Changing fuel pump on chevy pickup

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred

Reaction score
I need to change the fuel pump on a 2000 chevy truck. Have any of you ever taken the bed off and changed one? How hard of a job is it to do yourself?The dealer wanted $700 to change it.

I heard you can pull the fuel tank off or take the bed off. A guy told me it was easier to just take off the bed.

Why not bypass the in tank fuel pump and install and electric under the hood?

dun

Your dealer will drop the tank and that's how I prefer to do it as well.

It's a crappy job but /shrug, that's why they'll hammer you for $700.

Check your fuel lines and replace them if needed, will save you from having to do it later.

Fred":19irj4iz said:
I need to change the fuel pump on a 2000 chevy truck. Have any of you ever taken the bed off and changed one? How hard of a job is it to do yourself?The dealer wanted $700 to change it.
By all means, raise the bed off the truck. It's much safer and easier than dropping the tank-especially if the tank is nearly full. I did the job on my '96 chevy a few months ago. It took about an hour. I parked it with the bed centered under a rafter in the barn, then used a rope tied to all 4 corners of the bed and picked it up with a come-along fastened to the rafter. Oh, first I took the 8 nuts off that hold the bed onto the frame...takes a little effort to break them loose. There's also the filler neck and a ground wire you have to loosen(about 5 screws in all). Just be sure and clean the crud off the top of the tank before you pull the pump. I recommend you use a new Delco pump, not a cheapie. Why spend $700 if you can do it yourself for about $100??

ironhorse":1agn3513 said:
Fred":1agn3513 said:
By all means, raise the bed off the truck. It's much safer and easier than dropping the tank-especially if the tank is nearly full. I did the job on my '96 chevy a few months ago. It took about an hour. I parked it with the bed centered under a rafter in the barn, then used a rope tied to all 4 corners of the bed and picked it up with a come-along fastened to the rafter. Oh, first I took the 8 nuts off that hold the bed onto the frame...takes a little effort to break them loose. There's also the filler neck and a ground wire you have to loosen(about 5 screws in all). Just be sure and clean the crud off the top of the tank before you pull the pump. I recommend you use a new Delco pump, not a cheapie. Why spend $700 if you can do it yourself for about $100??

I really doubt that he can purchase a pump for $100.00
more like $350.00. But I would take the bed off not take down the tank.JHH

Thanks for the replies. I took my truck to another shop and he pulled off the bed. Cost me $570. Next time I may try to do it myself and save some money.

too late now ---but on my 95 chev I tilted the box like a dump truck-shoved a 2x4 in between the box and the bumper lifted front of the box with front end loader pumps for 95 chevs were about 75.00 canadian but apparently the next year was quite a bit more expensive

carl

Latest posts