Chance of rain tomorrow should i fertilize the ryegrass or not

Help Support CattleToday:

If it's like our forecast of rain the last 3 weeks I'd have to say ... no ... your chance and luck may be better and past results do not predict the future. :)

Leaving the sarcasm behind...putting some out should aid in growing some grazing before spring flush. Really depends on how bad you need it for immediate grazing. For spring grass around here, we usually fertilized it mid to late February. Either grazed it it or baled it.

SimAngHerf said:
5S Cattle said:
I wouldn't put out fertilizer with a 50% rain chance.

Would you mind further explaining your stance on this please?
I pretty much want a sure thing if I'm putting out fertilizer. 50% around here usually dwindles down to nothing or a shower.

SimAngHerf said:
5S Cattle said:
I wouldn't put out fertilizer with a 50% rain chance.

Would you mind further explaining your stance on this please?

We had 40 to 60% chance the last 3 days and got nothing more than a heavy dew....some of us know better than to believe a forecast of rain. :)

Well I'm 100% with y'all on having faith in the weather man. I reckon my thoughts were what is the harm if fertilizer is broadcasted then the shower is missed?

callmefence said:
SimAngHerf said:
Well I'm 100% with y'all on having faith in the weather man. I reckon my thoughts were what is the harm if fertilizer is broadcasted then the shower is missed?

Pretty much no harm at all this time of the year.
I think you and I were on the same page regarding the very low possibility of Urea becoming volatile and that is likely what they were referring too. I was just asking because you never know what someone else may teach you.

callmefence said:
SimAngHerf said:

Well, it was 85F here yesterday..... 🤔

1982vett said:
callmefence said:
SimAngHerf said:

Well, it was 85F here yesterday..... 🤔
Sometimes I wish we had warmer winters for better cool season growth but I dang sure don't want y'alls summers and droughts.

Latest posts