Chain Link Cow Pie Spreader... aka Drag Harrow

Help Support CattleToday:

Am I the only person that actually uses a chain harrow. :bang: 12' wide 8' long, used it some yesterday. I guess I have had it for a while, I think I gave $400 for it new, years ago.

kenny thomas":3sdxr6n6 said:
Am I the only person that actually uses a chain harrow. :bang: 12' wide 8' long, used it some yesterday. I guess I have had it for a while, I think I gave $400 for it new, years ago.

Price that sucka' now and you just might catch a coronary. :lol2:

A lot of ways to drag a pasture,, but be sure you have your drag for enough away from you that if it hangs up it does not fly up on the tractor with you. I always think of this when I was a kid a friend of my granpa was killed when a drag caught on a stob then popped loose and hit him in the back of the head. ( Be Safe on the Ranch )

Douglas":3mix4d28 said:
I have a chain drag i use to cover ryegrass in the fall. What can i add to make it cut more without draging dead grass.
Tires

I have even used wooden pallets wired,bolted nailed together,

I now have3 pieces of 4" pipe welded to gether forming a V, i cut holes in them and spaced pieces of rebar in the holes and welded them to make stubs about 1/2" long to break up tuff pieces, kinda of a de thatcher so to speak, if i do not want to de thatch i just flip it over and use it as a smooth drag. i also welded angle iron so that weight cold be added, bales of hay work good and are disposable :D

For those not into welding and don't have an I beam or chain link fence around, the 10 ft 3-point version of this is what I use and it works super for spreading cow pies to avoid the avoidance zones. 3-point is much better for handling than dragged at least in my conditions. dethatches the grass and really helps the sod also. Not cheap but a quality US made product. Lot's of uses. I broadcast seed over my winter sacrifice area after spring cleanup and let the mud dry a bit then drag it with this harrow and get a good stand.

http://www.wingfields.com/index.htm

SRBeef":8nns2wmq said:
For those not into welding and don't have an I beam or chain link fence around, the 10 ft 3-point version of this is what I use and it works super for spreading cow pies to avoid the avoidance zones. 3-point is much better for handling than dragged at least in my conditions. dethatches the grass and really helps the sod also. Not cheap but a quality US made product. Lot's of uses. I broadcast seed over my winter sacrifice area after spring cleanup and let the mud dry a bit then drag it with this harrow and get a good stand.
[/url]

Shallow tillage is a hobby of mine. I usually go with a spring tooth that has a coil spring harrow attached and then follow with a packer, or go with one pass from a Missouri drag. I have been using the Missouri drag Dun recommended - - cattle panels with RR ties on top. It can also level plugged ground if moisture is right, and it busts up lime chunks, but you have to watch it closely on turns.

This chain link design looks better than the ones sold at Fleet Farm. Did you try to compare to the standard coil tooth harrow before going to this chain link style?

I bale grass in wet meadows during the early winter and then can not get a tractor in there for any spring cleanup. How practical/fast are the AT models vs. tractor mounted?

Latest posts