Charged by my Cows Tonight

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":3g6g0ask said:
Got any neighbors with kids or grandkids? I caught some kids stirring up some cows down the road one day.

Or it could have been a stray dog as previously metioned.

No, we're up on a rise and no kids around. No stray dogs although we do get coyotes once in a while. I did see a stray cat hanging around a few days ago--haven't seen it since.

Caustic Burno":xd2nzdji said:
backhoeboogie":xd2nzdji said:
Got any neighbors with kids or grandkids? I caught some kids stirring up some cows down the road one day.

Or it could have been a stray dog as previously metioned.

Dogs will them worked up quicker than anything.
Get a couple dogs running loose nothing more fun than harass cows.
If something didn't have them worked up you are a stranger to your cows.
I routinely walk through mine at night hunting or going to and from the deer stand.
I am talking to them when I see them and they never even get up.

I hear ya, but we are in an isolated location (and the pasture they're on near the house) so I know no stray dogs were around. I spend a fair amount of time with them and they usually pay me no heed. Many won't even bother to get up when I walk close by. The one that led the charge was the calmest one we have--will stand and let you scratch her head, eat a bit of hay from your hand, etc. And with her first calf last year, was not a bit snotty or aggressive. The whole thing is quite weird...

boondocks":1ziljzaw said:
So, for the first time in 3 years, I am seriously questioning what I've gotten myself into. I've enjoyed getting my feet (and everything else) wet, and we've labored mightily to get fences up, chute and headgate in, AI done, vaccines, etc etc. Delivered 4 calves last summer w/ no issue; dealt with the nastiest winter ever (with frozen water and the attendant issues) and I haven't had second thoughts.

But TONIGHT...went out to check cows (Angus) just before dusk. We turned them out on Sat. onto pasture. This eve spouse and I went in to see how they were doing (have checked them from the fence Sun and Mon but wanted a closer look). We had only been in the pasture a minute when I sensed that they were in a squirrelly mood (sometimes you can just tell, right?). Well, a couple of them decided to charge us big-time, out of nowhere. We weren't even particularly close to them. We stood our ground and yelled "stop" (think I held up my big stick). The big one put her head down, and swung it from side to side, snorting. (I should say, this is one of our calm/friendliest cows). We started to back away. We went a few yards (not running, just heading back toward the gate). The big one, now joined by another big one, charged again, together. They got within a few yards before they stopped (we had yelled loud/deep and I definitely was ready with my stick). At that point, we thought it best to get out and did so. Most of the whole herd of 15 commenced to follow us to the gate (not charging but definitely assertively).The 2 big ones then commenced to buck each other's heads, which we've never seen them do--usually they get along fine. I should say that neither of these 2 have really been the "head cow." Head cow is a third cow, who did not charge us.

Spouse had on red pants. Dumb question but does that have an effect? Other facts: they are due in 7-8 wks. Condition/health is fine. They were vaccinated by vet on Sat and they were all checked out.
Can't figure out why they would do that. I am going out tomorrow to get a hotshot. I always carry a big stick and my cell.

We have tried to spend a bit of time in the pastures so they're used to us; we don't try to make them into pets, just acclimate them to us. We weren't carrying feed or anything.
Thought on causation? Advice going forward? I am still quite shaken up. With the second charge, I really didn't think she was stopping. Both the 2 big ones are 4 yrs old and go close to 2000#, so it wasn't gonna be pretty...

I suspect that is the problem. They were thinking that it was time to move to new pastures again. They catch on pretty quick. It is also Spring and at time of the year I usually have a little more giddy up in my step too.

early evening they will be feeling their oats. lots look like they are charging but are just running up to a few feet of you. sure scares you sometimes & yes some do hate red. went to a farm once with my son to get some cows & they had a black bull, my grandson had a red shirt on & that bull was after him constantly. he could not get near the fence. all your bull fighters use a red cape

I don't know if this will help but I ALWAYS talk to my cows. There are times when I go out to check em and they seem a little wired. That's definitely a sign that I need to talk to them and calm them down.

Having said that if one or more does chest up on me I NEVER run or back off without winning the confrontation.

Carry a good long club and if you do get charged stand your ground until the last second then sidestep and put her lights out with the club. You cannot outrun them so you better be willing and able to win the fight. If you get charged remember the biggest weak spot is her eye and you need to put it out if you wanna live.

I know my cattle don't like a duster at all for some reason.
I have rolled more than one with an axe handle right behind the ear in
my younger days. I have also got laid out cold more than once.
Now I tote a 45 ACP at all times.
I am to old to out maneuver one in open pasture. If it comes down to it the cow has to go.
Just have a lot of hamburger.
Had a Hereford bull that lost it and fought the tractor thought he was going to turn it over.
He went to the salebarn the next day.

jerry27150":1g6s0dbl said:
early evening they will be feeling their oats. lots look like they are charging but are just running up to a few feet of you. sure scares you sometimes & yes some do hate red. went to a farm once with my son to get some cows & they had a black bull, my grandson had a red shirt on & that bull was after him constantly. he could not get near the fence. all your bull fighters use a red cape

I agree that they were just feeling real good and the new pasture has helped them feel that way. If they really wanted to get you they would not have stopped. And the butting heads just happens sometimes. The better they feel the more things happen.

