Turkeys in ETX... CB

Help Support CattleToday:

Last time they tried this they payed thousands of dollars for those "Eastern Turkeys" out of the deep south but I guess that was the bird that use to be native to the ET area. We have Rio Grande turkeys out here. A shame they won't try some of them. We could catch them several hundred really quick and probably just give them to them.

TexasBred":2hciv292 said:
Last time they tried this they payed thousands of dollars for those "Eastern Turkeys" out of the deep south but I guess that was the bird that use to be native to the ET area. We have Rio Grande turkeys out here. A shame they won't try some of them. We could catch them several hundred really quick and probably just give them to them.

I wish they would try some of the little Osceola.

We have quite a few on our place in jasper county around kirbyville . Also around the farm in newton county. My dad built the turkey research center off of hwy 87 in newton county back in the 90's I believe. I've seen several while deer hunting around the lakes too . I would think with all the fire ants and Cayotes ground nesting birds don't stand a chance. Once they can fly they at least have a fighting chance. I had pictures of turkeys last year in the snow eating corn around my deer feeder . They are neat to watch . I shot one in the hill country / central texas one time on a deer hunt . It won't happen again . Dang thing didn't have much meat and was tough as boot leather .

JSCATTLE":3u5g9g1n said:
We have quite a few on our place in jasper county around kirbyville . Also around the farm in newton county. My dad built the turkey research center off of hwy 87 in newton county back in the 90's I believe. I've seen several while deer hunting around the lakes too . I would think with all the fire ants and Cayotes ground nesting birds don't stand a chance. Once they can fly they at least have a fighting chance. I had pictures of turkeys last year in the snow eating corn around my deer feeder . They are neat to watch . I shot one in the hill country / central texas one time on a deer hunt . It won't happen again . Dang thing didn't have much meat and was tough as boot leather .

They are doing well over in the Bannister WMA I think that one is in San Augustine County, might be Jasper.
I would have to look at the map seen quite a few over there off Hwy 147.
You are right about not being much meat but they sure make for a challenging hunt with a scattergun.
Hill county was the toughest spot I ever hunted. Get to calling and talking to old Tom and another one would backdoor
you without saying a word. When he left he posted your location on facebook.

Im in Brazos county. No Turkeys, no season. I have to think the fire ants and the insane amount of buzzards we have have something to do with it. Lots of coons too which I know play hell with ground nesting birds.

Latest posts