CB/Bryant/Dogs&Cows Hounds

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I wish y'all could be sitting with me right now listening to this chase we turned out 71 dogs on a few deer and there packing together some kinda good . Everyone smiling and having fun making side bets who's dogs will be first behind the deer. Last time to run them till hunting season.

Sky the only dogs you will hear running here are hog dogs. Those days are long gone. Now the woods are full of lease hunters or the weekender that has bought 10 acres and has a deer stand on ever other tree.

kenny thomas":1kxnnggv said:
71 dogs? I turned 3 loose on a bear last night and thought that might be too many.

Most I ever ran was two at a time Kenny.
Favorite deer dog was pointer hound cross they would smoke one about a quarter mile and come right back for another race.
I wasn't hunting dogs I was hunting deer.

Caustic Burno":393rhkkk said:
kenny thomas":393rhkkk said:
71 dogs? I turned 3 loose on a bear last night and thought that might be too many.

Most I ever ran was two at a time Kenny.
Favorite deer dog was pointer hound cross they would smoke one about a quarter mile and come right back for another race.
I wasn't hunting dogs I was hunting deer.
I can't say its wrong because i have never ran deer with dogs but i could see why a landowner would fuss if that bunch of dogs came through a pasture. We have over 12, 000 leased and last night the dogs ran a bear off the lease. It was also out of the state. How would you keep that many dogs where,they are suppose to be.

Yea here a fog running 1/4 mile gets canned quick unless a rabbit beagle. I turned all of my dogs out '27' others turned some or all of there's out. When we do drives 30-40 are usually turned out each drive. When we do deer dog field trials we turn 300-400 out at once. The dogs will often go to another county or pretty far. There isn't really alot of pastures here for them to be in. When we use to run deer beagles they didn't go nearly as far as a walker.

Kingfisher":2smu9zdf said:
So what's the point of running these dogs a week before the season?

Bow season starts next Saturday we won't run them anymore till 3rd week of November when we can hunt with them. It's just being curtius to everyone who still hunts including myself

kenny thomas":iil9lip3 said:

Didn't know you were a bear hunter KT. Did you get him treed? 12,000ac sounds like a lot of land to somebody who hasn't ever bear hunted, but when they don't feel like treeing they will cross that in a hurry. Bear hunting on a couple hundred acres if you can't get on the land around it is a waste of time. We generally hunt 3-7 dogs at a time. More than that dogs are running dogs and not the game and the few good dogs are getting screwed up by the run and barkers. Nothing like seeing/hearing good dogs work.

If you ever want to hunt some different scenery look me up KT would be glad to have you along.

SmokinM":13mpgtmu said:
kenny thomas":13mpgtmu said:

Didn't know you were a bear hunter KT. Did you get him treed? 12,000ac sounds like a lot of land to somebody who hasn't ever bear hunted, but when they don't feel like treeing they will cross that in a hurry. Bear hunting on a couple hundred acres if you can't get on the land around it is a waste of time. We generally hunt 3-7 dogs at a time. More than that dogs are running dogs and not the game and the few good dogs are getting screwed up by the run and barkers. Nothing like seeing/hearing good dogs work.

If you ever want to hunt some different scenery look me up KT would be glad to have you along.

Personally I don't have pack dogs every dog of mine will run whatever game it's trained for on its own. When mine run there not chasing each other there competing on who can get to the front closest to the game. It costs just as much to feed a trash dog as a good one trash is cut from my team quick. Here we own and lease alot of land but the hunt clubs we have agreements for going on each other's lands. We turn out alot of dogs so deer don't have time to think and run circles. When they come by you there cutting the wind pretty good the gun better be up.

SmokinM":1d4rz55s said:
kenny thomas":1d4rz55s said:

If you ever want to hunt some different scenery look me up KT would be glad to have you allong.
Wish I could post pictures. We treed one before dark. About 250lb. Then ran another one into an old coal mine hole. The third one we ran several miles and one by one the dogs finally quit. The last dog finally treed on a mine highwall that he couldn't get up over. Crazy where a bear can go. Season opens tomorrow to kill for 3 days but it doesn't interest me to kill them.
SKy, we have 10,000 acres in one block and 1800 in another. Plus some of our members are also members of an adjoining club that adds another 2500 acres. KY state line is our border and many of them go over there and all we can do is go get the dogs. 4000ft elevation on part of it but lots of old mine roads.

kenny thomas":1ueztwd3 said:
SKy, we have 10,000 acres in one block and 1800 in another. Plus some of our members are also members of an adjoining club that adds another 2500 acres. KY state line is our border and many of them go over there and all we can do is go get the dogs. 4000ft elevation on part of it but lots of old mine roads.

Nice we have large blocks we lease as well rarely do dogs go where we can't kill the game. Here you don't need Bear doge there forever walking around the fields I see some every week.

kenny thomas":3ptezwxw said:
Turkeybird":3ptezwxw said:
Is bear good eating?
Not to me, that's why it doesn't interest me to kill one.
Sky, do you see lots of crop damage there. Nothing near this lease for them to bother,

Like most game some love it some don't. I like it ok but none of my family eat it much. You do have to get the fat off that is important. Makes a decent stew or good BBQ that's about the only 2 ways I really like it.

I am with you Kenny, I only carry a gun for o'crap situations. Much rather shoot one with a camera. I really enjoy the dogs and the walking thru the mountains most. It is truly mind boggling where they can and do go and how fast when they take a notion. Also never seen one break a bone and seen them fall 80' and land on rock. Sounds like you had a good chase going there.

They are particularly hard on corn. They like to lay or sit in the middle and pull stalks to them then walk a little ways and do it again making VW sized crop circles. I know watermelon growers near the Dismal Swamp have a heck of a time with them too. They like to sample all of them then eat the best.

kenny thomas":3nuwkd43 said:
Turkeybird":3nuwkd43 said:
Is bear good eating?
Not to me, that's why it doesn't interest me to kill one.
Sky, do you see lots of crop damage there. Nothing near this lease for them to bother,

Yes sir they love corn and they wear my fruit orchard out I rarely get any fruit. They also damage alot of cars too.

Latest posts