Chain Link Cow Pie Spreader... aka Drag Harrow

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
I really need to spread out a ton of manure but I am not spending $500 for a 4x8 drag harrow.

What I do have is a 6x8 piece of chain link fence.

What have you guys done with the chain link to make it an efficient cow pie (or cow pile, depending) spreader?

Spreading manure will be this implements sole purpose as I have a box blade to do other chores.

The biggest problem is getting it heavy enough that it will actually do something other then just ride over everything. I'm a big fan of old truck tires wired across in multiple rows so that there is plenty of weight.

I know truck tires would work, but then I am stuck with a dozen truck tires setting up in my yard somewhere. I try to keep the place as little Sanford & Son as possible. :lol:

We use the truck tires for a drag. When we are done we put it in the woods, so its out of the way and out of site.

circlew":3esyiqqe said:
We use the truck tires for a drag. When we are done we put it in the woods, so its out of the way and out of site.
I hide mine behind the barn in the tall weeds

dun":1xnew72t said:
circlew":1xnew72t said:
I hide mine behind the barn in the tall weeds

Not worried about the Skeeters carrying stuff off? ;)

I use an old homemade gate with the chain link wired to it with a couple tires on it for good measure. It does a real good job.

we used 2 old metal bedsprings wired together for years till they finally rusted down to nothing. Used tires bolted together now, like others have said, and they work great. 4 heavy 16's in the front row, 3 in the back in the cracks.

I made me a tire drag last year and it was a b**ch to drill the holes in the tires. Those steel belted tires are really tough, i think i messed up a couple drill bits doing it. If you could find some fiber belted tires, it would be a lot easier, but i dont know if they make anything besides steel belted anymore. It did work pretty good though after i got it together.

cowsrus":3k1vembs said:
I made me a tire drag last year and it was a b**ch to drill the holes in the tires. Those steel belted tires are really tough, i think i messed up a couple drill bits doing it. If you could find some fiber belted tires, it would be a lot easier, but i dont know if they make anything besides steel belted anymore. It did work pretty good though after i got it together.
I cut a hole in the tread with a hole saw. That way I can stand them up and they don;t fill with water. Using a good metal bit for attachment holes works fine but it works better if you squirt a little oil (or even spit) on the bit as it's cutting the rubber. Lubricates it and makes cutting rubber a whole lot eaiser and faster

LRTX1":3w4uwnte said:
I use an old homemade gate with the chain link wired to it with a couple tires on it for good measure. It does a real good job.

Seeing this post lit a bulb in my slow to remember brain.

I have a nice heavy wood gate that would be the perfect companion to the chain link. Gonna try that first and then go with tires if that doesn't work out.

Now where we got it I have no idea, but we had an I-beam laying around. A friend cut into 3 pieces and put holes in it to thread the chain through. Works great.

robertwhite":x01anm36 said:
LRTX1":x01anm36 said:

Seeing this post lit a bulb in my slow to remember brain.

I have a nice heavy wood gate that would be the perfect companion to the chain link. Gonna try that first and then go with tires if that doesn't work out.

It should work, I threw the tires on top of it to gain some weight, their just laying on it pretty much.

farmwriter":1eu1ytrp said:
Now where we got it I have no idea, but we had an I-beam laying around. A friend cut into 3 pieces and put holes in it to thread the chain through. Works great.
That what I have also. With 7 tires behind it. 3 in front, 2 in middle, and one on the last row.

Took the old wooden (heavy) gate, put a bunch of screws in it to make sure it was secure and used fencing staples to attach the chain link. Threw a few cinder blocks on top for added weight. Took some chains and attached to the RTV. Gave it a test run in a small pasture and it worked great. I would say that if it can break up and spread 1/2 frozen cow piles, it will do a fantastic job once the piles thaw out. I do not want it to tear up/level dirt, etc, just to spread manure. Sure beats spending $500 on a drag harrow :banana:

Latest posts