Ive had many experiences with "playful" animals. Maybe that's what you have, maybe not. I have a Hereford bull right now that will blow snot, shake his head and snort every time I come into the corral. I don't think he is mean, he just wants some cake. BUT,...it doesn't make it any less dangerous. My favorite weapon is a sorting paddle across the face. Also, two sorting paddles smacked together make a lot of noise, most the time I can get one to turn around by smacking them together if they are starting to challenge me in a corral situation.

I have been around cattle all my life, 32 years as a dairyman. Cattle, horses, or your house dog must know your the boss! I disagree with standing your ground, swing your club and move toward them. Even when you have a pet make sure it understands your the boss even if you have to get a little ruff. A simple change in barometric pressure or wind can cause a big personality change in livestock or school kids. A cows eye is much different than ours and they are color blind. As a prey animal their eye is much keener at detecting morin than ours. When you have a Troy dangerous animal, not just a protective momma, a transfer of ownership to McDonalds is in order as soon as possible! While it's nice to be buddies with them your body language must always be saying, I'm boss around here and don't forget it! Mel

I agree with 3way, I walk around my cattle and talk to them just so they know my voice. I also call them when it's time to move them to new pasture. Last year I had a young angus bull breeding my cows, he would get a little squirrly, and spin around and face me while I was in the pasture checking the herd. I gave him extra room and alway had an eye on him, I don't think I would of held my ground if he came at me looking like he meant business. He grew wheels fairly fast.

The only time I'm on edge around my herd is walking pasture during calving season during the middle of the night, day time all is fine. I'm walking around at a time I never do with a bright flashlight shining it on them. I know they don't know who or what I am so I'm talking a lot, but I have had some come running toward me and I can't see as well as if it was day light. I little nerve racking at times until they all realize it's me and calm down.

Just my rattling.

Cows are red/green colorblind... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle#Sight. Bulls get excited at stuff that waves around.. Mythbusters did a whole show on cattle once, they'd charge at any waving flag.

They also busted the "bull in a china shop" saying... the bulls were remarkably agile going through the aisles of the china shop and only broke a few things!

I wasn't there, so it's hard for me to say if they were just excited and playful or mad. I have a yearling heifer who LOVES to play, she'll come barreling at me and hit the binders at the last second, then rub on my leg, If I didn't know her, I'd run, and I know she'd just find that much more fun and continue the chase. I had one BIG cow (about 1800 lbs, give or take) come after the hay truck when they suddenly realized I wasn't going to feed them in their usual spot, but in a different field... Well.. She came down the hill at about 30 MPH and when she hit the brakes on the wet grass she sure made some skid marks.. wouldn't want to be in her way.

I always talk to my cows and they know me very well, they can tell who it is from a LONG ways off... Heck they Moo when they hear my truck about 4 miles away

Thanks for all of the very helpful thoughts. I agree with the advice to stand your ground or even move towards them. We did holler, take a step forward and I waved my stick. I know that they have to see us as boss, and that's why I've tried not to make them into pets. (They've assisted in that regard, by not being particularly cuddly). I think it probably did have to do with the change to fresh pasture, a time of day they're not that used to seeing us, plus maybe a bit of third-trimester hormones...The pasture they're on is also a bit smaller than they're used to...don't know if that can get them antsy. [I know some people even do "crowd (mob)-grazing", though...].

Determined not to be cowed (see what I did there?), we went back out this evening, but earlier. We did not get too close, just hung out and watched, talked...One of the big ones watched us very closely; the rest took notice we were there, then went back to grazing. We took a pipe this time too--thanks for the tip.

I had gotten to where I was walking among them by myself nearly every day--cautious/alert, but casual; talking to them, or singing or humming a bit. I hope to work back into that but may take a while...I won't have them go wild, so I will need to overcome my jitters or there will be a major barbeque....y'all are invited if it goes that way! ;-)

branguscowgirl":3sz3y2xb said:
I agree with everyone about "something probably bothering them."
But just something else to think on, cows with Anaplasmosis can show aggression..........

Anaplasmosis is a good call.

We had a 'normal' cow a guy wanted to breed to our Aubrac bull try to run my wife over last summer. We ate her. She was tasty.

Shortly after this, we lost a heifer another guy had with us who he wanted to breed to the same bull ... cause of death = anaplasmosis. The one that died was acting very strangely the week or two leading up to the arrival of the grim reaper ...

So, not sure if the first one had anaplasmosis (like the second one did), but we wouldn't be surprised to find out that that was the case.

Anyhow ... good call, BCG.

