Changing pinkeye vaccine?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
There were a lot of problems inour area last year with pinkeye, a strain not normally seen in cattle. Local vets cultured some cases and have had a custom vaccine made to cover it. If I change I will have to booster according to the vet. Thats a extra working. my main question is is how effective are vaccines that have been made like this? Is it worth doing? I would like to avoid pinkeye is at all possible and wonder if it was worth switching from pinkeye shield.

bse

Reaction score
Im gonna use the new pfizer solidbac its a implant with the booster already in it some kind of slow release they say it covers 8 strains where most on the market cover 7 no booster to it so im gonna try it guess by the end of summer ill let you know.

OP
tom4018

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
bse":kt7412y1 said:
Im gonna use the new pfizer solidbac its a implant with the booster already in it some kind of slow release they say it covers 8 strains where most on the market cover 7 no booster to it so im gonna try it guess by the end of summer ill let you know.

I just looked at in on Valley Vet, not much info on it but it only covers the bovine strain.

OP
tom4018

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
tncattle":buc0fr6w said:
Here is something I found, it sounds good:

http://blog.beefmagazine.com/briefingro ... rotection/

I might be getting a group of Hereford feeder calves in about 3 weeks. You think I should use this on them? They will be in the Tn. Hereford feeder calf sale so maybe they have already been vaccinated for it? :???:
That is the same thing bse is talking about but is not effective on the Moraxella ovis that was seen in cattle in this area last year.

Latest posts