick as more of a bluff enhancer than as a cure-all for a charging cow.

angie":3ac229kz said:
We have beautiful cows that have beautiful calves too. They are easy fleshing, grass fed and calve independently. My 9 year old son can go into the pasture and hunt cow birds with his bb gun and i don't have to stand gaurd. i don't even have to be outside. why would anyone put up with ugly disposition when you can have your cake and eat it too? Get rid of the cow ~ you'll never regret it and you can't say the same for keeping her.

Wow: You let your kid kill cow birds with his BB gun? Why? Do you make him eat what he kills? I had some nephews with BB guns shooting Robins at our farm. Guess what they had for dinner that night? :)

Suppose that I'm getting to old to be beating up on nasty cows like some folks and darn sure not fast enough to run rough stock...heck I have trouble catching a three day old calf.
We're proud to say that we don't have a mean one on the place...not that we haven't had a few...they just don't stay
very long....if I can't handle the calf without mama getting protective and charging then they get put into a seperate pen until the calf is a couple of weeks old (better $$$ at the sale) then they get to go for a ride.
Good cows are easy to find and there is always someone with nice ones for sale. Even the sale barn runs a few good ones through every week...some of our calmest and best mamas came from the sale ring.
A animal charges a man, the cow finds a new home or ends up in a cold room upside down and naked.
Ship the pair...and don't give it another thought.
And thats my two bits worth....Dave Mc

Susie David":3lw3jko6 said:
Suppose that I'm getting to old to be beating up on nasty cows like some folks and darn sure not fast enough to run rough stock...heck I have trouble catching a three day old calf.

We've got a week old calf that is way more then I want to handle. Anytime you get behind him he kicks, hard.

Keren":2qnssn33 said:
msscamp":2qnssn33 said:
Keren":2qnssn33 said:
cowboyup216":2qnssn33 said:

Maybe you've just been too busy to notice? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahh, that must be it. Thank goodness cowboyup216 alerted me to the fact. I do think I might send some condolences to my family. :lol:

Do you think my lecturers will accept the fact that I'm actually dead for an excuse not to do my exam on monday????

Last time I checked, death was an acceptable excuse for not taking an exam. Just print out this thread and have it delivered to your instructor - that should do the trick. ;-) :lol: :lol:

dun":22jx1x9i said:
Susie David":22jx1x9i said:

We've got a week old calf that is way more then I want to handle. Anytime you get behind him he kicks, hard.

I've noticed that the older I get, the harder the calves seem to kick - but maybe that is a misconception on my part! :lol:

msscamp":39wrlh1o said:
dun":39wrlh1o said:

I've noticed that the older I get, the harder the calves seem to kick - but maybe that is a misconception on my part! :lol:

Well, then I must be having the same misconception. :lol:

Katherine

Latest posts