Also, if you need to whack them in the head, go for the end of the nose before you go for 'between the eyes'.

Another thing I do some times when I'm out with the cows ... I'll take a leak while making eye contact with as many of them as I can. A little dominant behavior can't hurt, right?

And, another thing you can do is just sit out there with them for an hour or two a couple of times a month. Bring a book. Or a few cans/bottles of your favorite beverage. Whatever. You don't need to be doing anything ... just be out there with them.

Nesikep":28r3hes0 said:
Cows are red/green colorblind... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle#Sight. Bulls get excited at stuff that waves around.. Mythbusters did a whole show on cattle once, they'd charge at any waving flag.

They also busted the "bull in a china shop" saying... the bulls were remarkably agile going through the aisles of the china shop and only broke a few things!

I wasn't there, so it's hard for me to say if they were just excited and playful or mad. I have a yearling heifer who LOVES to play, she'll come barreling at me and hit the binders at the last second, then rub on my leg, If I didn't know her, I'd run, and I know she'd just find that much more fun and continue the chase. I had one BIG cow (about 1800 lbs, give or take) come after the hay truck when they suddenly realized I wasn't going to feed them in their usual spot, but in a different field... Well.. She came down the hill at about 30 MPH and when she hit the brakes on the wet grass she sure made some skid marks.. wouldn't want to be in her way.

I always talk to my cows and they know me very well, they can tell who it is from a LONG ways off... Heck they Moo when they hear my truck about 4 miles away

First: Anaplasmosis is uncommon up north!!!

Nes, That is interesting. I have another pet heifer. You have seen Star. She is friendly but Star is more arrogant. I.E., Star has spots she does not want touched. Her teats are off limits. She mainly wants her tail scratched. She is more reserved. Melaina, in contrast, is like your heifer. She revels in being touched anywhere. Comes running when she sees me. Loves to lean her head against the side of my hip and leg. You can touch her anywhere. She is like a dog that loves being petted. Her Dam is a registered Hudson Pine/Rocking P product. Her Sire was my talking registered Angus, Casper who now has long been someone's dinner. I can see the shape of Casper's head in Melaina. BTW: She lost her tassel this winter.
205csvo.jpg

29w4l60.jpg

boondocks":ixvz4wdn said:
Thanks for all of the very helpful thoughts. I agree with the advice to stand your ground or even move towards them. We did holler, take a step forward and I waved my stick. I know that they have to see us as boss, and that's why I've tried not to make them into pets. (They've assisted in that regard, by not being particularly cuddly). I think it probably did have to do with the change to fresh pasture, a time of day they're not that used to seeing us, plus maybe a bit of third-trimester hormones...The pasture they're on is also a bit smaller than they're used to...don't know if that can get them antsy. [I know some people even do "crowd (mob)-grazing", though...].

Determined not to be cowed (see what I did there?), we went back out this evening, but earlier. We did not get too close, just hung out and watched, talked...One of the big ones watched us very closely; the rest took notice we were there, then went back to grazing. We took a pipe this time too--thanks for the tip.

I had gotten to where I was walking among them by myself nearly every day--cautious/alert, but casual; talking to them, or singing or humming a bit. I hope to work back into that but may take a while...I won't have them go wild, so I will need to overcome my jitters or there will be a major barbeque....y'all are invited if it goes that way! ;-)

Walk with confidence, as they can sense fear, ie jitters.

Well my cows aren't coming for feed or showing their oats. I'd be willing to bet a stranger couldn't walk across my pasture at night. When the geese try and cross the pasture with their goslings the cows don't like it. Last year they killed 3 goslings and the gander. I'm taking the rtv and calling and talking to them when it's dark.

[
Walk with confidence, as they can sense fear, ie jitters.[/quote]

Yup, I try to do that even if I have to fake it! Sometimes I'll sing loudly and generally just act like it's my pasture and they're lucky to be in it!

We raise Scottish highlands, who tend to be very calm yet very protective. With they're long horns we initially were very cautious, and still are, but have learned what we need to watch for. It was explained to me that the highlands choose a pecking order based on horn length/ability to fight. We were told to be sure to assert yourself with a stick so they understood who was in charge. We didn't beat them, but anytime they got aggressive I rapped their horns with a stick. They quickly backed off and no longer challenge me. I do encourage my wife to keep a stick with her in the pasture just in case. We also carry a brush. Anytime one of them walks up to us we brush them. They have calmed down and are now easy handlers. I still never trust them entirely.

highgrit":1h2pjivs said:
Well my cows aren't coming for feed or showing their oats. I'd be willing to bet a stranger couldn't walk across my pasture at night. When the geese try and cross the pasture with their goslings the cows don't like it. Last year they killed 3 goslings and the gander. I'm taking the rtv and calling and talking to them when it's dark.

I know a stranger better not walk across mine at night.
Heck mine are not coming to the pen in daylight if they smell
a stranger.

Latest posts