Cattle Worming

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
I have a neighbor that has some of the best looking cows in my area. He doesn't work his cattle, he also doesn't buy cattle to bring on the farm. He swears by worming his cows with soap in their watering trough. Have any of you tried this before? and if so, What kind of soap/amount per gallon would you recommend? I am wanting to try this, wouldn't have even give it a second thought if his cattle didn't look the way they do. Thanks for the time! :cboy:

Probably does very little. May actually kill "some" worms, in "some life stages IDK. The country is full of good looking cattle getting minimum care.

I know some ranchers swear by Dawn, the original blue, even in place of lube & treating scours (they just squirt some down the throat). My vet is skeptical and I'm not interested in experimenting to save a couple bucks - but I do use it to give my dogs a bath.

Some guys around here think cattle like short grass better, so they shred their pastures accordingly. Good dewormer is worth pennies compared to the value of a cow or calf these days.

there are lots of pretty good wormers and many of them are relatively cheap. i know nothing about if dish soap works or not but i tend to doubt it. my advice would be to stick with wormer for worming and dish soap for dishes.
if you start using it, keep us posted on any findings.

Years ago we had a neighbor that swore by Basic H (or whatever it's called) for worming his goats. He could never understand why his goats looked like crap, rough coated, etc. and he had P poor milk produciton. We only wormed once a year and ours looked a whole lot better and milked well. Both his and ours were drylotted and had very little chance of picking up worms. I don;t even recall what we used but it was a drench. Not even sure what was available back in the 70s for wormers.

Dawn works really good, but you have to know how to do it--and when.
One hour after midnight, 1 week before a full moon, tie a string on an unopened bottle of Dawn, and swing it around your head 5 times out in the pasture. It works just as good as putting it in their water, up their butts or down their throats.

greybeard":3ux64kzr said:
One hour after midnight, 1 week before a full moon, tie a string on an unopened bottle of Dawn, and swing it around your head 5 times out in the pasture. It works just as good as putting it in their water, up their butts or down their throats.

Excellent! I just snorted out my coffee :lol:

You can get 500 cc of fake Ivomec for $125. That'll worm 45 cows. I realize it doesn't work as well as the original, but it about has to be better than dawn soap.

greybeard":3j98v4wz said:
Great !!!! Wife just bought the super sized bottle. I'm in business !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

greybeard nailed it.

I've seen lots of folks make that claim about the Basic H stuff. Think Joel Salatin is one of them... it just further supported my opinion of him as something of a charlatan and huckster.
No documented evidence, that I've ever seen, that it does anything in the way of 'deworming' - and from an animal (and nematode parasite) physiology standpoint, I can't even begin to imagine how a surfactant(detergent), diluted out in drinking water, would have ANY effect whatsoever on 'worms' in a cow's GI tract.

I agree with Lucky.
I once knew a farmer with some really nice, well bred mares. They were bred to a good paint stud. He believed in worming with chewing tobacco.
Well one day he had one of his mares down with colic. She was about 10 months bred. She eventually died or was put down. The vet opened her up there in the pasture to see what had happened. The worms just flooded out of her!! She was carrying the prettiest paint foal, (almost to term.) dead. What a loss simply because of ignorance.

I just bought a 1000 ML bottle of Synanthic for $190. It's by far the best wormer I've ever used and I''ve tried a bunch of them. Plan on working about 20 cows and calves tomorrow. I highly recommend it.

KW

tnwalkingred":jgrkts3j said:
I just bought a 1000 ML bottle of Synanthic for $190. It's by far the best wormer I've ever used and I''ve tried a bunch of them. Plan on working about 20 cows and calves tomorrow. I highly recommend it.

KW

You gotta drench that one don't ya?

midTN_Brangusman":35ry4sut said:
I have a neighbor that has some of the best looking cows in my area. He doesn't work his cattle, he also doesn't buy cattle to bring on the farm. He swears by worming his cows with soap in their watering trough. Have any of you tried this before? and if so, What kind of soap/amount per gallon would you recommend? I am wanting to try this, wouldn't have even give it a second thought if his cattle didn't look the way they do. Thanks for the time! :cboy:
It could be that his cattle have just built up an immunity to the worms. I don't worm my cattle once or twice a year just for good measure. If they are looking fine, actin fine, doin fine I leave em alone. Of course they are moved to a fresh paddock every day and are not having to lick the ground. On a occasion I'll worm one that may look they may need it otherwise they get left alone. BTW its my understanding that you don't want to kill every worm in a cow or horse anyway.
I have heard of people worming horses every time they turn around and then selling them to someone who didn't and they die or get extremely sick because they were so used to being wormed and now had no resistance.

Latest posts